New Gillette Razor - guess how many blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

New Gillette Razor - guess how many blades?

Post by Pauldog »

My understanding is that the Skinguard cartridge fits the Fusion and Gillette 5 handles, as well as its own handle. It has two blades, with a special guard under each of them. The two guards are different from each other, too.

Apparently, Gillette realized that they could get new customers by dealing with irritation and razor bumps. I bet this means that 5 blades will be the most you'll see on a Gillette.

I'm somewhat tempted to try it. My previous favorites have been the Mach 3 and the Guard, and this one is somewhat in between those two. I'm wondering, though, what kind of limit there is on the closeness of the shave.
Attachments
Skinguard.png
Skinguard.png (11.95 KiB) Viewed 7634 times
CMur12

Re: New Gillette Razor - guess how many blades?

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, it would seem that Gillette had to find another direction to pursue other than more blades. This does look like some good thought and engineering went into it.

- Murray
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

The marketing weenies at Gillette/P&G went as far as they could go with these time honored
word to live by in America:

"If more is better, then too much is just right."
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

At age 73, I still remember a middle school teacher telling me she could sum up the American value system in nine words -- big is good, bigger is better, biggest is best. Hmmmmm, sounds accurate to me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My first thought as I read this is that it's a re-appearance of the Trac II with a twist. Guards. I've always liked the Trac II. I'm interested in reading reviews of this one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Each blade has its own guard, and I think that spaces the blades farthar apart than on the Trac II.

Think of the guards as border collies for your stubble.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:37 am Each blade has its own guard, and I think that spaces the blades farthar apart than on the Trac II.

Think of the guards as border collies for your stubble.
I like your metaphor, Paul. =D>

I kind of like this change of direction and fresh thinking on Gillette's part.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think part of it was that the Mach 3 is still giving the Fusion a run for its money.

But I don't see this new one as becoming more popular than the Fusion or Mach 3. I think the idea is to sell to people using neither of them.

I don't think there's a women's version. There's a Venus 5 as well as the regular 3-blade Venus.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Has anyone tried this razor yet? I was tempted to get one, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm hoping to spend not much over $5, which is the main obstacle.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Pauldog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 pm I'm somewhat tempted to try it. My previous favorites have been the Mach 3 and the Guard, and this one is somewhat in between those two. I'm wondering, though, what kind of limit there is on the closeness of the shave.
Yes, I too get that sometimes, as Gillette propaganda makes the claimed improvements in razor design sound all too convincing.

My interest wanes when I look at the price tag and realize I really don’t want to know that hard and recall that past shaves with heavily promoted new cartridge razors designs never impressed me much.

If Gillette should have discovered the bee’s knees however, I am sure that people other than Gilette will soon trumpet it from every knoll in the country....

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I tried the new Gillette razor. It gives off a ton of goop from the lubricating strips - too much for my liking, but I only used the razor 2x. I stopped because I started getting bumps on my face and neck area similar to the ones I would get from using the Fusion or Mach 3. Also, certain portions of my cheek did not get shaven well at all near the top, even with a XTG pass.

Decided to shut it down as do not have these issues with my DE shaves, and normally if I find myself trying to allow my skin to get used to a razor it never happens and my skin takes the brunt of it. My skin is pretty sensitive, so YMMV. For perspective, all electrics cause it issues, and even the Trac II with extended use might cause a bump or two on my neck. Can only use DE as a daily shaver.

Mike
Mike
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Mike, I suppose that some DE blades would give you trouble, too. Have you tried injector or Gem-type razors?

I had forgotten about lubricating strips, which I'm not that fond of. I found a Skinguard with one cartridge on eBay for $7, so I went ahead. It should arrive this week.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, you definitely made the right decision, considering what happened after only 2 shaves. Thanks for the report!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It came in the mail late last week, but I haven't tried it yet. (LOL full disclosure: I have a fairly heavy beard right now, and haven't shaved at all for over a month.) The handle is marked "Fusion." It's a mostly silver colored handle where the ball doesn't move. (I don't know how many Fusion handle variations there are; I've never used or owned a Fusion.) The pivoting of the cartridge is very similar to the Mach 3, but the cartridge itself is bulkier, more similar to the Schick Hydro.