Floris Summer Sale

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Has anyone tried the Santal after-shave or balm? Any good?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

blueasajewel wrote:Has anyone tried the Santal after-shave or balm? Any good?
Greetings BAAJ!
Soon as those that I ordered are in hand, I shall report!
You make get some (un)biased reports sooner though as there are several Santal fans in the forum. :)
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Blue As A Jewel

Hope it's soon....I'm itchin' to order!
- Ravi -

guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

blueasajewel wrote:
Hope it's soon....I'm itchin' to order!
Floris of London takes a bit of time about delivery. You may not wish to miss their summer sale. On sale the Santal Cologne is $30, the A/S Baum $24.. I have been told by reliable source (the Colognes Forum Mod, Coche_y_bondhu) that these prices are one half of their normal prices. 8)
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Blue As A Jewel

You may not wish to miss their summer sale.
Damn the torpedoes! You have convinced me sir!.... (although admittedly that in itself is no great feat)
- Ravi -

jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

The way I see it, at those prices, you can always buy them and if you don't like them I am sure someone will glady trade you for them. And Richard is right that this is half of the normal price.
Justin
Texas
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Despite the Floris web site's dire predictions of taking 4-6 weeks to ship, I received my bottle of JF the day after I ordered it (shipping within NY, of course). Very pleased with the service.

-Scotto
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

gordon , i got my mailer today and it seems the rose geranium soaps are half price. since u like them, i might take a flyer. please decribe the scent and lathering of it. and someone give me a reference on what santal smells like?

sam
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, I know, I know, I got the bloody flier too ( but I was alerted even before I did, here on SMF ). I'm a hopeless sucker for the Rose Geranium soap, whenever they have these sales. The regular price of the stuff at least gives me pause, but when it's 1/2 price....well....you know how it is, right? Last time I ordered, the gal said "...only one box, sir?..", and, of course, I immediately replied, "...you're right!...make it two...." ( sigh ). Then I used the Neiman Marcus gift certicate my son gave me, to buy another box ( Lavender, they didn't have the other ), and now I'm contemplating ordering still more. Mustn't run out! No indeed! Can't have that! It's outrageous, really......The scent of Rose Geranium? I'm not sure that I can describe it. It's, well, rose, tempered and made less sweet by the geranium ( a note that's used in many classic English gentlemen's scents ). It's just a very old fashioned and luxurious scent. Charles at QED, and I have rhapsodized about the rose geranium scent more then once over the phone. He's another big fan. The Floris soaps are of superlative quality ( they better be, at the prices they charge! ), and the lather is very thick and rich. Their soaps leave my skin in excellent condition. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

my wife loves the claus porto neroli something soap with shea butter. she loves its creaminess. how does the rose geranium compare? if favorably, well, three boxes then

sam
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Sam,

Floris' description of Santal:

"A fresh statement of modern masculinity. Enviably smooth, Santal is a sculptural balance including citrus and herbal notes, black peppercorns, cardamom and sensual woods. The result: Creative, assertive, effortless style."

It was my one and only "true love at first scent". No second date required :)!

Try a small bottle, 50 ml, for $20, but for $30 you get a 100ml, both 1/2 off the regular price.

If you don't like it, I am sure you won't have any trouble selling or trading it. But you don't see Santal up for barter often here so... :). Go for it, Sam!

Cheers,
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, The Floris soaps are every bit a rich and creamy, if not more so. Each box contains three bars ( they are no longer sold individually ). What they have is old stock. Today, their soaps are only available in one inbetween size. You will note on the web site, however, that they're offered in two sizes. This is good. Go for the bath size, at $20 per box ( which is three cakes ), it is the better buy, and the soaps are better in the bath. Enjoy, they are a real treat. Churchill bathed with them for years they say, and, well, you've seen the quote that one of our members uses, at the end of his posts. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ordered the santal and two boxes of bath soaps

sam
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Excellent, Sam :) !

You can be liberal with Santal; it will not overpower your immediate circle. I use 8 spritzes on my chest (started with 2 :) ).

I found that applying colognes on the pec area on either side of the sternum and on the sternum works best for me. This way I can get whiffs of the fragrance all day. Applying it to the outside areas (nearer shoulders, outer pecs) allowed the fragrance to rise up, up and away (5th Dimension) quickly.

Also, if one has a hairy chest, the fragrance will normally linger longer.

Let us know what you think when Santal arrives. If you don't like it, you know where to post it for your friends :) .

Cheers, y'all
Richard
Lowlands of North Texas
growler

Post by growler »

No way at all will Sam regret it. Santal is sinfully good.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

we shall see. if it too vanilla-like, (what is that cologne in the aqua green bottle that looks like the top half of a man's torso - it lasted but was too vanillalike), it will be gone. small powder, very small is ok

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

and you guys are a bad influence. heck, i just wanted the soap!!!!!!!!!

now, im getting a club brush, a SRP razor and some santal and even before my vintage watch gets here from tokyo (sic), im looking at a lecoultre futurematic.

gotta stop spending, my daughter is going to college and i am determined to pay for it out of earnings. this aint helping one bit guys.

sam
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Sam, the cologne you were reffering to is Le Male by JPG. Yes, it is a Gourmand type fragrance and it is pretty sweet. I like it ok. Women seem to favor it over men.
Joey
Sage

Post by Sage »

Got my Santal yesterday. So far, I like it. Maybe not as much as Trafalgar, but I guess they are totally different. The Santal seems richer to me, where the Trafalgar is more casual. I am no expert in colognes though.

Richard, 8 spritzes!!! Holy crap! I am just using 1, and I smell it all day long. In fact, feels like I am inhaling it all day long...can't imagine 8.

Good stuff though, at a great price, thanks for the heads-up guys.

Andy
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Andy - For Santal I usually do 1.5 sprays on the chest and then one on a wrist and then press them together. It lasts all day, and then in the shower the next morning I sometimes get whiffs of it. Glad you like it.
Justin
Texas