Kudos to SMF Staff!

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
sysiphus

Kudos to SMF Staff!

Post by sysiphus »

These guys are great!

Got logged out of my account, and the Mods and Admins took care of me in no time flat!
David
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

We aim to please. :lol:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For the general information of members, if you need to change your e-mail address in your profile, please tell an admin what you would like it changed to, as it invariably results in your account being inactivated. The admins can activate the account again, so can make the change and heal the damage in one swift and smooth motion. Do it yourself and you'll be locked out and e-mailing us for help!

Chris
Though with a name like Sisyphus I guess I should go and inactivate it again, and again, and again.....
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
timc

Post by timc »

How does changing your e-mail address result in your account being inactivated? Is this a "feature"?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

Probably has to do with the email validation feature of the forum.

On another note.
Why have the forum sign-up page say "for assistance, mailto: Admin", then the reply gives you a link to the forums, this one specifically, and says to contact through this forum. If I am having trouble registering, and you must be registered to post in the forums...
David

Post by sysiphus »

drmoss_ca wrote:For the general information of members, if you need to change your e-mail address in your profile, please tell an admin what you would like it changed to, as it invariably results in your account being inactivated. The admins can activate the account again, so can make the change and heal the damage in one swift and smooth motion. Do it yourself and you'll be locked out and e-mailing us for help!

Chris
perhaps a "sticky", or are we so few and far between?
drmoss_ca wrote:Though with a name like Sisyphus I guess I should go and inactivate it again, and again, and again.....
Not gonna say anything.....Digging myself outta that hole would be, well, a Sisyphean effort! :shock:
David
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It is to do with e-mail validation, and is part of the ongoing efforts to stop bots. I think it should be in the-stuff-you-have-to-read-and-agree-to when you join, but I guess few ever actually read or remember that stuff. A sticky might help, but I'm loathe to make too many stickies as it is ugly to have half a page of stickies at the top of a forum. But since this forum doesn't have any....

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace