Pastuer stock

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
growler

Pastuer stock

Post by growler »

For anyone in/near/planning to come to NYC, thought I'd give a rundown on what Paseur's stocks:

D.R. Harris: An amazing amount of stuff. Three shelves, I believe

Trumper's: tubs, tubes, colognes, skin food and more

Taylor: ditto

T&H: ditto redux

Jack Black: newish line, some good stuff

Anthony: among the best stuff out there for skin care, I believe. Good toners, moisturizers and eye cream

Baxter: As good as if not better than Anthony

Brave Soldier: only a few things. Didn't notice any Code Blue, however.

Bic Metal: A very small number of 2-packs, minus the ones I bought (travelling this month; not sure if I'll be checking luggage, so got them for the trip).

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. For such a small store, they have an amazing amount of stuff. Though it's all located right in the skinniest section of the aisle that every person who comes in walks down to get their prescriptions. So you constantly have people walking right in front of you while trying to browse.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Agreed, Pasteur has an impressive selection of shaving products (at least the one on Lex near 62nd...haven't been to the other), all at very competitive prices. When I was in there a week or two ago, they did have Code Blue--I noticed since I had just purchased a bottle at Barney's (just a couple of blocks away) and was annoyed at myself as Pasteur was a buck or two cheaper. They have sample tubs of many of the high-end shaving creams, so you can "sniff before you buy," a very nice feature.

I have noticed that they also sell some Simpson brushes (I didn't spend much time looking, but all I saw were "pure badger") and Merkur blades (don't know about the razors themselves), all behind the counter up front.

All in all, quite a dangerous place to have in the neighborhood, at least as far as my wallet is concerned!
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Do they have a west side location? Do you know if they are as well stocked? How do the prices compare to Cambridge Chemists?

Thanks.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, No Pasteur shops on the West Side, as far as I know. 34th between Madison and Park, and Lexington Ave, near 62nd St. Generally, their prices are considerably lower then Cambridge's on the traditional shaving lines. For example, Aftershave Milk at Pasteurs is about $15 cheaper. Their price for pots of Trumpers is equal to the very lowest one can find on the internet. However, NO ONE has quite the selection that Cambridges has, especially regarding colognes. Cambridges also carries and extensive selection of Simpson brushes, but their prices are high. In addition to those lines listed above, Pasteurs also has good prices on some of the real English Yardley soaps and talc, and on a fairly comprehensive selection of Bronnley soaps, as well as other interesting odds and ends. Regards, Gordon
growler

Post by growler »

I paid 11.99 for tubes of Taylor's and Trumpers at Pasteur.

Same ones are 22+ bucks at Cambridge.

I haven't noticed Merkur blades at either Pasteur. Sure you saw them there?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm pretty sure I've seen Merkur blades (the 10-packs) on the wall behind the counter. Possibly also in the window display. I could be wrong, though. I walk past the place pretty much every day, so I'll check and let you know.
growler

Post by growler »

That'd be great! Thanks!

I haven't seen them in the 34 St. one, which is why I asked.

But, please, don't buy something while you're there just 'cause I sent you!
BillNJ

Post by BillNJ »

I was in the Lexington Avenue store a couple of weeks ago and saw Merkur blades--I did not ask how much they were. I was in the 34th Street store yesterday, but didn't see the blades there. They had a good selection of D.R. Harris along with a good assortment of Trumper, Taylor, Truefitt, and Coates creams and soaps. They also have some Trumper hair oils, creams, and conditioner. They have some colognes, but Cambridge definitely has the better assortment of colognes as well as other products in these lines. However, Pasteur does tend to have much better prices than either Cambridge or Bigelow for the items they stock.

Bill
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks--glad to hear I wasn't seeing things! Now I won't have to stop in tonight, and my wallet will remain safe for another day. :D
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Some might remember my glowing reviews of the QED soaps. A kind member sent one of the QED sticks to try recently. I will still use the soap but these sticks are a hell of a lot of fun, great for travel & they work. Saying that though $12 for a tube of Trumpers/DR Harris in Manhattan!? The bloody MidTown Tunnel costs almost half that now! Looking forward to stopping by the uptown shop next week. As a Harris Aftershave Milk fan anyone know if they stock the fresher bottles with the Prince of Wales warrant? I am working toward the bottom of the Queen Mum's version. Thanks

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Glad to hear that you're liking the Aftershave Milk. I wasn't aware that you were using it. I've bought two bottles at Pasteurs, last July, and last Nov. Both carried the Warrant from the Prince of Wales. However, when I went to replenish my supply this March, they didn't have any! In either store! I couldn't believe it. I kept rooting around on the shelves, but no go. I was forced to go to Cambridge Chemists, where they charge $15 more. I managed to talk Scott down $5, but that was the best I could do. Hopefully, Pasteurs has, by now, restocked the Harris's Milk. Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

I am shocked by all of the unbelievable price comparisons at Cambridge. I am going to avoid this place like the plague in the future, good selection or not. These sound like very large, unreasonable differences in price.
BillNJ

Post by BillNJ »

Pasteur had the Aftershave Milk the last time I was in the store.

Bill
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I wouldn't avoid Cambridges, and, personally, I don't. It's a wonderful shop. Their selection is unmatched, and personal and knowledgeable help is available, which it is not at, say, Pasteurs. Both my wife and I have been given samples of some VERY expensive products, more then once. On one occasion, Scott simply gave me a full 100ml bottle of a Yardley cologne that I was interested in. In any case, their prices are not always higher. It depends. They charge no more for Coate's creams then Pasteurs do, and their price on Trumper colognes isn't much more then Bigelows. They charge pretty much the same for Simpson brushes as Enchante or Em's do. It's really only the D R Harris's products that I try to avoid buying at Cambridges. For some reason, Harris's has always been very pricey there. I NEVER visit NYC without stopping in at Cambridges. Regards, Gordon
growler

Post by growler »

I noticed the Simpson brushes at Cambridge were all labelled "John Bull." Are they the same thing?
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was getting the impression everything was ridiculously overpriced compared to other traders. I'll just avoid DR Harris even though this is one brand I've really been itching to try.

Chris
Alex

Post by Alex »

FYI, I walked by Pasteur tonight and stopped to look in the window. In addition to a wide variety of high-end creams/soaps (Trumper, Taylor, L'Occitane, etc.) they had a couple of Merkur razors on display. One was a travel razor and the other looked like a long-handle Classic. I fought the temptation to go inside, though.
robofunk

Post by robofunk »

i was in pasteurs on lex. on sunday, and bought my first tubs of shave cream, taylor lemon and lime, and zirh to try. i also bought an alum block which stings my face but works well. all in all pasteurs had a pretty nice stock for such a tiny shop.

i noticed some straights under the counter, and the girl working there pulled them out to show me. pretty intimidating. i just placed an order for a merkur hd and some feather plats. (my face thinks sharper = better). maybe some day i'll grow the nads for a straight....
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

robo: check yourself again. you already have the nads if you are getting a merkur hd

sam
robofunk

Post by robofunk »

tngentleman1 wrote:you already have the nads if you are getting a merkur hd

sam
there's something about a straight that makes me sweat... the hd on the other hand looks like it has a nice grip on it and the guard to prevent the blade from poking through to the other cheek.