Where can you buy Coates shaving cream?

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!

Would you buy Coates original formula shaving cream when available?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 44

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

paddy wrote:
Ebay seller Johnnyrainbow1. I can't remember the name of his storefront but I bought a ton of Coate's Tubes, couple pots and some Trumpers pots as well. He always had quick shipping from UK to Canada.
yeah, but this same guy really raised the price of coates when it got to be in short supply and used to really jack up the shipping also. depends what you think, but i always felt he was taking advantage of the situation of there being a distinct lack of supply.
...I'm afraid that's economics basics - price is a reflection of supply and demand - not always fair but you can't stop opportunists...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
paddy

Post by paddy »

...I'm afraid that's economics basics - price is a reflection of supply and demand - not always fair but you can't stop opportunists...
i was already aware of that, but nevertheless i am obliged to you for reminding me.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Blue As A Jewel

paddy wrote:
i was already aware of that, but nevertheless i am obliged to you for reminding me.
I wasn't trying to patronize you, rather I was trying to be supportive of your comment and observation... Sorry if it didn't play that way.
- Ravi -

brothers

Post by brothers »

I like these vendors, five are USA and two are UK. I'm likely to buy my new Coates from Paul at Connaught, Robert at The Gentlemen's Shop, Gary at Shoebox, Phil at Bullgoose, and John at WestCoast Shaving, also Vintage Blades or QED. I've bought stuff from them all and they've been honest and fair. I bought Coates from Connaught two times.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Supply and demand do not equal a pistol to the customer's head. There is a online vendor who has a great many discontinued items. I bought my Merkur HD from him and then discovered this forum. I could buy a Woods of Windsor mug and soap NIB on EBAY for @ $35 today, or from him for @ $50 :shock: The AS and EDT I love so much last retailed for @ $25. I've paid on average $30, not the $99 another EBAY optimist is offering one lone bottle for.
I don't mind a markup. But when I become 'THE MARK' I start looking at current alternatives, or wait for people like Robert. :wink:
stealth

Post by stealth »

I used to purchase my Coates from QED, and would happy buy it from any of the more reputable online US vendors.
Chandra

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot."
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I don't seem to recall his prices of Coate's to be out of the ordinary but this is 5 years ago and think before the fate of the brand was determined.

I think when converted the tubes landed at about the 12 CDN mark and tubs around the 26 to 30 range. However, I am going on memory.

The pot of Rose I have is still pretty soft given it's age. My limes is hard as a rock and I only keep it around for nostalgia purposes.

My of gripe with Coate's was those cheap plastic tubes that would crack when tightened.

On the positive side of packaging, I really liked the box the tubs came in. They were simple yet appealing, even more so than the Trumpers & T&H that I had just become familiar with.

A similar take on this would be a very nice touch!

Vendor wise, I am only really familiar with Classic Shaving and QED. Both of which I would order from again.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Esoteric83 wrote:The pot of Rose I have is still pretty soft given it's age. My limes is hard as a rock and I only keep it around for nostalgia purposes.
You can just treat hardened shaving cream as you would a hard soap and keep using it. No need to miss all those great shaves.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I hear you, but I don't know. I had just assumed let it go and remember it how it was supposed to be. That is why I never really got all that excited over the last couple years when various stock started to pop-up.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The dried shaving cream that I have (Taylor's), shaves just the same as it did when it was new. There really isn't anything to "don't know" about. (Well, if it smells bad then throw it away, but that one's obvious.)
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:The dried shaving cream that I have (Taylor's), shaves just the same as it did when it was new. There really isn't anything to "don't know" about. (Well, if it smells bad then throw it away, but that one's obvious.)
...I'd be careful pointing out the obvious... :lol:
- Ravi -

Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Nah, the scent is all but gone on this one. I doubt I'll be bringing this one out of retirement.

I've queued up the still fresh Rose pot I have for my once every couple month Coate's shave tomorrow. How it is still in this shape has me puzzled, but I am not complaining. :P
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're a lucky guy!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, Well, I kind of relate to 'Esoteric'. For me, when the creams get to the point where they don't entirely dissolve in the mixing bowl I find it annoying. And when it gets where you have to treat it as a hard soap I don't think it shaves the same. Although it seems to work for some, my attempts to re-hydrate dried out creams have never really been satisfactory. I sort of hate to admit it, but I've just tossed more than one unfinished pot that got to that point. Of the Coate's I still have the Lime and the Sandalwood, while a tad dense, are still pretty much normally useable. The Almond has gotten to the point where I just set it aside.
Regards,
Gordon
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

Hello,

Thank you for your help on this one, I'm sure this demonstrates to any potential distributor the appeal of working with Coates products both in the UK and North America.

It is interesting that Gordon mentioned purchasing Coates shaving cream in Brooks Brothers as we have Coates hairbrushes branded with the Coates logo. We also have a copy of the New York Times from 2007 on the wall of the office with Gordon commenting on the last delivery of Coates to the US.

I'm afraid that Coates appearing on your favourite vendors shelves may take quite a while, but I am confident of having the first original formulae Coates shaving creams available in the Autumn of 2010 with a solid worldwide distribution network in place.

In the meantime we are still waiting for our Limited Edition to be ready for sale and have launched a website, www.coates1847.com which includes a preview of the new range we are developing alongside the traditional range.

All the best, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I really like the design of the site and especially like the logo on the boxes. Very simple, yet classy at the same time. A lot of brands these days come off as trying too hard in this area whereas these just look right.

Does this mean we can expect the similar packaging but with the new logo / color?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I'd like to see the old logos on the cream tubs. Why not keep them if the cream will be as close to the original as possible?
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Robert, you know your business, but that fellow who is the first thing you see when you click on your link looks like a wimp.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Aaron622

Post by Aaron622 »

Cantata 140, nice :)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Robert, Dang! I don't even have a copy of that NY Times piece on the wall.....kinda wish I did though. Very flattering that you do though. If any of the traditional Coate's creams are ready by this autumn, that would be impressive as well as welcome. Interesting about how Coate's allowed Simpson to use their facility during WWII. There is a similiar story about how, when there was a major fire at the Bronnley soap works, other private quality makers allowed Bronnley the use of their facility to continue manufacturing until the Bronnley plant could be repaired. Hard to picture that sort of thing happening today, although maybe it does and I've not heard of it.
Regards,
Gordon