Best razor for a beginner

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Best razor for a beginner

40's Super Speed
18%
Gillette HD Adjustable
7%
Gillette Slim Adjustable
6%
Merkur HD
38%
Merkur Futur
2%
50's Gillette colored tips (all colors)
2%
Merkur Vision
2%
Merkur Progress
7%
Gillette TV
1%
Other
16%

Total votes: 201

android

Post by android »

In order:

1. gillette slim adjustable: great razor, nice feel, and very smooth shaving.

2. Gillette Tech: for all of the reasons above, simple, and easy to use.

3. HD if you don't want to mess with Ebay or used razors. Okay razor, but I'm less excited by it than most. It's so whitebread, that it's boring.

4. Superspeed.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I thought Tech was left out so I voted for Other. Tried a few and only really liked that one. Not enough to make me leave my straights but good for the occasional changeup.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

FiReSTaRT wrote:I thought Tech was left out so I voted for Other. Tried a few and only really liked that one. Not enough to make me leave my straights but good for the occasional changeup.
If you want a shave that good, try a slant with a Feather blade.
Joe
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Joe Lerch wrote:
FiReSTaRT wrote:I thought Tech was left out so I voted for Other. Tried a few and only really liked that one. Not enough to make me leave my straights but good for the occasional changeup.
But it hasn´t worked on you, Joe :D
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

FiReSTaRT wrote:
Joe Lerch wrote:
But it hasn´t worked on you, Joe :D
That's what I travel with. I can carry the razor and put the blades in luggage, and there's no risk of anything of value disapppearing. And believe me, that shave is no compromise.
Joe
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

My vote is for the Merkur HD. This is my first, and only, DE razor. It gives me a BBS and I have never found a reason to get another. It came highly recommended and can be bought brand new. I am normally a straight razor shaver and didnt want to buy some used DE e-bay razor. My concern was that a used razor may not be 100% and as a result I would get a bad shave.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first". - Ronald Reagan
Rob

Post by Rob »

Iceman, don't restrict yourself to only the HD. A Gillette Tech is a fine, fine razor. Try one! They're super cheap.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My recommendation, based on ready availability and a gentle shave, is a Weishi. This razor is a real sleeper and it is seldom mentioned here.

I started with a Merkur Classic Long Handle, and I found it very harsh. When I switched to the Weishi, it was gentler, smoother, and I could wield it more effectively, resulting in an improved shave. It appears to be patterned after the Gillette Super Speeds of the 1950s.

I took a good look at my Merkur the other night and saw the the shaving head was badly out of alignment. I checked another Merkur Classic that I had received as a gift. It was also misaligned. I have read reference to such quality control issues with Merkurs before, from the Classic to the Vision. These razors, in my mind are the exception to the vaunted image of German precision, and there are clearly quality control issues within the brand. Some guys get good ones; others don't. I, personally, could not recommend a Merkur.

My recommendation would be to get a Weishi, go about the business of shaving, and start poking around thrift stores and antique shops for old Gillettes.

- Murray
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Bumping this because there seems to be a few people asking about these out there.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Since it's for a beginner, I'd recommend razors that represent especially good value. That way, you get a chance to try out traditional shaving inexpensively and see if you want to continue. I'd include the mid-1950's Super Speed (including the TV model, which should have the same head), the Gem "G" model and some other single edge razors (all are very affordable), and the Schick Krona DE.

If you can get one at a moderate price, the injector razor is of course well worth trying out.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

SuperSpeed

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Injector
Ed
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Looking at this, I think the later SuperSpeeds are being unfairly underrated. At least one, anyway. I just picked up a 58 TV Special, and am very impressed with it. Asthetically, I prefer the 40s slightly, but for a beginner's razor, I do not think the 40s razor has anything significant on this later SuperSpeed. And if anything, the flared handle is easier to hold onto, and encourages holding down near the end.

I have not tried any other 50s Super Speeds, but I would assume that the late 50s regular models (silver tip) would not be any different than the TV. Surely the only real difference is the grooves on the handle? If so, then a lot of people could be saving money by picking up this still inexpensive razor, instead of competing constantly and bidding up the 40s ones.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mo, Well, yeah, I've been making that argument for a long time. The regular '50s Superspeeds ( including the TV Special ) may be a tad more aggressive then the earlier model, but only slightly. Not enough to be a significent issue to most newbies. Some of the '50s SSs are one of the few real bargains left.....those and the black long handled adjustables from the late '60s and '70s.
Regards,
Gordon
custom410

Post by custom410 »

Pauldog wrote:Schick Krona DE.
+1 for the Krona!

You can get these very cheap, sometimes still in original unopened packaging, and they are very good shavers IMHO. I use mine regularly.
Cheers,
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rob, Agreed. That also would be an excellent choice for the beginner, especially considering the minimal outlay of cash involved. And they are decent shavers and fairly mild.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gillette Tech:

The Gillette Super Speed is an old standard and certainly deserves its position of preeminence. The humble 3-piece Gillette Tech should not be overlooked, however.

The Tech typically sells for a lower price than the Super Speed, is a gentle but effective shaver, is easier to keep clean, and with its flatter head is easier to maneuver in tight places such as under the nose.

- Murray
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I just voted for the Gillette Slim Adjustable. Some don't recommend them for beginners, because a new shaver would have to monkey around with the settings. But that's why I'd suggest it. Most beginners want to try different things, thinking it will help us become better shavers more quickly. So either the n00b goes on an uninformed buying spree, or he just twists an adjusting ring. At least with an adjustable, he's sticking with one razor -- for awhile, anyway...

--Glenn
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

I voted for the Merkur Vision because it was my first DE and I still have it and it is adjustable so it allows the beginner to gradually adjust to using a DE razor and the expert can open the jaws wide open for a great shave
Have a wonderful shaving day
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Super Speed. My first razor was the Merkur 1904. Way too aggressive to start with. Then I got a 1954 Gillette Super Speed. Perfect.

But now after a year of wetshaving, the Merkur 1904 and Merkur 38C are my go to razors--with Feather blades, of course. Which still amazes me. If I'd started out with Merkur + Feather, it would have been seppuku (only gaijin refer to it as "hari-kari") 8)
Paul

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." - Woody Allen

The Faxer