Moss Scuttle Anniversary Prize Draw

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
SaraBonnyman

Moss Scuttle Anniversary Prize Draw

Post by SaraBonnyman »

Thank you! This competition is now closed. Winner will be announced on July 6th. Please see new posting for our second competition - ending August 31st 2011.

The internationally renowned Moss Scuttle is 5 years old! Help us celebrate, and enter by June 30 2011 for your chance to win a Slate Anniversary Edition - choice of large or small, shipped to anywhere in the world. See poster for details.
Enjoy!

THIS DRAW CLOSES MIDNIGHT JUNE 30TH. WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED AND NOTIFIED. THANK YOU!!
Last edited by SaraBonnyman on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sara Bonnyman
http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com
My pots are individually made by hand to hold a simple pleasure.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

These are very nice looking pieces!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Thanks for the contest.
Dave
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Beautiful work - thanks for the opportunity.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks Sara -- love my Moss (that's scuttle, not Dr -- although I have the highest regard for the man :wink: )
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Love my Moss Scuttle. Great contest!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I'm in!

I'd like to give one of these a try!
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

lousy Library computer wont let me access .com contacts :cry:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm sure if you use the e-mail link under Sal's post and explain, she will accept an e-mailed entry.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SaraBonnyman

Post by SaraBonnyman »

Hi - no problem to use the email address!

Sara
ben74

Post by ben74 »

I'm in! What a fantastic way to celebrate 5 years with a super looking slate anniversary edition scuttle! Happy 5th Birthday and thanks for the opportunity to win one!
Ben
Gene

Post by Gene »

I'm in, too!

I love how those scuttles look, and I've heard their performance is fantastic.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

I'm in!
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

I'm in!
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
jkingrph

Post by jkingrph »

Thanks for the drawing. Entry completed.

I a enjoying the scuttle I got earlier this year.

Jeff
Jeff
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

Does anybody have experience with this and the Dirty Bird 1.5X? The Moss gets a lot of praise, but it looks pretty small for building lather. I'm thinking of getting one if it makes for a good hybrid between a standard and a brush scuttle.
--Josh
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Josh, the Moss was designed as a lather warmer rather than a lather bowl. My better half got me the large size which I found to big for the brushes I like, so I plunked a puck of Blenheim Bouquet in it and load from there. The scent is extraordinary.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

Right, so it's a "brush scuttle" more or less? Just holds the brush and the lather you made elsewhere.
--Josh
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I think some people use the large scuttle for lather making. I have the small and do just a few swirls and then face lather. I think it works its magic with heat doing it this way.

Thanks for the celebration Sara! You are such a nice person to deal with--and you identified with the western era of the fifties and sixties!
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

JPDyson wrote:Right, so it's a "brush scuttle" more or less? Just holds the brush and the lather you made elsewhere.
Here we go again. The entire point of the invention of this cream scuttle was to make something that would allow hot lather from cream. To do that it must not be so big that the heated walls fail to contact the brush and it's lather, nor so small that the brush bangs against the walls and makes a nasty noise that might wake you, or your partner, before it is strictly necessary. I measured the loft and the canopy spread of all my brushes (about 80 (brushes, not millimeters) at the time) and came up with a size for the inner cylinder that is smaller than that used in the many imitations. The intention was that it should be used by filling the space between the double walls with water as hot as you can easily provide. After your other preparations, you may choose to pour out this water and replace it with more hot water to keep the temperature up. Then I soaked my brush, applied a dab (or a squirt from a tube) of cream to the brush, and started the lather in the warm inner container of the scuttle. After a few swirls the brush is warm and ready to transfer to the face for the real work of building the shaving lather, which should always be done on the face. After doing so, the brush and the remaining lather it contains are placed back in the scuttle to keep warm until you are ready for the next pass. This stage will not work at all if the scuttle diameter is too large, and I find the small size appropriate for even 30mm knot brushes. Sally's large size doesn't work as well for me (I assume that Oscar's bizarre and enormous abominations also fail in this respect more spectacularly than those of the many other copycats that have arisen since). Sally has experimented with deeper scuttles, which didn't work as she expected as the handle of the brush will clatter noisily against the pottery, and might also cause some chipping of the ceramic - BUT, and this is only something that a user could discover, if a puck of soap is placed in the deeper scuttle the brush handle will not contact the sides of the scuttle and you have a soap scuttle that will allow multiple passes of hot lather. You just have to be prepared to dedicate one soap to the scuttle to do this. If you are a user of just one favourite soap I strongly recommend you try this - I have used a deep scuttle this way for extended periods with Tabac and rather enjoyed it. I suppose you might be extravagant enough to buy a scuttle for each soap you like, but that is territory I haven't explored (not referencing Hamlet here, but if no traveller returned, I would assume the effort was worthwhile!)
Once again, I will re-iterate that I am not connected in any financial relationship with Sally, and make not one penny from the sales of the scuttle. I just want others to enjoy the pleasures I designed for myself.

Chris
Unpatented, Open Source Shaver
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace