Lake Superior Sand, Smelted, Michi-gane Razor

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Tim Zowada

Lake Superior Sand, Smelted, Michi-gane Razor

Post by Tim Zowada »

Those of you familiar with my work know I don't post here often. Life is just too busy. But, I have done something recently that some of you may find interesting. Since there will be very few of these razors, I decided to post a few photos here.

This is my very first razor made from Lake Superior beach sand. The sand was smelted in a bloomery style smelter. The resulting bloom was folded and welded until I had a good piece of steel to work with. This is essentially the same as Japanese Tamahagane. But, it wasn't smelted from Japanese sand, in a Tatara smelter located in Japan. So, I just call it Michi-gane".

The whole story has been written-up and will be in "Knives 2012", due out sometime in the Spring.

The photos below are of the Lake Superior collection site, my smelter, and the finished razor. In keeping with the "made in Michigan" theme, the scales are from a Whitetail deer shot by my father-in-law.

I do plan on doing more "Michi-gane" in the future. Making razors and knives from "dirt" is pretty addicting. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Tim Z.

merkri

Post by merkri »

That's completely, totally awesome.

I consider Lake Superior home; I love things like this.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Impressive indeed!!!
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fascinating. Can't wait to read about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Nice razor for sure. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I've never had any interest in trying a straight, until today.

--Glenn
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, that is amazing and beautiful!

How many of these are you making?

- Murray
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

CMur12 wrote:Wow, that is amazing and beautiful!

- Murray
murray,

They will be a regular part of my production. With all the work involved, my best guess is that I will make between 10 and 15 per year. The next thing I want to try is to laminate it with some meteorite...

Tim Z.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim Zowada wrote:
CMur12 wrote:Wow, that is amazing and beautiful!

- Murray
murray,

They will be a regular part of my production. With all the work involved, my best guess is that I will make between 10 and 15 per year. The next thing I want to try is to laminate it with some meteorite...Tim Z.
Now that would be exotic! :)

- Murray
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I tried translating fencing into sword collecting. The prices quenched that fire, but I covered some fascinating material. A smith processes his own ore and on the other end produces viking swords for $5000 each. An acquainance thought that silly and paid a few hundred for a indian made replica. It bent on the first blow. His berzerker scream changed pitch mid cry.
Meteorites were the first source for iron/steel blades.
For those of us who must;how much?
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

KAV wrote:I tried translating fencing into sword collecting. The prices quenched that fire, but I covered some fascinating material. A smith processes his own ore and on the other end produces viking swords for $5000 each. An acquainance thought that silly and paid a few hundred for a indian made replica. It bent on the first blow. His berzerker scream changed pitch mid cry.
Meteorites were the first source for iron/steel blades.
For those of us who must;how much?
KAV, I have a friend who makes swords like that. I think $5000 is the low end of the price range! He's really good though, and can't make them fast enough.

I have some meteorite, and will be laminating it with the "sand steel", for a razor later this winter.

I honestly can't quote the retail price. I don't set it. Classicshaving does. We have this agreement ... The blade in the photo is my "very first". It will also be featured in "Knives 2012". I'm sure it will be quite pricey.

I work on a time plus materials basis. Making this steel takes a lot longer than my regular Damascus. This has taken a long time to say that my best guess would be two to three times my regular prices.

I hope this helps.

Tim Z.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Ah, Lake Superior! Do you make other stuff from that metal? I would love to carry a bit of the North Shore in my pocket. *sigh*

- Will (who has backpacked Isle Royale and climbed the rocks of Gooseberry Falls)
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

wenestvedt wrote:Ah, Lake Superior! Do you make other stuff from that metal? I would love to carry a bit of the North Shore in my pocket. *sigh*

- Will (who has backpacked Isle Royale and climbed the rocks of Gooseberry Falls)
Will, I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it some thought. Maybe a watch fob, or something like that. Thanks for the idea.

Tim Z.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

For those of us unfamiliar with metal working, is the sand used as a source of the iron (is it a form of iron ore?) or is it used to give certain properties to iron you are working with?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

or make us some double edge razor blades..

we need them

marc

any idea how much these razors will sell for?

marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Dave,
The sand is very rich in iron ore and by it's form excellent for smelting.
Put Gordon Lightfoot on. The Edmund Fitzgerald was carrying iron ore when she foundered.

Chris- who was TAD on the USCGC Mackinaw
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

My uncle works in a taconite mine up there. There's iron in EVERYTHING.

- Will
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Watch fob, or something with broader appeal (since so few of us have watch chains anymore): a keychain ornament of some kind might be more popular. Think: cross/crucifix? flag? outline of your favorite state? tiny prybar?

Yeah, knowing what the metal was could arguably outweigh the beauty or utility of the item it's fashioned into. *shrug*

I would be happy with a slug of it enclosing a Lake Superior Agate, or rolled and drilled into a whistle. Wow, that would be neat, now that Is see it typed out. :7)

- Will