I know you're playing around with new things...

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
ScottS

I know you're playing around with new things...

Post by ScottS »

But I can't say I like how breaking out the announcements and stickies forces the first real new message much further down the page when it was before. YMMV, of course, but if you go with this, you'll have to be extra careful to really keep these announcements and stickies to an absolute minimum.

The "posting guidelines" perhaps takes up more space than it deserves under this new scheme. Perhaps it can go into its own POSTING GUIDELINES forum in the announcements category-- locked, of course.
Johnnie
Shave This

Re: I know you're playing around with new things...

Post by Johnnie »

Hi Scott-

Yes we are playing around with new things. In the General forum, once the SMF III sales have ended you will only see two stickies. You may have also noticed that we've consolidated a lot of other stickies or deleted them. We are trying to organize the site a little better. At first I didn't like it either but it really makes it a lot more organized and easier to find the first post.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Scott - point well taken - keep in mind a lot of the announcements and stickies will be cleaned up once the SMF III sales are over. This also keeps us on our toes to make sure things don't get too cluttered and stay organized! :lol:

EDIT: Sorry Johnnie - you beat me to the punch!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Johnnie wrote:Hi Scott-

Yes we are playing around with new things. In the General forum, once the SMF III sales have ended you will only see two stickies. You may have also noticed that we've consolidated a lot of other stickies or deleted them. We are trying to organize the site a little better. At first I didn't like it either but it really makes it a lot more organized and easier to find the first post.

J
OK-- I can certainly buy that. In fact, I appreciated the breakout on a different forum, but then I went to the General and didn't appreciate the way it pushed things around. But the point is well taken, as it will go away soon. I don't think the same will happen for future things like this, as with the format already in place, there would be less sticky threads for something along these lines.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

ScottS wrote:But I can't say I like how breaking out the announcements and stickies forces the first real new message much further down the page when it was before. YMMV, of course, but if you go with this, you'll have to be extra careful to really keep these announcements and stickies to an absolute minimum.

The "posting guidelines" perhaps takes up more space than it deserves under this new scheme. Perhaps it can go into its own POSTING GUIDELINES forum in the announcements category-- locked, of course.
Let's try it for a week, then if you guys still don't like it I will remove this feature.

I'd really like to give mods a chance to first clean up any announcements and stickies first.

Vince
:::Vince:::
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

I like the separation of the categories. It really makes the topics stick out from the stickies and annoucements. This way I can see what topics are new, and not just new replies to some old sticky I read eons ago.
-Steve
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Thanks Vince. I like it. It organizes the threads and makes it easier to read.
Blue As A Jewel

Austin wrote:Thanks Vince. I like it. It organizes the threads and makes it easier to read.
Ditto, +1 and all that....
- Ravi -

VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

ScottS wrote:But I can't say I like how breaking out the announcements and stickies forces the first real new message much further down the page when it was before. YMMV, of course, but if you go with this, you'll have to be extra careful to really keep these announcements and stickies to an absolute minimum.

How about a compromise? I merged Announcements and Stickies into a single section. This should reduce the amount of vertical space taken up.

Vince
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Vince, I like it the other way better.
Blue As A Jewel

Austin wrote:Vince, I like it the other way better.
Ditto, +1 and all that....
- Ravi -

VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

>.<
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

VinceFX wrote:>.<
Look, everybody! It's the patented Vince Wince!
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

yoyology wrote:
VinceFX wrote:>.<
Look, everybody! It's the patented Vince Wince!
That reminded me of this:

Richard
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hey, are we still playing with the whistle?

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

May I be the new POSTING GUIDELINES Moderator? :D

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just noticed the SMF University forum. I think that's a great idea. However, may I suggest you make it the top forum, above General Shaving? The reason for this is that when newbs come to a site they look for General first and post their "Help me, please!" topic in there (as I did). By putting the University on top, it should lower the possibility of newb putting their plea post in the wrong forum.

I really like the forum re-organization. I think it's much better.
Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

I just use the "View posts since last visit" selection and don't have to worry about stickies and announcements till they have been replied to.
--Charlie