Restored and shop-made shaving brushes

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Restored and shop-made shaving brushes

Post by Sam »

Wow. Just as I thought. Anyway, sent you a PM
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Guys, I am getting a black peacock with the new tuxedo knot. I am pumped. Maybe Vladmir can post a pic before he ships it
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Sam wrote:Guys, I am getting a black peacock with the new tuxedo knot. I am pumped. Maybe Vladmir can post a pic before he ships it
I'll post a picture when it's ready next week.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the information about these new synthetic knots. Your description of the performance vis-a-vis badger brushes has caught my attention!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

brothers wrote:Thanks for the information about these new synthetic knots. Your description of the performance vis-a-vis badger brushes has caught my attention!
Gary, if you haven't tried any new synthetics in a while, give one or both of these a try. You will be amazed. They are very good. At this point I like the Tuxedo a little better, though I think BOSS looks better and the difference is very small. Both are amazing knots for very low price. I am going to be stocking both of these for a while. Best alternative to badger yet! You would need to spend a bunch of money to get an equivalent brush in badger!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a handful of synthetics that I think they call Plissoft. Are these new ones a step beyond that?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

brothers wrote:I've got a handful of synthetics that I think they call Plissoft. Are these new ones a step beyond that?
I never met a synthetic I liked until these new Chinese knots. These actually deliver similar performance to badger. Plissoft and other fancy brand named synthetics never did it for me. I still like a good badger, but these new synthetics really create a money saving option. I could be happy owning just one of these brushes (though I'd miss boar and badger feel, I'd never miss the actual good quality shave).
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Here is a brush I made as "second" for a forum member. Black Peacock resin handle and Tuxedo synthetic knot.

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yup, that is my brush and it is so stunning in person. Can't wait to use this new "tuxedo" knot. It feels denser and has more backbone than my Edwin Jagger. Maybe Vladmir will get the small 22 knot and I might get a travel brush. These resins he has have some great variation There is a little pop of blue in it. He has some other blue resins I have had my eye on.
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Sam wrote:Yup, that is my brush and it is so stunning in person. Can't wait to use this new "tuxedo" knot. It feels denser and has more backbone than my Edwin Jagger. Maybe Vladmir will get the small 22 knot and I might get a travel brush. These resins he has have some great variation There is a little pop of blue in it. He has some other blue resins I have had my eye on.
Sam, glad you like the brush! As for 22mm synthetics, I haven't seen them and I think this knot is kind of in a sweet spot of size. Smaller may not deliver the same performance. I make really nice small badger brushes for traveling. I think badgers work better in a small size than synthetics. I may be mistaken, though. I never saw or tried a 22mm synthetic in these fibers. It may work...

Enjoy your brush!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been thinking about using a new pure white Omega brush handle I've had for about 5 years (but haven't used it) that currently carries some kind of boring boar from the factory, and I really don't anticipate ever using it as-is. I think I should get either a Cashmere (all white synthetic) or Tuxedo (black with white tips) and either one would really go well with the nice handle. The thing that sets this Omega brush apart from the run of the mill boar brushes is that the handle is solid, not hollow. The extra weight makes a difference. I could end up with a new custom synthetic that looks as good as it feels when in use. Once I make up my mind and get a new synthetic knot I can make the transition in an hour or less. That's all I need now, another new one-off synthetic brush!
Gary

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Just finished a brush by custom order. Tie-Die resin with Elite Manchurian White two band badger fan knot.

Dimensions:

Total height: 120mm
Handle: 70mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 30mm

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

I added two new brushes to my Etsy shop today. Please check them out.

First one is a Keyhole in Blue and Gold resin with a two band finest knot.

The second one is available as a "Handle Only" or with a choice of four knots. BOSS synthetic, Tuxedo synthetic, TGN two bad finest fan or Elite Manchurian White bulb.

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Another new brush in my Etsy store. This one is Maple wood and Tie-Die resin with choice of knots: BOSS, Tuxedo, TGN finest fan or Elite Manchurian bulb.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tuxedo synthetic is probably the best looking of all.
Gary

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

brothers wrote:Tuxedo synthetic is probably the best looking of all.
Tuxedo is a great synthetic knot. But the badger knot in pictures are not bloomed. They are still in their factory state. There is some stuff that they are treated with at the factory to stay compacted like that, I think (but not 100% sure). After one good was they forever look different and better, fluffier. I should probably have washed them before photographing them like I do with my other brushes, but I like to wash them after they are glued in (for no particular reason). Anyway, they are all fantastic knots. Can't go wrong, really. Tuxedo is an amazing performer for a synthetic, but so is the BOSS. They are about the same in use, but look different.
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

I have created two similar, but different brushes. I was kind of taken with the beauty of the combinations produced, so I went with some experimental techniques.

Here is the first one. Black Olive resin on top, Renaissance on the bottom and Crushed Cranberry (red wine) for a ring accent. I have cut the bottom part in two and flipped the parts end for end to obtain a sort-of a Yin-Yang effect. I thought it worked well in this case. I inserted a thin black line to delineate the transition between the halves. This piece is offered with a choice of knots: BOSS, Tuxedo, TGN two band or Elite Manchurian.

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Second brush is more traditional with no vertical splits. Resins are: Golden Black on top, Renaissance on the bottom and Crushed Cranberry (red wine) for the ring accent. This one is also offered in choice of knots or as "handle only".

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Two new brushes in my Etsy store. The two are identical. Made with shredded US currency resin in Chubby style. Choice of knots available. Please check it out!

vferdman

Post by vferdman »

A brush by custom order. Muave Coral, Emerald Green and Royal Harvest resins. Tuxedo synthetic knot.