list of watched/subscribed threads

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
leland

list of watched/subscribed threads

Post by leland »

Hi there,

A lot of boards have ways to see your list of watched/subscribed threads. For a board like this it would be especially handy since there are "reference" posts that I want to save and have a list of, but don't necessary have that much traffic.

I think some versions of phpBB have this enabled, and having this feature (or knowing where it currently exists) would be great.

Oh, and everyone loves a wiki ;)
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

I agree, this will be a very useful feature.

I hope it is implemented :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Gents-

In your profile there is an option.

Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

You can select the "yes" button and you will be notified.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

... or, at the bottom left of the page you want, click "watch this topic for replies".

But this only works when the thread gets a reply. Isn't the requested function more of a bookmark than a notification? (I just use my browser's bookmark function for this. YMMV.)
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

notthesharpest wrote:... or, at the bottom left of the page you want, click "watch this topic for replies".

But this only works when the thread gets a reply. Isn't the requested function more of a bookmark than a notification? (I just use my browser's bookmark function for this. YMMV.)
ur right, the question was if we can have a list of threads u can subscribe to so that u can refer back to them at a later stage if needed. the "watch" function is only if u wanna be notified of replies to the thread.

the subscribe function will be kinda cool, coz sometimes i remember a particular thread i wanna refer back to and it takes a while to find it using the search function.

-R.

timc

Post by timc »

I agree that it would be a nice feature, but have you considered that you could get a similar result by bookmarking the page?

Also, I find it a lot easier to find stuff using Google than the search function here.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

timc wrote:I agree that it would be a nice feature, but have you considered that you could get a similar result by bookmarking the page?

u mean bookmark it in the favorites in the browser ? I wud much prefer if it saved it in the users profile for easy access. They will look like a page with various threads and will be easy to spot the one I am looking for.

leland

Post by leland »

Yes, I could add it to my bookmarks, delicious, save it in a text file, or we could have a wiki for repetitive topics... I just find it most useful to have the list in the place where I use the information, moreover it gives a way to edit those subscriptions.

As they say, a watched topic never boils.
aih

Re: list of watched/subscribed threads

Post by aih »

I found this thread searching, trying to figure out, "Is it me?"..... I'm not getting any subscription notifications, not to forums I've subscribed to, or threads I've subscribed to, or threads I've posted in. I've been through my User Control Panel settings backwards and forwards. It this just not working? Fine if that's the case, just asking.

EDIT: I see I didn't post in the thread I wanted to. Had several open. Meant to post in the thread specifically about the notifications. My error. But I'll leave the post here. They are all very old threads and I doubt it matters.
- Ira