i know some of you wanted this lady gillette

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

i know some of you wanted this lady gillette

Post by D.Irving79 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 pm

With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:15 pm

shopping forum?

D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 pm

possibly. i only put it here b/c they are sometimes discussed.

Automaton-Tim

Post by Automaton-Tim » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm

looks quite nice, is the style really for females only?

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:36 pm

I have in the past purchased 2 of these, one for my wife, who does not use it, and one for a female friend who does. I tried it myself, it's very nice. It has a mild exposure and a lower profile head, flatter than the SS for example, so it's good on the upper lip and chin. The long handle is nice as well, it encourages good technique. Overall, very nice. And, if you get a pink one, an overnight soak in a hot water / scrubbing bubbles mix will take care of that, and leave you with a shiny, gleamy, silver one! :wink:
Last edited by Zach on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

yep. theres a blue star one too.

and edit: apparently a pink one :D
Last edited by D.Irving79 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Automaton-Tim wrote:looks quite nice, is the style really for females only?
I have used one, and they're a very good razor for anybody. A long lightweight handle with a good grip is the main attraction. The head is what you would expect from any TTO Gillette.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 am

I shaved with the wife's lady Gillette today, based on this thread. I changed the blade out because I didn't know its status / when (if) she last used it, so I put in a feather to compensate for the gentle nature of the razor, and I used some MWF with a pure badger, which I think makes a better lather than the super with the fat (off topic the boar and the sheep don't play well together, either).

I did inspect the heads, compared them to an Aristocrat, SS, and Rocket HD; the length and width are very close but the height of the lady razor's head is a *tad* less, making the lady razor somewhat lower in profile.

Anyway, a great shave.
I don't know if this has been suggested recently, but if you're new to wet shaving, this might be a good beginner razor, for two reasons. One, because it is a mild, forgiving razor. Two, because of the long handle, the simple physics of the razor don't allow you to use too much pressure; you just can't, unless you choke up on the handle, of course.

happy shaving,

Zach

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:51 am

Zach wrote:(off topic the boar and the sheep don't play well together, either).
They do just fine for me - don't know what's different here, but there it is. In fact I find MWF especially easy with a boar brush.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 am

I always prefer the boar with the hard soaps, but was not happy with the Omega and the MWF. It very well might be me, I only tried it a couple of times before moving to the badger (and should not have made that blanket statement).
I will try it again tomorrow!

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

Just for continuity, I'll post about this morning.

So I load up the Omega boar (which I love) with the MWF; since the boar doesn't hold as much water as the badger I don't shake as much out; I later it up and the lather is too thin, there's too much water in the brush. I reload some soap and make a good lather; for the second pass, the lather in the brush is now too dry, so I have to compensate with added water. I think that if I took the time I would learn how to make MWF and boar work well together, without compensating. Instead I think that I just went to badger.

So, this is an argument for fidelity; clearly if you stick to the same x, y, and z, you will eventually get excellent results. For me, though, I need the variety. I was not enjoying my shaves, they were routine. Now, they are ritual, and that suits me fine.

At then end of the day, you can mix the boar and the sheep and get a good shave.

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 am