Deep Cleaning stains in textured handles

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
obsessis

Deep Cleaning stains in textured handles

Post by obsessis »

I recently got a Coles Slant Razor and like lots of old razors it is very dirty in the textured part of the handle. What is the best way to clean it? I tried brasso and a toothbrush but I can't get a cloth in there to buff it well enough to remove the dirt.

What are your tips/suggestions I assume soaking it/coating it in cleaner would be the best way to expose the textured part to cleaner....
joseph
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Hard graft Joe,

If you have one try blasting it with a hand-held steam cleaner.

Rubbing away for hours on end with the thicker nappy wipes.

Wet the handle and rub with foil..., this brings back the shine on chrome etc.

Regards
John
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I hate to ask a dumb question, but are sure it's actually dirt you're trying to clean off? My Hoffritz slant had a sort of patina on the textured part of the handle (but nowhere else) that's now gone thanks to my cleaning it with toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. Also my two Pomco slants actually have painted handles; one is black and the other one is white.

Scott
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

The Hoffritz I just received had a white handle with white trim on the bottom knob. The handle was "stained", so a light scrub with Brasso cleared most of it up. Then I soaked it in pure Dawn dishwashing soap for a half hour...that cleaned up the rest. Most of the paint has dulled so I may experiment with stripping it down and repainting it.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

scott - yes, i can see that the twist knob and scored part was white at one time....it now is stained brownish in parts. i think i may have to try to just take it all off. you said that toothpaste took off the white paint?
joseph
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

Toothpaste and a rotary electric toothbrush took off a lot of the dark color that was on the handle, but whether that was paint or grime, I don't know. If you want to remove the paint there's probably better ways to do it, I'm sure.

After looking at my Hoffritz slant, I think the handle on it may have been painted black, but there's very little paint left on it.

Scott
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

the smooth chrome parts on each side of the scored/textured handle were blackish....don't know if it was paint or not but I took it off.

the razor looks OK now, I don't have an electric toothbrush, though. are there any really cheap ones? I wouldn't mind buying one for $5 or $10 if it was a good razor cleaner...
joseph
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

The electric toothbrush idea is one I've got to try. I don't have a premium electric toothbrush (OralB, Sonicare, etc.). Do the battery-powered Crest rotary toothbrushes work reasonably well?

Dave
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Has anyone tried soaking in coca cola? Reaching way back into my childhood, we used to clean up pennies by soaking them in Coke. I think it was initially a science teacher demonstrating how coke could be eating our internal organs, but mostly we all just thought "Cool! Let's make all our pennies shine!".
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have a similar old razor which I cleaned. But while I was cleaning, I saw lacquer flaking off the handle (this was the standard non-chrome non-paint non-anything model). Now it has a metallic smell when I shave. What do I do now? Does anybody re-lacquer things like this and actually do a good job? (I suppose the metallic smell means the handle will slowly deteriorate now that I've removed the remaining protection - any opinions?)
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

Do the battery-powered Crest rotary toothbrushes work reasonably well?
I have a battery powered Oral-B. I got it for Chrismas, so I have no idea how much it cost, but I don't think they're expensive. Just like Gillette does with cartridge razors, the electric toothbrush companies make their profit on the brushes.

Scott
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I have a similar old razor which I cleaned. But while I was cleaning, I saw lacquer flaking off the handle (this was the standard non-chrome non-paint non-anything model). Now it has a metallic smell when I shave. What do I do now? Does anybody re-lacquer things like this and actually do a good job? (I suppose the metallic smell means the handle will slowly deteriorate now that I've removed the remaining protection - any opinions?)
I haven't had that happen and don't know how to remedy it, but this sort of thing is one of the dangers of cleaning razors or any other vintage item. When I was scrubbing my slant's handle and saw that more than dirt seemed to be coming off, I stopped even though most of it was already cleaned off. Heavy cleaning and any kind of finish removal on vintage razors makes me a uncomfortable because I worry I'm going to ruin the razor.

Scott
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

notthesharpest wrote:I have a similar old razor which I cleaned. But while I was cleaning, I saw lacquer flaking off the handle (this was the standard non-chrome non-paint non-anything model). Now it has a metallic smell when I shave. What do I do now? Does anybody re-lacquer things like this and actually do a good job? (I suppose the metallic smell means the handle will slowly deteriorate now that I've removed the remaining protection - any opinions?)
Knott,

Run by the hardware store and see what they have to offer. No reason you can't put a coat on yourself.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

SidSeizure wrote:I haven't had that happen and don't know how to remedy it, but this sort of thing is one of the dangers of cleaning razors or any other vintage item. When I was scrubbing my slant's handle and saw that more than dirt seemed to be coming off, I stopped even though most of it was already cleaned off. Heavy cleaning and any kind of finish removal on vintage razors makes me a uncomfortable because I worry I'm going to ruin the razor.
Quite true. In this case it was an "ebay special" that already apparently had most of the lacquer gone. I just finshed the job, using a nylon bristle brush and plain water.

I think if I lacquer it myself I'll make bubbles and lumps and make it worse. I've never lacquered anything before.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Nott,

I'm going to paint the Slant I just got. Most of the paint has faded away, and although I've never painted anything like a razor before, I figure I have nothing to lose!

Randy
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

Ichabod wrote:Has anyone tried soaking in coca cola? Reaching way back into my childhood, we used to clean up pennies by soaking them in Coke. I think it was initially a science teacher demonstrating how coke could be eating our internal organs, but mostly we all just thought "Cool! Let's make all our pennies shine!".
that is an interesting idea.
joseph
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Cola has phosphoric acid in it - I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of that compared to other acids.

Lots of sugar though - after the treatment, your razor would be sweeet. 8)
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

notthesharpest wrote:Cola has phosphoric acid in it - I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of that compared to other acids.

Lots of sugar though - after the treatment, your razor would be sweeet. 8)
:lol:

This was in a world with no diet coke, or diet anything. In fact I'm pretty sure things were labelled "now with extra lard!".

I just bought a lot of razors with a couple of dirtier looking ones in it - maybe I'll try a coke bath on one and report back...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

I've had a lot of success with my portable steam cleaner. Its not magic, but it works pretty well.

Graham
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

slaneyg wrote:I've had a lot of success with my portable steam cleaner. Its not magic, but it works pretty well.

Graham
you are the second person who i have heard use a steam cleaner. i don't even really know what one is. i need to find someone with one to borrow.
joseph