Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
python8210

Razor

Post by python8210 »

I would like to ask all you gents on here what double edge razor shaves as well as a str8t razor does, eliminating the honing and stroping one that shaves close,smooth clean fresh looking face. As long as preshave preparation work is done properly what double edge would you suggest excluding the Vision/Futur Thanks Gents Cheer!!! :roll:
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I use a Merkur Progress and like it very much (I haven't tried a slant bar yet).

I think that Joel seems to think that the slant bar is the closest to a str8.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon, I entirely concur with Joel, right down the line. If you're already a fine hand with a straight razor, but just don't wish to deal with it on a daily basis anymore, then try a Merkur slant bar. But if this would be your first foray into traditional razors, do NOT try a slant bar. In that case, a vintage Gillette DE, Schick Injector, or less expensive Merkur DE ( with the safety bar ), would be your best bets. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

joel, gordon and others: i tried the open comb merkur and it did not shave ME well at all. so, do u think that the slant bar is a closer shave then the vision all the way open? i do agree that i get the closest on my face with a straight but the vision is real close behind. as to my neck, id get closer with a mach 3 but at terrible irritation. right now, the vision cuts me close and then the straight, but that open comb,heck it did not do well at all

sam