www.gentlemans-shop.com

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

www.gentlemans-shop.com

Post by english_barber »

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

We still offer a 10% discount on all orders using code SMF10.

As we also offer free UK delivery on any value of order I'm afraid we also now ask that you spend at least £25.00 before using the code. We just couldn't offer free shipping on orders below £22.50 - sorry...

Best, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
EL Alamein

Re: www.gentlemans-shop.com

Post by EL Alamein »

Anyone know of what happened to this once great shop?

On a lark I came across a link to it and it now seems to be located in Vietnam as an ebay only shop? The barbershop seems to have been sold and under new ownership while the online business has been sold off separately to a Vietnamese outfit.

Anyone hear from Robert Johnston as to what exactly has happened?

I have made many a purchase from this venerable shop in the past (my first Trumper's products so many years ago when I was first married - so many wonderful memories, including having my first BK brush delivered especially on a Sunday - how'd they pull that off, I'll never know) but will no longer do so now that they've seemingly sold out.

I know I've been scarce the last year because I've changed careers which has taken all my time but, Dear Heavens, I just couldn't imagine this happening. What has become of Robert and Charlotte Johnston?

Anyone have any information on this transformation?

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't know, but it's very sad if they didn't make it. Good people.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

The link posted above takes one to Robert's' Ebay store, which is currently active. It appears they may be liquidating the remaining stock due to the fact that very few articles are listed in his Ebay store.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think I'm right in remembering that they had a dodgy partner in the Coates venture and he may have cost them their business.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote:I think I'm right in remembering that they had a dodgy partner in the Coates venture and he may have cost them their business.
Ugh! God Bless them! I hate to see the sundering of something so wonderful.

Chris
GentlemansShop

Post by GentlemansShop »

Hi All, hope you are all well.

All business have a beginning, middle and an end.

In 2010 Charlotte and myself were on a beach in southern France and decided that The Gentleman's Shop was the middle of the end and it was time to bow out

The increasing numbers of overseas barbershops would soon swamp the market, our online business was no longer unique as our own suppliers were dealing directly with our customers and our retail shop had become showroom for the internet with customers visiting the store to see goods then buying online at "the best price". Suddenly everyone was an expert and thirty years experience counted for nothing if you "read it on the internet".

Having sold our interest in Coates to http://www.redlionfoods.co in 2013. next year we set about selling our barbershop / retail business to our friend and manager of the business Billy in 2014, http://www.hungerfordbarbers.co.uk which thrives to this day in Hungerford High St.

Three years on I am a manager for Marks and Spencer http://www.marksandspencer.com and look after Clothing, Home, Beauty and Hospitality. Charlotte is an assistant manager at http://www.metrobankonline.co.uk with http://www.gentlemans-shop.com running quietly as an ebay shop from our home.

We have a great affection for our business, enjoyed a good income and lifestyle from it whilst meeting so many awesome people. But we are now enjoying the opportunities offered now we are free from business constraints.
Last edited by GentlemansShop on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Johnston
The Gentleman's Shop
Charnham House
29 & 30 Charnham Street
Hungerford, RG17 0EJ

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com
Twitter: @GentlemansShop
Facebook:/GentlemansShop
brothers

Post by brothers »

Robert, thanks for the update! I'm sure we all extend our sincere best wishes for continued good fortune and success in your freshly reinvented situation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good to hear from you Robert and I wish you both continued success.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Robert and Charlotte, glad to hear from you and glad to know you're well.

Thanks for all the memories. Wishing you continued success in all your ventures.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:I think I'm right in remembering that they had a dodgy partner in the Coates venture and he may have cost them their business.
We were all excited with the news that Robert and Charlotte had acquired Coates, and were going to try to resurrect the brand. We know they did their best and we're all disappointed that it didn't seem to work out.
Gary