Razor burn help.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
blasterjumper

Razor burn help.

Post by blasterjumper »

I just got my DE razor two days ago and this morning on my second shave with it, I decided to go against the grain on my neck. Well that was a bad idea because now i have razor burn. Should I stop shaving for a few days to let my face heal, or just continue to shave with the DE everyday so my face gets used to the new razor?
Sage

Post by Sage »

I am no expert (yet), but I'd hold off until it feels a tad better, and I definitely would not go against the grain for a while. I have been using a DE for a few months. I tried going against the grain once, and it was a very uncomfortable experience. I have found that after really getting used to the DE, I can get a very close shave going with the grain only, and I don't have the razor burn from going against the grain.

Andy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

blaster: dont make the mistake i did, or one of them at least. this is not a race to see who can master the DE the fastest. shave with the grain and make two of those passes and then use what you used before. when the face heals up, try to shave a portion of the neck with the DE. it takes a while to understand what it means when we say, dont shave with pressure, but let the weight of the razor do it. i am learning straights and still have to use my de to touch up my neck. soon, or maybe not so soon, there will be that ureka moment and i will find a technique that works. so if it takes two more months, who cares?

sam
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

All good post so far. You might try going sideways at an angle to the grain of your beard for a few days before trying to go against the grain.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

blaster,
The way I learned the DE, and how to apply little (if no pressure), was to close my eyes during each stroke.
Sounds odd, but it forces you to slow down, pay attention to the area you are shaving and how you are using the razor. After a few weeks of this I felt far more comfortable with my new DE.
I will also agree with others who said do not shave against the grain until you are more comfortable with the DE. Then wait another two weeks before going against the grain.
blasterjumper

Post by blasterjumper »

thanks for the tips. My face is looking alot better this morning, but i am going to give it a couple more days to heal, but then ill be back with the DE again.
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

BlasterJumper,
If you still continue to have problems, try using Brave Soldier Code Blue aftershave. This was always by my side when learning how to shave with a DE. Don't worry though, your face will adjust. I still use the Code Blue even now when every now and again I get a little spot of irritation.
Randy
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Blasterjumper,

You might want to try shave oil (not pre-shave oil). I use the shave oil from Pacific Shaving Company. I rub it in my beard before I lather up. No irritation al all, three passes, even against the grain. I had the same problem with razor burn as you.

You can get the oil directly from Pacific Shaving or Charles at QED. It comes in a 1/2 ounce dropper bottle. You apply 8-10 drops before you lather. It even moisturizes a bit and is virtually scentless. If I need a bit of moisturizing, I just put 6 drops in my palm, rub together and apply to my face. Lasts for easily 50 shaves or so.

Whole Foods Market has Shave Deluxe, a similar oil, but with a stronger menthol scent. Remember, it is shave oil, NOT pre-shave oil. Big difference.

My son uses it when he shaves with his M3. He does not use any creams, just the oil.

Give it a try. For me, it made a huge difference in the comfort of the DE shave. I never shave without it. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Richard
Dallas, Texas
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

BJ, one thing you need to do is be clear on the direction of beard growth (aka grain). I uploaded a series of diagrams into the gallery detailing the direction of beard growth and shaving directions which work well for me ( http://www.shavemyface.com/gallery/thum ... p?album=29 ). I use the Gillette adjustable and nonadjustable (red-tip) razors and am learning how to keep a straight razor sharp. I have never had a case of razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc. When I am through, I rinse well with warm water, then cool water, then apply a coating of Proraso Liquid Creme. I suggest you do as the guys suggest and 1)Learn the direction of beard growth, 2)Take short strokes with the razor, 3)Let the razor do the work (no- or very-little pressure), 4)Stretch the skin before the stroke (use an alum block to allow the fingers to cut through the soapy film) and 5)Make sure you cleanse, tone, and moisturize (very important)

Happy Shaving!
~Tim 8)

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Big Smoke

Post by Big Smoke »

I posted this elsewhere, but I just got a product called "Against the Grain" pre-shave balm. It allows me to go against the grain, getting a better shave, and no razor burn. I just used some for the first time in over a year, and I remember why I liked it so much. You can check it out here.
DiMeola Products
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

That stuff looks interesting. What are the ingredients? I did not see any on the site.
Joey