why is the super-speed super?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mission of burma shave

why is the super-speed super?

Post by mission of burma shave »

seriously.

regards
Last edited by mission of burma shave on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
regards,

mj
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I find the shave to be close and smooth without irritation. It also gives me a very consistent shave. Far better than I was able to attain with my Vision.....just my 2 cents.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Timely topic, as I just had my first shave with one this morning. :)

The estimable Rich53 (above) sent me a Gillette adjustable as my introduction to DE shaving, and I am very happy with it. However, I have heard people extol the virtues of the SS so often that I simply had to try one to see what the fuss was about. I picked up a later model version (1965) from Charlie (Gatorade here on the forum) and gave it a go this morning.

The fixed blade exposure on the SS was a lot more aggressive than the adjustable that I normally crank down to 2 or 3, which made for some tense moments early on but as soon as I put steel to skin those butterflies went away. I'm the furthest thing from a razor expert, having used a grand total of two different razors, but there were two areas where I felt the SS provided a superior shave:

* The aggressive exposure compared to where I keep my adjustable seemed to provide me more control, as I was able to make very subtle adjustments on-the-fly to the angle at which I held the razor to my face and thus vary the closeness of my shave depending on which part of my face/neck I was going over.

* The relative shortness of the razor put my fingers closer to the business end and again seemed to add to my control, much like choking up on a baseball bat would.

In addition, the shape of the razor head seemed to fit in a little more naturally to my face, but that could have been exuberance-induced imagination.

I am tempted to open my adjustable up and choke up on it a bit to see if I can produce a similar result but bottom line is I really do love the Super Speed after just one shave. Smoother faces than mine can probably provide better insight as to "why", but I am a believer.
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

It is neither too big nor too small, not too heavy yet not too light, not overly aggressive but not too mild, it is simple to operate and has a clean unclutered look. It is a rock-solid razor that will work well with a almost any blade for a large number of gentlemen. And that's no joke.
Brett
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

As much as I consistently use my Tech over the Superspeed, I'm not sure I could've asked for a more solid razor to learn on, if nothing else. They are quite well made, look nice, and the weight feels solid but not too heavy in the hand. Personally, I have found I like the more compact design of the thin, ball handled techs and the thin profile of the razor's head allows me a bit more control. However, I would certainly recommend a Superspeed to anyone, for the above reasons.
lux

Is this a Super Speed?

Post by lux »

Hello Gillette experts,

Is this a Super Speed?

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=020

If not, what is it and how good is it?

Kind regards,

lux
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

yes; it's a Superspeed and looks to be in great shape.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have only tried a 40s Superspeed and a 60s Gillette adjustable, so I'm no expert. In my experience, however, the Superspeed wins hands down. I really like the balance and heft much more. I get better shaves with the Superspeed, no matter how I adjust the adjustable.

--Bob--
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I can't explain it, but I always get a better shave from a non-adjustable razor, than an adjustable one. I get a better shave from my Wilkinson, Rocket, and Red Tip SS than I do from my 195, Fat Boy, and Long Handle Adj. for instance.
Richard
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

rustyblade wrote:I can't explain it, but I always get a better shave from a non-adjustable razor, than an adjustable one. I get a better shave from my Wilkinson, Rocket, and Red Tip SS than I do from my 195, Fat Boy, and Long Handle Adj. for instance.

Absolutly. Those adjustable ones aren't worth taking to a scrap heap when compared to a Super Speed. Tell you what Rusty. I'll send over a 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's SS and take the 195, Fat Boy and Long Handle Adj. in return. Keep the extra razor to make up for thepostage. I will make sure those razors don't bother you any more..... :shock:
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

A little history, well rumour anyway - His name escapes me right now but sometime in 1947 the head of razor research at Gillette was on vacation in New Mexico, and driving through the desert at night.

He witnessed an object crash from the night sky into the desert dunes and this fellow was the first to reach the crash scene. There he saw what he thought was a Russian pilot almost certainly dead. Not one to turn down an opportunity he looked around for anything of value to remove from the scene. He found what he thought was the Russian pilots wash-bag.

He then drove into the close-by town of Roswell, and being a good american he telephoned government agencies in Washington and reported the incident. A few months later the section he was in charge of was responsible for Gillettes new razor the Superspeed.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I would recommend this razor to anyone seeking an "out-of-this-world" experience.

Regards
John :wink:
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

yasuo200365 wrote:A little history, well rumour anyway - His name escapes me right now but sometime in 1947 the head of razor research at Gillette was on vacation in New Mexico, and driving through the desert at night.

He witnessed an object crash from the night sky into the desert dunes and this fellow was the first to reach the crash scene. There he saw what he thought was a Russian pilot almost certainly dead. Not one to turn down an opportunity he looked around for anything of value to remove from the scene. He found what he thought was the Russian pilots wash-bag.

He then drove into the close-by town of Roswell, and being a good american he telephoned government agencies in Washington and reported the incident. A few months later the section he was in charge of was responsible for Gillettes new razor the Superspeed.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I would recommend this razor to anyone seeking an "out-of-this-world" experience.

Regards
John :wink:
That's right! I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Is a fat boy a Super speed?

Sam
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gatorade wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I can't explain it, but I always get a better shave from a non-adjustable razor, than an adjustable one. I get a better shave from my Wilkinson, Rocket, and Red Tip SS than I do from my 195, Fat Boy, and Long Handle Adj. for instance.

Absolutly. Those adjustable ones aren't worth taking to a scrap heap when compared to a Super Speed. Tell you what Rusty. I'll send over a 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's SS and take the 195, Fat Boy and Long Handle Adj. in return. Keep the extra razor to make up for thepostage. I will make sure those razors don't bother you any more..... :shock:
I would seriously consider a trade of my 195 for a couple of new-ish Wilkinsons.

Seriously.
Richard
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

how do you distinguish a superspeed from others?
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

rustyblade wrote:
Gatorade wrote:

I would seriously consider a trade of my 195 for a couple of new-ish Wilkinsons.

Seriously.
Black handle with the nickel head?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gatorade wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
Gatorade wrote:

Seriously.

There is only one person in the world that has a couple of these. He also has a 195. :D
Richard
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

rustyblade wrote:
Gatorade wrote:
rustyblade wrote: I would seriously consider a trade of my 195 for a couple of new-ish Wilkinsons.

Seriously.

There is only one person in the world that has a couple of these. He also has a 195. :D
Just wanted to make sure I had the right one. I may have to shave with it a couple more times to make sure I would trade.
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Scarface911,

This is a 1940's Superspeed ....,

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2979

In 1948 they notched the the centrebar - which of course made no difference to shave but made loading the razor even easier.

Regards
John

PS I doubt I am the only person in the world to own a couple of Wilkinson Swords Sticky's (I own three BTW - lets get it right) and only one 195.

I'd trade my 195 for a couple of 1940's Superspeeds ............, not.
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Thanks, for the explanation, yasuo200365.

Whats an average price to pay for a SS?

ALso can someone show me a picture of this sacred 195 everyone talks about? Sorry I'm a total noob. Check out my start date under my avatar for proof.