Early Gillette One-Piece Razors--a work in progress

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

With The Grain wrote:Dominic, is yours an american or english version? either way it would be interesting to hear your impressions on it now.
It's a US version. No less than four (4) patent numbers on it.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Have any of you seen an english razor that is open comb like the Regent Tech, but has the bulldog handle. I got one in sad shape in a trade and can't seem to find info on it...
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Sfox7076 wrote:Have any of you seen an english razor that is open comb like the Regent Tech, but has the bulldog handle. I got one in sad shape in a trade and can't seem to find info on it...
i believe you're describing the razor we're talking about, i think :)
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

No, I don't think it is. I have two of the silver versions of the one you are discussing above. One in the box, one out of the box. This has a different bulldog handle and has Brit. Pat. No. 430030 written on the bottom. I will try to photograph them side by side tonight. The Regent Tech is much lighter. On the order of a superspeed, while the one you are talking of is more like the heft of a #66 or a #58.

Shawn
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Sfox7076 wrote:No, I don't think it is. I have two of the silver versions of the one you are discussing above. One in the box, one out of the box. This has a different bulldog handle and has Brit. Pat. No. 430030 written on the bottom. I will try to photograph them side by side tonight. The Regent Tech is much lighter. On the order of a superspeed, while the one you are talking of is more like the heft of a #66 or a #58.

Shawn
yup going to need a pic, im pretty confused as to what you're describing now... something the weight of a regent tech but with a bulldog handle? an open comb like a regent tech with a "bulldog" handle sounds a lot like the above razor :? different bulldog handle? like different knurling? I am lost :(

edit- just checked and the razor we're talking about above is the one with Brit pat No 430030 on it, so i guess the question is what are the other two you have?
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

I think it is a Sheraton, but with a pattern on the TTO knob that I have never seen.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Ok, so here are the razors I was discussing. On the left is the Aristocrat, on the right is what I can only assume is the Sheraton. Image

Now, here is the patern on the bottom of the Sheraton handle. I have not seen it on any other razor... Image

Any help would be great.

Shawn
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

No answer?
c white

Post by c white »

I had to bite my tongue for awhile, but one just like it ended on ebay.

clicky
-Chris
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Well it's identified, but I must respect the tongue biting :)
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

i'll give the krumholz a flip but id also assume it's a sheraton as you've suspected
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Re: Early Gillette One-Piece Razors--a work in progress

Post by nodaktim »

Cigar Dan wrote:My goal is to get all of the different types of Gillette One-Piece razors that were made from their initial release in 1934 through the early 1950's. I had posted a picture a while back that showed what I had at that time. Well, I have been steadily buying razors to fill in the gaps. This is an update of my progress.

I have divided the razors into two groups so they will show up better. For no particular reason other than it suited me, I divided them into those razors with bulldog handles and those without.

Let's start with the bulldogs.
Starting from the left:
Gold Aristocrat No. 66 (I don't know the official name for this razor, but I'll call it that until I hear otherwise). Made in England. No date code. Notched center bar.
Executive -- Made in USA. No date code. Notched center bar.
Aristocrat No. 66 -- Made in England. No date code. Notched center bar.
Aristocrat No. 15 -- Open comb. Made in England. Made in mid to late 30's. Note that the doors conceal the center bar.
Nickel-plated razor (name unknown) -- Made in England, probably in the late 30's. Has a bar guard. Note that the doors conceal the center bar.
Aristocrat -- Open comb. Made in USA in the mid to late 30's. Note that the doors conceal the center bar.

Here's a view of the same razors rotating the camera around 180 degrees.

Here are the razors without bulldog handles
Starting from the left:
Milord -- Made in USA, No date code, Notched center bar.
Ranger Tech -- Made in USA in 1941, Unnotched center bar (obviously)
Rocket -- Made in either Canada or England, Notched center bar. No date code, but there are two parallel lines on the bottom of the head--possibly "11"?
No. 58 -- Made in England, Notched center bar. No date code, but also has the "11" underneath.
Super Speed -- Made in USA, Notched center bar. Date code V3 (1950) <-- That is not a mistake.
President -- Made in USA, Notched center bar. Date code Y1 (1953).
Aristocrat -- Made in USA, Unnotched center bar. Probably made in 1947.

Here are the same razors with the camera rotated 180 degrees.

Well, that's it. I still have some gaps to fill, but there are fewer than before. :)
WOW!!! :shock: :D :shock: I am absolutely floored. That collection is amazing! You should have this thread turned into a 'sticky' for educational purposes as well as bragging rights...
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Hi,
How do you know the model names if there is no number on them?
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

Cigar Dan wrote:
letterk wrote:Where are you finding all these nice looking razors? Are they all ebay finds?
Yep. I started buying them in early March of this year, and have gotten a little more serious in the last couple of months. Fortunately, most of these razors aren't really high demand ones. Of those you see, the most I paid was $60 for the Super Speed (my worst bargain, but my first mint razor). The average price that I pay is around $30, but I have gotten a number of them for less than $20 (the Executive was only $8--my best bargain, especially for a mint/unused razor).

4 year old post and seems like a sound investment as many of those pieces would easily command over $100 now.

great collection by the way....
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

What a remarkable collection; the fact that I didn't pick up a few of these in 06' "makes me drool the drool of regret, into the pillow of remorse" :cry:

BTW - For those of you wondering how to identify these early, non-date code, razors, here is a link that should help. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi ... 20comb.htm

I'm not sure the razor that was being discussed is a Sheraton, the Sheraton's were gold plated.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Andrew, Thanks for bringing this thread & those photos back to life. I'm on day 3 of a NOS #58 a friend in London sent me. It shaves as well as my HD Rockets (one of which is being replated in Rhodium) and I think I am done with my quest. Oh, forgot about that Feather SS. Well a Gillette man for now,

Max
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Buggers! Makes me want a 58 all over again.
Ron
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

I just picked up a new Sheraton on Tuesday, I'm in the process of cleaning it up and then it will go into my rotation. I was very pleased to pick it up for around $30! I'll post pictures once I get it cleaned up.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Trainer7

WOW!

Post by Trainer7 »

Fantastic collection!

Your photos can be used as a reference for razor identification which I know will be helpful, especially for seeing how incorrectly razors are being described on eBay :)

Joe.
--------------------
Joe.
nicodemus38

Re: Early Gillette One-Piece Razors--a work in progress

Post by nicodemus38 »

I know this is an ancient thread, but I think it needs to be helped out and expanded upon. The world is full of mismatched names on ebay and the like.

For example, ive seen regular superspeeds sold as parats and even HD rockets on the ebay.

and easy replating services have made things rather more tricky as honest folk have an even harder time identifying a genuine Gillette rhodium plated razor from a different model replated.