Merkur 1904

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
McNutt

Merkur 1904

Post by McNutt »

Today I received my last shaving purchase for awhile. My 1904 and Futur leather pouch were on my doorstep. The leather pouch fit my Futur nicely, but it will also hold all of my razors equally well.

Much shinier than my other three razors. The engraved hexagonal handle makes for a great fit in my hand. It just seems to align itself perfectly.

Unlike the HD, the 1904 breaks down just like the old Gillette Techs. Unscrew the handle and the head comes apart to replace the blade.

You can see here that the razor is about the same size as the Gillette Super Speed. I always liked the size of the Super Speed, but it was a little too easy to chew up my neck with that razor. Looking at the heads side by side I could see that the 1904 had a sharper bend on the blade than the Super Speed. I really think I'm going to like the curvature of the 1904's blade as it will allow me to hold the razor at a more natural angle.

I think I might have found razor perfection. My shave this morning was completed in record time with no nicks and smooth results. It's a little odd that I never really felt the blade as the razor went across my face. Sometimes I'd have to check and make sure it was cutting. I didn't feel the blade scrape like normal, but it was most definitely doing its magic. I never felt like I was in danger of cutting myself.

I was also able to get my chin and moustache close enough to not need the electric razor touch up. That really impressed me. My Futur can't cut that area due to its big head.

The hexagonal shape of the handle is great. It was like memory grooves for your hand. I flip the razor after every stroke and the handle made it easy for me to blindly get proper alignment.

I really don't see me using my Gillettes any more and to be honest I probably won't use my Futur all that much if I can get daily shaves like I did today. Later on I might buy another Merkur with an open comb just to check that out.

The 1904 is highly recommended, especially at $22.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Tony, one of those just might become my first non-Gillette DE razor. I say that because I am slowly becoming a fan of the three piece DE. The epitome of simplicity with virtually nothing can go wrong or wear out. I've got about a week in on my new Tech and it is A-One in my book. Enjoy your new kit.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Tony,

The 1904 is IMV Merkurs most under-rated razor - it and the HD are great first buy razors...., much nicer IMV than say the Progress.

JohnV is right on the money - it is the simplicity of the three-piece that I like.

I personally much prefer combs on three-piecers, although Merkurs comb shape isn't as nice as the vintage NEW profile. If it were I think a lot more younger gentlemen would begin to recognise how effective the comb is, instead of at the moment it is thought of as somehow inferior to the bar.

Nice pics Tony, I hope it reassures some new shavers to go for Merkurs cheapest razor because by no means is it inferior.

Regards
John
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

That's gorgeous, and now I want one.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
javyn

Post by javyn »

I have just gotten done with my first week's rotation using the 1904. It is definately a beautiful razor, but I cut myself up using it! I don't know if it is because the Swedish Gillette blades are too sharp for me or what. This is a different kind of nick too...not an "ouch, oh crap I cut myself" nick, but more of a noticing bright red blood on the razor before rinsing it and thinking "how in the hell did I cut myself? I felt nothing!"

How did it shave your neck and chin Tony? Were you able to get it close and irritation free even though you weren't able to dial it down like you can with an adjustable? Those are my problem areas with this razor. I dice my chin up with the S-N pass and often leave hair on my neck.
John
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

javyn wrote: This is a different kind of nick too...not an "ouch, oh crap I cut myself" nick, but more of a noticing bright red blood on the razor before rinsing it and thinking "how in the hell did I cut myself? I felt nothing!"
This sums up most of the nicks I get. I only use Merkur razors. The 1904 shaves the same as an HD, I like the HD more because of its heft and super grippy handle.
Richard
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

Initially I did not have particularly close shaves with the 1904......this was using creams. I was using it mainly as a touch up razor if I was going out in the evening.
Recently however....I have been experimenting with hard soaps, and I have found the quality of shave to be up there with the best.

I really like it's looks!

Brian
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've only shaved once with it and that was using a Conk soap. I'll report back in a week after trying other soaps/creams. My neck and chin came out better than with any other razor, including the Futur set low. Well, my neck came out the same as with the Futur, but my chin came out better. I still use great care with the Futur on my chin and I didn't use such care with the 1904. I don't know what it is about it, but I was able to get extremely close with zero blood. It seemed to be so easy that towards the end of my shave I was running it over my face at a speed I would never have used with another razor.

One thing I don't do with my Futur is go over the same spot multiple times without relathering. With the 1904 and Conk soap, which I find very slick, I was able to do quick touchups without having to relather. I really think part of my success with the 1904 is due to the light weight of the razor.

I'll keep you guys posted.