Photos on SMF

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
brothers

Photos on SMF

Post by brothers »

Some of us post photos, and for some reason one seemingly simple way of posting results in extremely large photos. So large that it creates an impossibility of viewing them by sliding bars back and forth, up and down, which doesn't work when the thing is so wide you can't even see the bars on the right side of the frame, rendering them of no value.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Photos on SMF

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you are linking a photo already residing elsewhere on the web, it must be the right size of there will be problems. 800 - 1024 pixels wide should prevent the scrolling needed for even larger photos.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I admit to missing the ability to have the old forum sw to alter the photo size automatically. Maybe there is an easy way to do this one's self, but I am not very digital photo altering friendly, so this may be a dumb point to some.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The Shave Nook (sorry chaps) has a functionality that allows me to post photographs from my IPad directly to a thread. Does SMF have such a functionality?
Bryan
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I agree...it's a pain in the butt to have to go through my camera menu,and then set the pixel count to the very lowest setting (email setting on mine),take the photos I want to post,then reset everything to it's original setting...It shouldn't be too hard to reinstall the automatic photo resizer ,this is just about the only site I know of that does not use it (anymore)..
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Or have to resize them in IrfanView or Gimp ...... but it's the company I come here for, not the photographs ..... although I do appreciate Chris Moss' excellent taste in photography -- not to mention the fabulous view from his deck.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Rufus wrote:The Shave Nook (sorry chaps) has a functionality that allows me to post photographs from my IPad directly to a thread. Does SMF have such a functionality?
You will need the app Resize Image on your iPad to make them a suitable size (eg 800 pixels on the longest side) and then save the smaller photo to your photo roll. When you attach the image to your post using the Upload Attachment Browse button below the post composing field, the iPad will then let you navigate to and choose the resized image.

Thank you, Wendell, for the kind comments. I'm playing with a Nikon F6 this week and after I do some developing at the weekend might have some results to show.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

oooh --- can hardly wait!
Wendell

Airportcopper

Post by Airportcopper »

Is there a free iPad app for photos??
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Resize Image is free.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
a-cut-above

Photos on SMF

Post by a-cut-above »

I am trying to upload photos to the Gallery to then use on my post. I get the following message:
Notice: Undefined offset: 8192 in /home/smfwebadmin2/shavemyface.com/gallery/include/debugger.inc.php on line 113

Notice: Undefined offset: 8192 in /home/smfwebadmin2/shavemyface.com/gallery/include/debugger.inc.php on line 113

Help.

P.S. When I use the "Upload attachment" tab below the field where I type my post, the photo shows up as an "Attachment" and is labeled as such. Do I upload to the Gallery first then pull it in to my post or is there a more direct way to put photos in like you all do?
Thanks.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you use the upload attachment function the photo doesn't go in the gallery, nor does it need to. After uploading it the post composer box reloads andyou can then place the attachment inline into the post as you see fit.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Am I correct that if I want to avoid having the photo require a slide for viewing the entire photo, I should first resize the photo to a max of 800 on the longest side before I upload it?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

What about the error message I get when I try to log in to the gallery?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The gallery stopped working for most members even before we upgraded to phpBB3. Vince isn't going to fix it, so it's necessary to either attach your photos to a post as described above, or to host them somewhere on the web and link them into your post with the IMG tags.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Delete photo?
Last edited by brothers on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sadly, that brush is till too big to fit on one screen without scrolling! I'm using an MBP 13". Not a problem, though, given my dislike of synthetic brushes. Perfectly happy to consume every part of a pig except for the squeak, as we used to say in Wiltshire, and I can't see why the most avid protecteur of badgers would object to the excellent boar brushes available. Probably off topic, so ignore me.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Being just a test, I skipped right past the resizing. I used to do that. :D On brushes, cost/performance is important (cheap and good). Boars are almost as inexpensive as synthetics, and badgers are 10 to 100 times more expensive than synthetics while performing equally as well for me. My 500 - 800 dollar brushes aren't any better in cheap/good (my expectations and perceptions) than my plastic ones. I love them all, from the 8 dollar to the 800 ones.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm curious about the fact that some other guys' posts in the Shutterbug Shaver forum contain 10 or more photos, but when I try to attach more than 1 photo (resized to less than 800 in both directions and following the instructions in the Attachments tab) it doesn't work no matter how many times I try. Also, the large photo of the brush that I attached above will not disappear no matter how many times I try to edit it out. Bottom line, I can't delete an existing photo and simultaneously I can't attach more than 1 photo in a new post, and a great many of the photos I have posted recently (after 2013) are all gone now. Probably all my fault, operator error, but still very frustrating. I probably should enroll in some basic classes at the vo-tech, or ask my 11 year old granddaughter to show me what I'm doing wrong. :oops:
Gary