"Before Gillette" Book for collectors

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
robert-00

"Before Gillette" Book for collectors

Post by robert-00 »

lulu.com/spotlight/razors[/color]

A book to help identify those strange razors. Before Gillette traces the history of razor guards, guard razors, and safety razors prior to Gillette’s first 1902 British patent. Here are the stories of over six score patents and inventors starting with the ideas of a French cutler in 1762, a British engineer in 1847, and the Kampfe Brothers in Manhattan (who coined the term “safety razor”). The book traces the complex origins of the American Safety Razor Company (Ever-Ready, Gem, et al.). Included also are the rarities: Dr. Scott’s “Electric” razor, the Torrey Toboggan, the Fox, and the razors of the Reichard and Scheuber Mfg. Co., and many more.
Last edited by robert-00 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Re: 14% OFF "Before Gillette" Book for collectors

Post by brothers »

Robert, I was in the process of placing an order, and suddenly it dawned on me that I already bought your excellent book a while back! There is a ton of valuable information in it, and I always wonder how did someone manage to do all of that research and compile it in such a useful resource. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
robert-00

Re: 14% OFF "Before Gillette" Book for collectors

Post by robert-00 »

Thanks! I am glad you find the book worthwhile. Hint: it also make a good gift for a collector friend. :)
It took about 28 years of collecting and much help from other collectors (see acknowledgments in the Preface). I also spend a lot of time in our local public library searching census, patent, and trademark records. Thought for the day: One does't "find" time, one makes it.
-Robert