eBay Feedback Issues

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Mr Mxyztplk

eBay Feedback Issues

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

Looking for some good advice here. I have three transactions as a buyer that went perfectly smooth, and, as such, I left the sellers positive ratings and glowing feedback. The problem is that I have not yet received any return feedback, even though I paid for these auctions very quickly (like within an hour of them ending). After a few days, I sent a polite "reminder" that I would like my feed back, but have yet to get anything from these people. So, today I sent a second reminder, and I am still waiting. Personally, I am pretty annoyed by sellers that wait for my feedback before they will give me any, especially when I pay so quickly. As a buyer, haven't I fufilled my obligation and started the positive transaction process with my quick payment? I am really ready to go into the "when in Rome" mode about this and not leave feedback until I get it first. What's the solution?
Last edited by Mr Mxyztplk on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Hi Rick,

The problem you mention is quite wide spread on Ebay. IMHO, once you've paid, your responsibilities as a buyer are over and feedback should be left. However, many sellers will not as there is a general belief that this would leave them vulnerable (and rightly so - that's the whole point of feedback).

As to recourse, you can politely ask, but I doubt it will do any good at all. This leaves you with the choice of doing what you feel is right or stooping to their level. At least you can take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone and that there is a large number of Ebayers who are frustrated with this.

Not much help, I know.
Blessings,
Michael
John 5

Post by John 5 »

The eBay feedback system is much like a democracy - its flawed, indeed, but at the same time, is considered the best presently available (pardon me Mr Castro, Mugabe, or Putin, if you are reading this). Problems such as yours, and countless other catch-22's and similar annoyances exist. But, at the core of the only fair system lies the very source of your problem: no one is made to go first, and no one party can be forced to leave feedback, good or bad. Its the nature of the beast.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

No one owes you feedback. It's a courtesy that some choose to provide, but its in no way part of the deal.
AsylumGuido

Post by AsylumGuido »

ScottS wrote:No one owes you feedback. It's a courtesy that some choose to provide, but its in no way part of the deal.
That's right. I've bought several items myself and it's kind of hit or miss which sellers will leave feedback. My wife is a regular seller of assorted odds and ends. She always leaves feedback as part of her shipping routine.

Personally, I have found that a sappy request for feedback accompanying a prompt payment usually works, especially if you explain you are trying to establish a good feedback score. They were all there at one point themselves and most will understand.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I have nearly 1,000 feedbacks and I have left about 1,100. What I do now is wait a week or two and if no feedback is forthcoming I contact the seller about the specific item and say,"I noticed that you did not leave positive feedback for me. If there was something unsatisfactory about my paying immediately and leaving positive feedback as soon as I received the item please let me know and I will try and make it right". This usually works and if it doesn't I let it go.
Regards,

jimmy
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

Before I leave positive feedback for any seller or buyer, I look at the number of feedbacks they have received as well as the number of feedbacks they have left for others. If the number of feedbacks they have left for others is significantly lower than the number they have received, I don't bother leaving a positive for them.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Slant-Fan wrote:I have nearly 1,000 feedbacks and I have left about 1,100. What I do now is wait a week or two and if no feedback is forthcoming I contact the seller about the specific item and say,"I noticed that you did not leave positive feedback for me. If there was something unsatisfactory about my paying immediately and leaving positive feedback as soon as I received the item please let me know and I will try and make it right". This usually works and if it doesn't I let it go.
That's pretty passive aggressive. What's wrong with "I paid promptly and left feedback as soon as the item was received, and consider this a satisfactory transaction. I'm trying to build my feedback rating, and would appreciate it if you left feedback. Thank you."?
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

ScottS wrote:
Slant-Fan wrote:I have nearly 1,000 feedbacks and I have left about 1,100. What I do now is wait a week or two and if no feedback is forthcoming I contact the seller about the specific item and say,"I noticed that you did not leave positive feedback for me. If there was something unsatisfactory about my paying immediately and leaving positive feedback as soon as I received the item please let me know and I will try and make it right". This usually works and if it doesn't I let it go.
That's pretty passive aggressive. What's wrong with "I paid promptly and left feedback as soon as the item was received, and consider this a satisfactory transaction. I'm trying to build my feedback rating, and would appreciate it if you left feedback. Thank you."?
I guess I like sarcasm. :twisted:
Regards,

jimmy
AsylumGuido

Post by AsylumGuido »

ScottS wrote:
Yup. That's pretty close to what I have used.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I have about a 370 feedback and have probably had over 700 transactions. As a buyer I leave feedback once it has been left for me but other than that I don't bother with it anymore. As a seller I leave feedback as soon as the item is paid for. Not everyone does that though. Most times if you ask for it and leave it then you will get it. After a while you won't even think about it.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
John 5

Post by John 5 »

ScottS wrote:
I too agree. The extra sprinkle of cynicism does more harm than good. Leaving feedback is not part of the contract. That being said, there are some genuine and acceptable reasons for not being prompt with feedback, such as when one is on vacation or busy with 'real' work - not everybody's life nor business revolves around eBay. Treating someone with contempt for not leaving feedback is therefore ill advised. I once got a similar message on an item upon returning from a business trip, and I just scoffed, deleted it and moved on.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I bought something on ebay once way back in 1999. I've never used it ever again, but I would like to make a comment about feedback if I may.

If a seller has something to sell that I want to buy, I buy it. If all goes according to plan then that's the end of the story. If it doesn't, trust me when I say that the world will know all about it in short order.

I suspect that there are quite a few people running around that like myself are content to be silent as long as everything works out OK.

While I undertand the concept of feedback as it relates to ebay and the people that sell on there often, as a buyer I couldn't care less how important my feedback is to the seller. If the seller offered me some type of reward for giving him/her feedback I would certainly take the time to do so.

My feeling is that if you have something to sell that someone wants to buy they will do so.

You gents should worry more about whether or not you are kissing your SO's enough instead of worrying about what some ^@#&@()@ thinks of your transaction.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Mr Mxyztplk

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

Well, gentlemen, thank you for all of your feedback on this issue. It has helped me to decide my chosen path, which is to say, "To Hell with feedback". Like it was already said, it is not part of the contract, but merely a courtesy. That is the part that truly sends the message home, because I need to keep getting kicked in the head to remember that common courtesy has long ago died out in this world. Just give me what I want, and then go the Hell away. This is perfect -- why waste time and energy trying to be nice to others and help them get established with a higher feedback score? It is so much easier being a self-centered malcontent.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

I am going to go in the opposite direction. I've probably bought on ebay 50 times or so and sold maybe 5. As a buyer I leave feedback once I receive my item and it is to my standards and that of the listing, 90% of the time the feedback is reciprocated, if not oh well, I got what I wanted and thereby they deserve positive feedback, story over imo.
As a "seller" I will never leave feedback until I have received it, it's not me being malicious or self centered it's me/the seller protecting themselves. The buyer's role is not over once they have paid, there are as many fraudulent buyers on the bay as there are sellers, probably more. I know anything I have ever sold on ebay is described and pictured perfectly, what the buyer saw and gets is exactly the same, if I were to leave them positive feedback immediately after receiving payment I then have no "protection" from lies or other ugly possibilities. The role of the seller is over after having delivered the goods timely and as described imo. ymmv :wink:
Mr Mxyztplk

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

With The Grain wrote:I am going to go in the opposite direction. I've probably bought on ebay 50 times or so and sold maybe 5. As a buyer I leave feedback once I receive my item and it is to my standards and that of the listing, 90% of the time the feedback is reciprocated, if not oh well, I got what I wanted and thereby they deserve positive feedback, story over imo.
As a "seller" I will never leave feedback until I have received it, it's not me being malicious or self centered it's me/the seller protecting themselves. The buyer's role is not over once they have paid, there are as many fraudulent buyers on the bay as there are sellers, probably more. I know anything I have ever sold on ebay is described and pictured perfectly, what the buyer saw and gets is exactly the same, if I were to leave them positive feedback immediately after receiving payment I then have no "protection" from lies or other ugly possibilities. The role of the seller is over after having delivered the goods timely and as described imo. ymmv :wink:
This just soldifies my "To Hell with feedback" position, because, as a buyer, I pay for my won auctions ridiculously fast (like 10-15 minutes after they end), and have therefore fulfilled my "buying obligations" to the fullest extent. But, regardless, sellers that want to "protect" themselves won't leave any feedback until they get some feedback. I'm sorry, this is just ass-backward, and therfore, it is ... :bull
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Mr Mxyztplk wrote:
With The Grain wrote:I am going to go in the opposite direction. I've probably bought on ebay 50 times or so and sold maybe 5. As a buyer I leave feedback once I receive my item and it is to my standards and that of the listing, 90% of the time the feedback is reciprocated, if not oh well, I got what I wanted and thereby they deserve positive feedback, story over imo.
This just soldifies my "To Hell with feedback" position, because, as a buyer, I pay for my won auctions ridiculously fast (like 10-15 minutes after they end), and have therefore fulfilled my "buying obligations" to the fullest extent. But, regardless, sellers that want to "protect" themselves won't leave any feedback until they get some feedback. I'm sorry, this is just ass-backward, and therfore, it is ... :bull
I quickly pay at the end of anything I win as well, but that is completely irrelevant. Why is it the role of a buyer ends the moment we pay, but the seller's role does not end after he has delivered the product to you? To me that inability to see the other side of it, is more deserving of that little flag waving smiley. I do not think you are aware of the some of the scams and lengths some "buyers" will go to on ebay or just how petty people on both sides can be. Either way, it's not worth getting nearly this excited over...
Mr Mxyztplk

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

With The Grain wrote:]I quickly pay at the end of anything I win as well, but that is completely irrelevant. Why is it the role of a buyer ends the moment we pay, but the seller's role does not end after he has delivered the product to you? To me that inability to see the other side of it, is more deserving of that little flag waving smiley. I do not think you are aware of the some of the scams and lengths some "buyers" will go to on ebay or just how petty people on both sides can be. Either way, it's not worth getting nearly this excited over...
I hear you, WTG, and I should have added that I submit feedback to sellers right after I open the box to see if they sent me exactly what they said they would -- anything less is playing games.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Mr Mxyztplk wrote:
I hear you, WTG, and I should have added that I submit feedback to sellers right after I open the box to see if they sent me exactly what they said they would -- anything less is playing games.
Yeah, we're on the same page, I kind of missed that in the previous posts. That being the case it makes no sense for a seller not to leave positive feedback in return and I agree it's rude. In my very limited experience selling, as soon as someone has left feedback I do the same. The problem is both paranoia and, I suspect, that once some sellers get enough positive feedback, it's as if they've reached their goal of having good enough credit to reliably sell, that they no longer respond in kind. Definitely imperfect but tough to solve. :?
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

When a vendor gives me feedback before I offer feedback, I always say so in my feedback.