Razor recommendations for shaving your head?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
X14Halo

Razor recommendations for shaving your head?

Post by X14Halo »

I'm looking to switch from buzzing my head with electric clippers to actually shaving it with a razor and maintaining it that way.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm up in the air about a safety razor, or something specifically designed for bald heads like the Headblade (both I found here: https://www.happilybald.com/best-razor- ... ing-heads/)

Does anybody have any experience shaving their head with a safety razor? How often do you cut yourself with that kind of thing?

Thanks!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Razor recommendations for shaving your head?

Post by Pauldog »

I know one person who likes the Gillette Atra for shaving his head, and someone else who likes the Sensor. To get an inexpensive Atra or Sensor, look for the Asian market Vector (Atra) or Vector 3 (Sensor), though the Vector 3 would come with 3-blade cartridges.

The new twin blade Gillette Skinguard may work well. It's made to avoid razor bumps, so it should give your head an extra margin of safety. The cartridge fits on the Fusion handle.

Another possibility is the Schick Protector, which is still available online. It has two wire-wrapped floating blades inside a cartridge.

The Gillette Guard sold in India and available online is a single blade pivoting cartridge with a reusable but very light plastic handle. It would probably be the least expensive cartridge razor to try.

The Personna Bump Fighter is compatible with the Trac II, but it comes with blades with a guard on them, so it's likely to be a little safer than regular Trac II blades.

If it weren't discontinued and popular enough to be pretty expensive online, I'd also recommend the Schick Tracer, Tracer FX, and FX Diamond razors. The cartridge is flexible and could accomodate to a certain extent the curve of your head.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, X14Halo!

I'm not a head-shaver, myself, but I think Clive (fallingwickets) uses a Gillette Fusion. Some have actually used DE (double-edge) razors for this purpose, but it involves more risk and requires more skill. Paul's recommendations sound good to me, for the reasons he provides.

(By the way, the Schick Tracer was my favorite cartridge razor.)

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I had to look up the Omnishaver. It looks like two Fusion cartridges in a frame. You move the frame back and forth, making for a very fast shave.

Not cheap, though - they're well over $10 each.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I don't shave my head, but I do shave the back of my neck to try to keep the hairline there clean. I usually use an injector razor, even if that's not what I just used that day on my face.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My plan for no hair on the head is working brilliantly well. I do nothing except keep on having birthdays every year, and I'm almost to the point that the hair is completely gone, requiring no mechanical processes whatsoever. It seems to be an automatic biological process.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

Oh thats an ease dont need to wash it everyday.