Head weight - aluminum vs. brass

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Head weight - aluminum vs. brass

Post by brothers »

With the General, there appears to be a barely discernible difference. It may be just my imagination, but I think the first 15 or so shaves turn out best with the lighter aluminum razor head, and shaves 16 through 30 seem to benefit with the heavier and meticulously machined brass head. The blade starts out quite sharp and after a couple of weeks the shaves are still outstanding, but the technique changes a little bit, calling for a little more pressure and a slower draw. It might be that these changes in the second phase benefits from the obviously additional mass and the microscopic differences in the machining of the brass head. I'm just wondering if this is possible. What do you guys think? Not just the General, of course, but any kind of razor heads of both materials.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Head weight - aluminum vs. brass

Post by drmoss_ca »

Are you talking about two separate blades, one doing better in the aluminium head at first, whilst the other does better when older in the brass head? Moving a blade from one razor to another is always a bad idea in my experience. You are right that you don't know whether any difference is due to slight variations in machining, the weight difference, or blade-to-blade variation. I think you need about ten examples of each razor and an assistant who can keep you in the dark about how old a blade is when handing you a razor for the day, which you will shave with and then rate the results. At the end of an extended period the age of blade, type of razor head and your ratings can be analysed for any such pattern. It's a shame we can't blind you to the razor you are using, but even if you couldn't see it you could tell the difference by weight, and you need to see to shave. Unless your assistant is an experienced wetshaver, and shaves you whilst you are blindfolded. Then you rate the shave you have just had.

Ah, science!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Same blade. Scientists are so cool and smug with all of their Johnny Whizbang graphs and scientific protocols. As for me. I say trust your guts!🤪
Last edited by brothers on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Upon reflection, the bottom line comes down to this: these whiskers keep growing and never stopping. I really should just chill out and enjoy the shave! :D
Gary