Shaving Stick

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Shaving Stick

Post by clownjuggles »

Charles I just won a shaving stick on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6503018968

Just wondering what you would suggest for molding a shave soap to it? I was thinking a pvc pipe or a cardboard toilet paper tube.

Anyone have any additional ideas float them over.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

Nice vintage item you won there ... good heads-up! In order to suggest a possible way to mold soap, tell me a bit more about the physical make-up of the case, particularly the bottom. I am assuming the very bottom of the case is open, is that correct? If it is, and there are no other physical conditions that must be considered, I would try to devise a method of pouring soap right into the bottom of the tube. I am no mechanical genius, but an idea that comes to mind is simply to seal the bottom of the case with duct tape. Then melt and pour soap into the case but perhaps a small amount initially, to make certain it doesn't leak through the bottom and to allow it to begin to form a solid base for the remainder of the soap. Now, before the first application of soap hardens, add a bit more, and before that hardens the remainder. Hopefully, once the soap has hardened, you'll be able to push the mass up from the bottom. I am thinking it would be nice to have some glycerin to coat the inside walls of the case before adding the melted soap, but I am not certain this will provide any lubrication for the pushing-up. However, perhaps using a good glycerin soap (let me see, there's a rather nice one under the name QEDman) the inside lubrication may not be necessary. No doubt those with a bit more mechanical ability than me will come up with a better idea.

Regards,

Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

CAUTION !!! Metal case ... hot soap ... burnt fingers!

CDD / QED
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

charles,

I just won it 3 hours ago. If that shipper can get it to me from PA that quick he has a good thing going and I want to be in on it!

This is the same style in tin. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 17953&rd=1

and here is a willams with ORIGINAL SOAP I don't know how gross that could be... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 11002&rd=1

But it is interesting to see these I believe that they are a closed tube design
Peter
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

The two links in your posting show what appears to be two different shaving stick cannisters. That is, each cannister seems to function differently. The one you won appears to have no opening on the bottom, and the lid seems to just screw on and off. Just as a wild thought, is there any chance the soap adhered to the cover? Otherwise, it just floated on the inside?? If this is the way it was used, then it appears you have to literally handle the soap to apply it.

Once you get the actual case it'd be nice to have a more precise description of its physical charactertistics, and your thoughts on how it functions.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

charles i found an old ad for the shaving stick

http://www.blueangel.org.uk/BA/I/5000/BA5514.JPG

Love to hear your thoughts. even as to the content of the ad
Peter
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

Great old ad!

I still cannot figure how to use the soap. In order for it to raise up in a solid-bottom tube, the soap would have to fit loosely inside the case. But if it does fit loosely, how do you apply the soap? In the ad, the soap looks like it fits tightly against the sides of the case, so it still remains a mystery how you use this thing. As for the ad itself, I guess in some sense it makes sense to remove the oils from the face hairs so the beard can be moistened.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

From what I can tell the soap stick refills where wrapped in paper. and then you pushed the soap into the lid. This is what i can gather so far. The lid I gather must fit snug into the tube and you just use the soap like a stick. Myself I wish i still had a couple cakes of the old spice shaving soap. Now that I know how to use a brush.
Peter
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

Seems to me it'll be a difficult job to shape a stick of soap to fit the lid.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D