Amsterdam - Success!!

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Barry

Amsterdam - Success!!

Post by Barry »

A friend of mine is going to Amsterdam again and he usually offers to bring me various items (Within reason of course - space cakes are out, I wouldn't eat em anyways). I thought I would check here to see if there are any cool shaving products that I could ask him to pick up.

If Tabac soap is available there I might have him bring one back. I've been googling around but haven't had any luck finding local products.

Thanks,

Barry
Barry

Re: Amsterdam - Success!!

Post by Barry »

My friend found the Tabac soap. Apparently there were a lot of other hard soaps and things to choose from. I wish I were there to see what they have. My guess is I've heard of most of it. In any event, my friend will bring back two tubs of the tabac soap. He's also looking for Proraso items.

Barry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Barry, Yeah, with the exception of London, and a couple of other places, it hard to know what might be there. I knew someone who went to Belgium recently, offered to pick me up a little something, and I didn't know what to ask him to really look for. No idea what's available there, and since he didn't know anythiing about this stuff, I would have had to be specific. He brought me some chocolates ( which I don't eat ). Oh well. Regards, Gordon
reginald-van-gleason

I'll be in Amsterdam

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Funny that this thread came about, since I will be going to Amsterdam in the early fall. Barry, if your friend does find some tabac soap or other hard to get shaving items, if you could pass on the name of the shop/s I'd greatly appreciate it.

I will also be in Paris on this same trip, so if anyone has any recommendations of shaving/fragrance related places/shops to visit in Paris/Amsterdam or the surrounding areas, I'd be much obliged.

Reggie Van
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Reggie, One place in Paris that I'd definately stop by, would be Old England, 12 Boulevard des Capucines. Kind of an small dept. store, owned by the same family since the 1860s. A selection of the finest English colognes, and shave goods, as well as a good assortment of the excellent Plisson shave brushes. There is also a very interesting specialty shave goods shop, but I'm darned if I can remember the name. We had a Parisan member at Wetshavers, named Thierry, and he bought his Plissons and his shave soap there. Sounded like a neat shop, but the name is buried in the old Wetshaver archives somewhere. There's a chance that Chris F. may remember the name and address. Regards, Gordon
reginald-van-gleason

Awesome, Gordon, thanks. "Old England" will definitley be a stop, and the Plisson is a brush I've heard quite good things about. I'll be sure to post a follow up. I remember hearing that "store etiquette" is a bit different in France. Apparently, fondling the merchandise uninvited is a no-no. It will be interesting to note the cultural differences.

RVG
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

If I may be so bold, we should change Gordon's nickname to Mapqwest. Or Google.

Sir, you are a wealth of information. Maybe 411 would be the right nickname. No matter what, I have learned much from you!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
reginald-van-gleason

How about "Encyclopedia Brittanica"?

Gordon certainly does know his stuff, and I'm happy and honored to be a benefactor!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

And who could argue with ANYONE who has "The Great One" as an avatar!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
reginald-van-gleason

If they did argue, it be "POW! Right in the kisser.." :wink:
bernards66 wrote:There is also a very interesting specialty shave goods shop, but I'm darned if I can remember the name.Gordon

Hey Gordon, might it be this place:

http://www.planete-rasoir.com/

Looks like this will have to be a stop on the the great shave tour, also.

RVG
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

"POW! Right in the kisser.."
Spoken like, well, just like Jackie!

Randy
reginald-van-gleason

Indeed.
reginald-van-gleason wrote:How about "Encyclopedia Brittanica"?

Gordon certainly does know his stuff, and I'm happy and honored to be a benefactor!
Duhhh.... what I really meant to say was that
"I'm happy and honored to be a beneficiary!"
Let's face it, I'm no Hemingway. I guess that's what happens after 3 martinis... let's just say I had delusions of guenron!
:oops:

Hey, this is my hundreth post!!! Does this mean I get to call myself a shave geek? :D

RVG
Last edited by reginald-van-gleason on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I think my friend just hit a regular drugstore and found the tabac there. I'll double check. It's possible that it's the tabac shave stick that he found too - rather than the soap. I'm not sure yet though.

Barry
reginald-van-gleason

Thanks Barry!
I hear that Tabac is the equivalent of "Old Spice" overthere, which means it should probably be readily available at most drugstore/pharmacies.

RVG
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Reginald, That may be the place, I just can't recall, for sure. And yes, you can now be considered an official shavegeek. How does it feel? Regards, Gordon
reginald-van-gleason

bernards66 wrote:And yes, you can now be considered an official shavegeek. How does it feel? Regards, Gordon
Gordon, it feels like I have discovered my inner-geek. A good feeling, but I predict an expensive one...

RVG