Shops to visit in London

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
bholloway

Shops to visit in London

Post by bholloway »

My girl and I are planning a trip to London in September. Just want to get some opinions on shaving shops to visit. Any personal experiences and recommended places to get a shave would be appreciated.

Brent
The Gent
from moderngent.com

Post by The Gent »

Well surely you will have to visit Trumpers in either Curzon Street or Jermyn Street although whether you should go there first or last is for you to decide! There are still a lot of old style barbers around London. Sometimes a shave is not to the standard you might expect though ... sadly.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brent, I'm envious. In addition to Trumper, mentioned above, you might pop into; Taylors of Old Bond Street ( actually at 74 Jermyn St. ), D R Harris & Co. at 29 St. James's Street, and up the block is Truefitt & Hill. Right in the same neighborhood, the dept. store, Fortnum & Mason should have an extensive gentlemen's toiletries section, I would imagine. There is said to be a fine traditional barbershop in the main Austin Reed clothiers store on Regent Street. There are others, but these should keep you busy for a bit. Have fun. Regards, Gordon
navajadeafeitar

Post by navajadeafeitar »

I was there in March. If you want a shave remember that it's a good idea to book in advance. I only had an afternoon to spend on shaving related stuff and couldn't get a shave because I hadn't made a reservation :cry: I think the going rate was 30 pounds or so.

Gordon, I think you (or maybe it was someone else) recommended Maitlands in Piccadilly, where they carry Kent brushes...

best,

Nirmal
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
firstfloorfront

Post by firstfloorfront »

Brent,

I agree with Gordon, except don't expect a lot from Austin Reed's last time I was up there it was closed on a Saturday.

Start at the Regent Street / Picadilly Circus end of Jermyn Street and walk the length of the street [not far, about 1/4 mile]. On your right, Trumper's; on the left Floris; on the right, the back of Fortnam & Masons [you'll need to go up the side street to enter. Gent's Toiletries are on the second floor]. Back onto Jermy Street. On the left, Taylor's. Opposite Taylors is an archade. Walk up to the top of that and you will find a very very small chemists [Maitland's I think]; in there you will find some real bargains. Back onto Jermyn Street, walk to the end and turn left into St James. DR Harris is on the left and at the botton of St James on the right is Trufitt & Hill.

Take plenty of cash or a nice flexible friend and enjoy yourself. As a treat for the Girfriend, take her for teas and cakes in the Palm Court Restraunt in Fortnam & Masons [that'll get rid of another £30 for you :lol: :lol:

Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nirmal & Peter, Yes, indeed, Maitland's Chemists at the end of Piccadilly Arcade ( right by Budd, I think ? ). In business since the 1860s I've heard. Must be an interesting shop. Peter, What do they stock, in addition to Kent brushes? Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

PS, What about John Bell & Croydon? Are they worth visiting, do you suppose? Regarding Austin Reed; a pity, I suppose the legendary Victor Cook has retired. Refused to use a disposible blade straight, always a real stropped cutthroat razor. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Did you check the toiletries section? Still a lot of really neat stuff around in '76, especially in London. Gordon
firstfloorfront

Post by firstfloorfront »

Bernard,

You really need to see Maitland's to believe it.

The shop front is arc shape with the door in the centre. Shop windows on both side of the door are very well stocked. On the Picadilly side, shaving bits and pieces including probably all the shaving sets Edwin Jagger makes and every Kent brush [bought my BK8 from here, and for a good bit cheaper than anywhere else I saw]. On the archade side, chemist type stuff.

Step into the shop and the display cases and draws [walnut and glass with brass fittings] go wirtually to the ceiling; they to are very well stocked., they are also hinged so thay can be opened to get at the shop window displays.

Now here's the rub; the size of the shop. Door to counter, 1 pace. Counter length 1 1/2 paces. Max length of shop, 2 paces. Very cosy but absolutley brilliant. Can't really list what they stock, probably be easier to list what they don't stock. Can't recally seeing T&H now I think about it.

Peter :D
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Thanks for the excellent description. It sounds rather like I'd pictured it in my mind. I knew the place existed, knew where it was located, how old it was, and that they stocked Kent brushes, but that was it. I never was able to get any further information. It's now been added to my 'absolutely must stop by' list, for the eventual visit to London. Thanks again. Regards, Gordon
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

When I was last in London in November, 2004, I got a haircut and shave at Truefitt & Hill in St. James. Neither were memorable. Though capable, the young Greek woman who did the job was not at all exceptional. And, as I remember, it was quite expensive. All the products are there for sale, though. Maybe try Trumper's instead. Best, John. PS: Call ahead and reserve.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter (or anyone), I've read some interesting things about the barber shop at the Dorchester Hotel. Do you know anything about that establishment? Thanks, Gordon