Long Handle Advice

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Red Bob

Long Handle Advice

Post by Red Bob »

Gents,

I'm reading good things about the long handled razors, but I'm not sure which one I should try. The obvious choice seems to be the Merkur Classic Long Handle, but are there others I need to know about? Don't the Futur and Vision has long handles? Also, what's the real advantage?..... or is it a disadvantage for someone relatively inexperienced with a DE?

I like my Progress, but it sometimes seems a little small in my hand and I don't really feel like I have a lot of control of the blade angle for some reason. Probably just in my head.........along with the many, many voices ](*,)
“When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves.” Viktor Frankl

Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I have the Merkur long handle, but I prefer the Gillette Super Adjustable, so that's what I'd recommend (you can get them on eBay at a reasonable price). I don't think the long handle is a disadvantage if you're inexperienced. It just changes the way you hold your razor, and the weight is distributed differently. I find that it fits my hands/fingers better. Definitely worth a try.

Maynard
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I wish Merkur would come out with a long-handled Progress with a textured handle and metal adjustment knob.

My own personal favorite long handled DEs are the Futur and the Parker 90R.

Scott
Red Bob

Post by Red Bob »

Maynard,

If you'd ever like to part with your Merkur LH, let me know! I am going to eBay now...............your recommendation awaits :P
“When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves.” Viktor Frankl

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nothing wrong with a long handle for a beginner. The advantage is either comfort for large hands, or just liking the feel of a longer handle. If you're concerned about beginner ease and safety, I wouldn't recommend Futur or Vision - but not because of the length of their handles.

Gillettes and regular Merkurs with long handles are safe bets. If you think you might like a long handle, chances are you will.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I started shaving with the Atra, which is a long handle. My first DE is a HD Classic. I thought I needed a long handle, so I traded for a Merkur Open Comb long handle, and bought numerous Gillette long handles. I still prefer the HD Classic or my Progress. IMO, for me, I prefer the thicker handles of the HD and Progress, vs. the longer thin handles.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I'll throw in the Schick Krona as an inexpensive vintage option
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

The Gillette long handled razor with the pretty colors and stars can be fished out of the Bay pretty cheaply.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Ichabod wrote:The Gillette long handled razor with the pretty colors and stars can be fished out of the Bay pretty cheaply.
The Lady Gillettes?

One thing I won't do is share my razors with any woman--even women of yesteryear. Our razors are used for entirely different (and, IMO, incompatible--as far as razors go anyway) body regions! :wink:
Danny
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Cigar Dan wrote:
Ichabod wrote:The Gillette long handled razor with the pretty colors and stars can be fished out of the Bay pretty cheaply.
The Lady Gillettes?

One thing I won't do is share my razors with any woman--even women of yesteryear. Our razors are used for entirely different (and, IMO, incompatible--as far as razors go anyway) body regions! :wink:
I'm not sure if it's a lady, I prefer to think of it as a slut Gillette.

A good day for me is one during which my face spends more time close to the female areas you mention than to other men's faces... :lol:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Red Bob,

Quite a few Gentlemen (including myself) like the long black handled Gillette Super Adjustable - a long handled bar-guard Merkur is also a good option.

Regards
John
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Red Bob,

This razor on eBay is particularly nice : 6625524728

The gold long handled Super Adjustable is quite a rare razor (harder to find than a Toggle) because it was only produced for Christmas market of 1969 ..., so rare & a nice shaver.

Regards
John
Red Bob

Post by Red Bob »

Indeed, it is! John, I'm humbled by your superior knowledge and expertise...........do you offer an apprenticeship?

Kindly,

Red Bob [-o<

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

John, next time you eye out a rare razor on ebay, PM me first, k?

Then after I have won it and get it home I can take some hi-res pics for the slack-jaws here on SMF to drool over. I don't want those animals bidding it up before I buy it.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Oh man! That was supposed to be a private message!

No seriously, you guys are alright....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D

Is it Friday yet?
Richard
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I just got my gold long handled Gillette adjustable in the mail about an hour ago. It came in a lot and thankfully it went a bit cheaper than this razor usually goes for.

Scott
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

How'bout this long handled razor:

Peter
Peter
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Red Bob, At 6'5 with large hands the long black handle John mentioned works great for me and they still come pretty cheap compared to some others out there. Richard too knows the firm closing (final turn) that the late 60's black handle offers.

Max
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Peter, We tried to get the English Shaving Company up in Sheffield to make one of these as an adjustable. They could not do it with that Merkur head. Seems like a nice family retailer though who were interested in the request.

Max
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

RWelch76 wrote:Maynard,

If you'd ever like to part with your Merkur LH, let me know! I am going to eBay now...............your recommendation awaits :P
Thanks, but I'll hold on to it for now. I plan to... revisit it soon. Have fun on eBay and keep us posted...

Maynard