Gillette Fatboy F-1 Restored (video)

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
MensSoapCo

Gillette Fatboy F-1 Restored (video)

Post by MensSoapCo »

I finally got myself to restore a vintage safety razor that needed some TLC. Scored a Gillette F-1 that was pretty out of shape and needed a new home. Here is my very first restoration attempt. Let me know what you guys think.

Restoring a Vintage Double Edge Safety Razor - 1960 Gillette Adjustable Fatboy F1

Thanks,
Omar
The irritation-free shaving soaps!
Shop Men's Soap Company - MensSoap.com
Bill_K

Re: Gillette Fatboy F-1 Restored (video)

Post by Bill_K »

Wow - that's really nice work, Omar! How long did it take you, start to finish?
Bill
MensSoapCo

Post by MensSoapCo »

Thank you, Bill. I didn't keep track of time, mainly because it was done over a few days. However, if I were to have no breaks, start to finish would take about 3-4 hours with my way of doing things. This includes time needed to soak and sanitize pre (with hot water and soap) and post cleaning (with Barbicide), where you just have to let them be in solutions 30 minutes at a time. Sure, it can be done in much less time, but I'm a careful hand and don't like to drive hard into the existing finish unnecessarily. Also, a lot of the prep work eats into that time as well.
Bill_K wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 pm Wow - that's really nice work, Omar! How long did it take you, start to finish?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Omar, thanks for the informative video. Well done!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
MensSoapCo

Post by MensSoapCo »

brothers wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm Omar, thanks for the informative video. Well done!
Thank you, Gary!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Omar, that was impressive. I have never seen one of these razors disassembled, let alone undergo such a complete cleaning and replating.

When I started the video, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch such a long video, but it held my interest to the end. Good work!

- Murray
MensSoapCo

Post by MensSoapCo »

Thanks, Murray. It's interesting that you mentioned the length of the video. I grappled with that as well, but there are just many stages that needed to be showcased to appreciate the work that goes into restoring these razors. Most people prefer no more than 5 minutes, but I really didn't want to cater to people who aren't in it to see and learn something new. Your feedback is valuable, though, as I do need to at least consider a balance for future videos.

Omar
CMur12 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 pm Omar, that was impressive. I have never seen one of these razors disassembled, let alone undergo such a complete cleaning and replating.

When I started the video, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch such a long video, but it held my interest to the end. Good work!

- Murray