Pastuer stock

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yeah, for D R Harris's shave creams and soaps, Pasteurs is definately the more sensible choice. Ditto for Trumper creams ( or Clyde's, which, surprisingly is as low as Pasteurs ). Unfortunately, Pasteurs has never seemed to have much in the way of the D R Harris's colognes, and I can't think of any other shop that has many either. Lascoff's had a little, but not much. Cambridges is the only place in the City that carries them all, as far as I know. J. Press, the clothier on E. 44th St. had some Harris's colognes at good prices, but I don't know if they have any left ( there house brand shave cream was Castle Forbes, BTW ). Growler, 'John Bull' is just a Cambridge trade mark name, they've used it for ages. The brushes are the identical Simpsons one would find at Enchante, or wherever. Actually, Cambridges was of some help to Charles Roberts when he was trying to start up his shop, a number of years ago. Regards, Gordon
robofunk

Post by robofunk »

where in manhattan can i find cambridges?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Robo, Cambridge Chemists is at 21 East 65th Street. Still family owned, been in business in that immediate area since 1941. Finest/largest selection of real quality gentlemen's grooming goods in one shop, anywhere in the US, as far as I know. Regards, Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Back from New York. Pasteur's did have the fresh Aftershave Milk. No Cambridge Chemists by any means but a very, very well stocked little shop. Leaving I happened to notice the original AOS shop across the street. Pasteur's seems to be taking them on by directly selling the traditional Engish brands we all know. Good on them! Max
growler

Post by growler »

Update on Pasteur on 34th St.:

They are fresh out of Bic Metals.

They have a small number of tiny sample tubs of a few Trumper's soaps -- violet, almond, sandalwood and coconut oil. I got one each except for the violet, which I already know I love.

They had three or four pricey brushes from Taylor's, and only one was real badger.

Brand-new, however, was the Simpson's brushes they are carrying. They had several from the Beaufort line, all pure badger. And the Berkeley in both pure and best badger. I was interested, but they all seemed quite small. And neither the boxes there nor any site I can find on the Web tells me how big the knots are. Anyone know offhand? Also, would such a tiny brush be that much of an improvement, even if it is a Simpson's?[/img]
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Growler, No, I'm afraid not. The knot sizes seem to be Simpson's little secret. Kent seems equally reticent on this subject. Both Peter ( Holland ) and Em have measured some of the larger higher end Simpsons, and posted their findings, but for the small models that you mentioned, no info. Eventually, if one looks at, and handles, enough brushes, one begins to be able to kind of tell by look and feel, about what the knot size is, but this takes some experiance. I don't know, I've never been all that impressed with those model Simpsons. The knots seemed very small, and the bristle quality didn't seem, to me, to be any higher then larger model Vulfixs that cost the same. But that's just my take. Regards, Gordon