Czech & Speake closing Jermyn Street store

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Thalay Sagar

Czech & Speake closing Jermyn Street store

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Just got a e-mail announcing the above and that the goods will continue to be available online and through vendors.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Czech & Speake closing Jermyn Street store

Post by Squire »

Sign of the times I recon.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Goes to show that the high end brick and mortar stores are being outsold by the online market. One would speculate that the overhead associated with a flagship store with a big city big street address is an expensive luxury that eats up a lot of resources.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris did your email say when they would be closing the store?
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Czech actually has another shop somewhere ..I think...in Pimlico that remains open. I believe the Jermyn Street shop closes on 28 June. Something is happening on Jermyn Street, more than one venerable shop has closed or moved, including Trumper. I suspect it may have more to do with real estate maneuvers than retail viability.

Buzz
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

M6Classic wrote: I believe the Jermyn Street shop closes on 28 June.

Buzz
Buzz has it- the e-mail stated closing is at 5PM on that date.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

M6Classic wrote:Czech actually has another shop somewhere ..I think...in Pimlico that remains open. I believe the Jermyn Street shop closes on 28 June. Something is happening on Jermyn Street, more than one venerable shop has closed or moved, including Trumper. I suspect it may have more to do with real estate maneuvers than retail viability.

Buzz
Good. This makes more sense than the lapse of retail viability.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There has been other comment regarding real estate development in the area and retailers being priced out. I just wondered if they would still be open when Gordon swings through this Fall.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:There has been other comment regarding real estate development in the area and retailers being priced out. I just wondered if they would still be open when Gordon swings through this Fall.
Well, Squire, the density of shave destinations on Jermyn Street certainly has thinned, but Floris is still at No. 89 and there are many non-shaving destinations on the street. Trumper moved their St James' shop from Jermyn Street to Duke of York. I always preferred the Jermyn Street Trumper, but more men were dedicated to the Mayfair store which hasn't moved. Truefitt & Hill is still around the corner on St James's Street. So, yeah, Gordon may have to do a bit more walking to pray at all the shrines, but in London that isn't a bad thing. If he is all worn out, he need only stop by the bar at Duke's Hotel (we usually bunk at Duke's) for a bracing Vesper.

Buzz