SS TV commercial

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
paero123

SS TV commercial

Post by paero123 »

http://www.archive.org/details/ClassicT1948

I think it's here in a lot of these old commercials
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Very interesting, thanks.

It's located just under halfway through, right after a commercial for a Remington Electric Razor!
Richard
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

It shows the the light, normal & heavy exposure Superspeeds...., an intersting link Pawel, thanks.

Regards
John
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

So, what year is that commercial from? Not 48, that's for sure!! Does anyone know what year that Dodge was?
Gerald Martin
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

This is probably connected with the Super Speed "TV" model razor.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

inkling wrote:Three players are shown and affiliated with the Dodgers. I thought I'd triangulate a little Wikipedia data...

Peewee Reese played from '40-'58, Don Zimmer from '54 to '58, and
Roy Campanella from 48-57 and retired after being paralyzed in Jan. '58. The background looks like S. California, but the Dodgers didn't play there until spring of '58 (after Campanella's accident).

Based on all this, I would guess that this was filmed in about '57 -- while all players were with the team, and possibly when the players were in transition from Brooklyn to LA.

It was a blast watching all of those ads. I'm in marketing and their direct, guileless approach seems so much more effective than the dreck we see on TVs today. I think some of these older companies would see major profits if they just ran some of the more generic ads (like Band-Aid) unedited. They sure would stand out.
They had a B on the cap so that would be the Brooklyn. I would think that puts it before the move to LA in 1958.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Pauldog wrote:This is probably connected with the Super Speed "TV" model razor.
No it was for the colored tip razors.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Now that I read the thread more carefully, I realize that I spoke too soon before. The "TV" Super Speed must be connected with a different TV ad campaign.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Pauldog wrote:Now that I read the thread more carefully, I realize that I spoke too soon before. The "TV" Super Speed must be connected with a different TV ad campaign.
Kinda funny they named the TV razor because of the TV add campaign but it wasn't the first TV ad campaign.
paero123

Post by paero123 »

inkling wrote: I would guess that this was filmed in about '57 -- while all players were with the team, and possibly when the players were in transition from Brooklyn to LA.
But if coloured tip SSs were introduced in 1954 why they should be advertised 3-4 years later (and a year before Fat Boy)? And this California background - maybe they filmed the players just in LA location because of there are studios, directors, operators etc.?
Meatco1

Post by Meatco1 »

That is a 55 Dodge.

I guess they took several years worth of ad's buched together, and ran them all as coming from the same time frame.

Richard