Antique Str8s

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
kal

Antique Str8s

Post by kal »

I bought all my Str8s (with one exception) new from retailers, so I'm not familiar with the older out of production manufacturers , not even the more famous ones. I am tempted at times to place a bid on e-bay but fear I would be venturing into unkown territory. Other than lower cost or the collectability factor, are there other advantages to buying older Str8s such as blade quality or better shaving experience ?
navajadeafeitar

Post by navajadeafeitar »

Can't think of any real shaving advantage to getting an old straight, unless you score one of the fabled DublDuck Wonderedges and the like. These are supposed to be the best shavers, made of some magical Swedish steel (No, I don't have one :wink: ) Of course, you'll have to fork out a small fortune to get one of these. I got about half the straights I have from ebay, the rest from antique shops/ flea markets etc. just because I'm cheap, and also like to own, restore and use some thing that's about a hundred years old and still works.

From what I understand, blade quality has improved, so what you buy today from Dovo or Thiers-Issard is probably hard to beat. Still sometimes you'd be surprised how some no-name junk shop special ends up being your favorite shaver.

best,

Nirmal
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I think there is DEFINITE advantage to getting older razors. Yes there are always newer steels coming out, but at the same time even now some of the "great" steels just becoming popular were formulated before world war one.......D2 anybody?......DOVO and TI are using the same steels they ALWAYS have....after all razors aren't used by Navy SEAL team members to pry doors off their hinges...they just shave.
Anyway there were more manufacturers, more skilled razor grinders, more forges making razors....you can get the same quality as many of them in a new razor, but with all the manual labor and skill involved in producing one the newer ones will be considerably more expensive. A good, hand-forged straight with a 7/8" blade and a genuine horn handle and brass pins costs in the 400 to $500 range (TI), whereas one can get the same type of craftsmanship, albeit 40+ years old, (or more) for under $50 if one buys a razor from its glory days. I have so far had great luck with most of the old US manufacturers I've tried, as well as English, Swedish, French, and German.
Want a good starter to prove my point? buy a razor from J.A. Henckels, that appears to have a decent blade (no nicks etc) get it honed, you will become a true believer, I would think. I have never had a bad Henckels razor. I have had a bad DOVO, although one of my favorites is ALSO a DOVO.
John P.
navajadeafeitar

Hi John:

I see that you're from San Diego. I live in Vista, so it's good to see a fellow San Diegan... Which part of the county are you from?

best,

Nirmal
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Hi Nirmal,
Vista? thats CLOSE! (I bought my first GOOD strop in Julian.....)
I am originally from North Carolina,
I am stationed here at North Island. My friends think I'm weird.....
John P
navajadeafeitar

Hi John:

Was it at the knife shop right off the main drag in Julian? (not that there are that many shops in Julian that are not on the main street) I think I bought some knives there once years ago, but wasn't aware that he had strops. Does he have any straights as well? Come to think of it, are there any cutlery stores in San Diego that carry straight razors?

North Island I see. I go bicycling down the strand once in a while. Have you been to the barber shop down in Coronado where they have straight razors shaves. I've lived here for 9 years now, but never made it there. One of these days...

best,

Nirmal