Feather blades: Little Ninjas for your face.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Dragon, Interrupted

Feather blades: Little Ninjas for your face.

Post by Dragon, Interrupted »

I had a terrible experience with these things. My technique was the same as usual but I got a terrible razor rash. I had to try them, though. I've heard good and bad things, and you never know until you experience it first hand, right? Well, I experienced it. All I can say is, OUCH!

From now on, I'll stick with Wilkinson Sword.

~James
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

James,
Sorry to hear that. With a little sympathy and perhaps a measure of empathy :-({|= , I looked like the recipient of an early morning bonzai charge after my first shave with a Feather PtSS. Patience and styptic now have me one step from the ALPHA!. I really had to lighten-up on my razor stroke and reduce the blade opening on my Vision to get it right. My first great shave with the little cut-ups (pun intended) was with Vulfix lavender creme. What a superb shave and so pleasant too. I was cooing and rubbing my jaw line and cheeks all day.

Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

The feather blade is not bad at all. Just have to be more careful and pay attention at what you are doing.
Dragon, Interrupted

Perhaps you are right. Maybe my technique is a bit sloppy. By using the Feathers, I might be able to improve my shaves if I am careful. Well, I'll give it another shot. But not this week :? Still a little irritated.

~James
guenron

Post by guenron »

~James,
That's a wise decision. I find that a week or two with a new type of blade, or razor, or brush provides the time to adapt. Good luck and good shaving! 8)
Regards
Ron
Regards,
Ron

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, Yes, indeed...'little ninjas'. Now you can see why, when forum members start rapsodising about Feather Platinum blades, I always try to interject "....but not necessarily for newcomers to DE shaving...", or somesuch. They are superior blades, very smooth, very long lasting, but VERY sharp. I got a pack last Nov., popped one into my Gillette Adjustable, and eureka!..."this is nice...my,my....". No problem. But, Ive been using a DE for decades. The old Gillette Super Blue blades were mega-sharp also, but they didn't hold up like the Feathers, being carbon steel, and not stainless. Definately, try them again, but a LIGHT touch, and a 30 degree angle, or even a little less. Regards, Gordon
guenron

Post by guenron »

Just an update on the longevity of lil' ninjas.. Shave number eight this AM. Did not get all them tiny little hars' growin' on mah face!!! :shock: Time for a new blade.

Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Dragon, Interrupted

I suppose I am still relatively new, having only used a DE for the last couple of years, and lapsing back to the M3 for a few months. I went back to the DE though because the M3 caused razor burn on my neck. Don't have that trouble with a DE.

~James
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, I didn't really mean you so much, but rather guys that really ARE new to the whole thing. You've seen the posts. Some gent started using a DE last week and is having some adjustment problems, and someone will post, "....man, you need to get some Feather blades...best damn blades there are....". A...probably, but maybe not right now, okay. I mean, you've got much more experiance, and still....little ninjas. Regards, Gordon
growler

Post by growler »

I would love to try these face ninjas. But...I don't order stuff online. Anyone know of places in NYC that carry these?
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Growler my friend a Grand City like New York must carry these wonderful sharp blades from Osaka but, unfortunately we are out of luck. Email Mayor Bloomberg, tell him to forget about the Olympics, and start concentrating instead on those wonderful sharp blades from south western Japan-our own wetshaving version of the Olympics! Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Growler, you're spoiled you see. You don't order online because, living in or near NYC, you don't have to. I know because I go up there three times a year, and always stock up on shaving products and toiletries. If I didn't, I'd be ordering much more online then I do. With Feather razor blades, however, I think you've finally hit a wall. Unless some shop has started stocking them VERY recently, there's no way to get any except by mail ordering them. Regards, Gordon
growler

Post by growler »

Drat.

And, yes, I am spoiled. I work about a block from Pasteur.

I don't shop online in general. Made myself get rid of my credit card.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I'm in the middle of a Feather Platinum trial. I tried them first in my fixed-head Edwin Jagger, where they worked best. Next was in my Vision - yikes! WAY too aggressive. Today, I tried them in my Gillette adjustable - not as frightening as with the Vision, but still not as good as in the EJ. With the EJ/Feather combo, I got a great shave pretty effortlessly. However, every time I have used a Feather so far - even in the EJ - I have gotten slight nicks and a bit of irritation, moreso than with Merkur Platinums, even though the Merkurs don't cut quite as effortlessly. So, some further advances in my technique may be in order, or it could be that my face just doesn't like them. (It sure as hell didn't like the Feather straight blades!) The jury is still out for me.
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

I had the same reaction to a Feather Platinum blade when I tried one. My routine was exactly the same as I had been doing but, like James, I horrible redness. Looked like I was perpetually blushing!

After reading this thread I'm going to give these another chance starting tomorrow. If I remember, I'll post my reactions at the end of the week.

Cheers,

-Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

Well Gents, here are the results of my second go around with Feather DE blades.

On Monday, May 2, I placed a brand new blade in my Merkur HD. Performed my normal shave prep, with the only change using my brand new Trumper rose shave cream. I had a good lather, plenty of moisture, and used a *very* light touch. The shave went really well. My first pass was N-S on the face and S-N on the neck (that just happens to be with the grain on my neck.) I did a second pass against the grain on my face and neck (as is my traditional practice) and everything went swimmingly. A few small touch-up passes and I left the bathroom with a very good shave.

On Tuesday, May 3, I did the same exact prep. Same passes. Same *very* light touch. Shave was good, but after all was said and done, I did notice a little irritation around my cheek bones. Nothing that a little aftershave treatment couldn't clear right up.

On Wednesday, May 4, things started going downhill a little more. After my initial pass on my face and neck, I had visible irritation on my cheeks while my neck looked fine. I then did my normal second pass on my neck, with no ill effects. On my face, I lathered up real good and oh-so-gently did a E-W pass because I knew that wouldn't be as hard on my face. At the end, my cheeks had a nice rosey glow (and it wasn't the bourbon!!) that went away about an hour after I applied my after-shave balm.

On Thursday, May 5, after the same prep, I could only do a N-S pass on my face and the S-N pass on my neck. Cheeks nice and rosey after this shave.

On Friday, May 6, the best I could do without looking like I had as much rouge on as a cheap burlesque dancer, was my initial pass.

Unfortunately, I think that these ninjas are just a little too sharp for my face. I'll stick to my Merkur Platinums.

Cheers,

-Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid