Issue with forum and tabbed browsing.

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
DrRoboto

Issue with forum and tabbed browsing.

Post by DrRoboto »

Hello all. I have a slight issue with the behavior of the forum software. I expect that I will find other users that have been annoyed by the same feature.

I use Firefox for my internet browsing needs, and use tabbed browsing extensively. My use of Firefox doesn't really apply though since even MS Internet Explorer now has tabbed browsing capability.

For those unfamiliar with tabbed browsing, it allows me to open multiple tabbed pages in one browser window which I can then alternate between. Very useful for instance when reading a post with a few links I want to view. I can hold ctrl down while I click the link, and it will load in the background while I continue reading the current post. Or I can quickly scan any section of the forum, quickly ctrl+click the threads I wish to view, and start reading the first one while the others load in the background, ready to view as soon as I'm done with the current one.

For some reason (and I've encountered other forums that do the same thing, but the majority do not) when I ctrl+click a link to a post, thread or forum section on the shavemyface forums the link starts loading in a new tab, but it also loads in the current tab, defeating the purpose of tabbed browsing. I assume this is a feature of the forums software, and can probably be disabled. Anyone browsing the old fashioned way without tabs wouldn't notice any difference. I of course may be wrong, and this might be something I can adjust in my own browser settings, if this is the case I'd love to know how.

Not a big thing I know, but anyone using tabbed browsing as it was intended will have noticed this problem, and if it's a simple fix it would be appreciated.

Ok, that's my beef, if you've read my entire post, thank you for your patience, lol.
Robert
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Just for the record, I don't have that problem and I use Firefox and tabbed browing extensively too. A lovely feature.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I have noticed the same, using Camino on Mac OS X.
Command-click a thread to open in a new tab, and the thread open in the current tab as well.

Its very annoying, and I would be happy if the webmaster fix this.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Ok, I have that problem when I do a ctrl + click on a thread, but not when I use the wheel button of my mouse, which I always do.
DrRoboto

Post by DrRoboto »

It only occurs with links to other parts of the forum in the main listing on the left side of the page. I've included a picture.

I've duplicated the issue on computers other then mine, and have noticed it since I started lurking the forum quite awhile ago.

-------------------------------------

Robert
bluesbro1982

Post by bluesbro1982 »

Same problem here. As I have a mac laptop with (usually) no mouse, ctrl-click (well, cmd-click) is my only option, and YES it is annoying. Is this a bug or a feature? If it is a feature, can we turn it off somewhere?
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Wow...I just read this post for the first time today. I had no idea this was happening and I'm sorry for not catching it sooner.

I will look into this immediately and post a response as soon as I figure out what is causing this behavior.

Thanks,
Vince
:::Vince:::
Occam

Post by Occam »

Another Mac user here and I have the same problem.

I now right click and choose to open in another tab... and yes it occurs in some other forums too.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
bluesbro1982

Post by bluesbro1982 »

It occurs in a few other forums, but not all. At Badger & Blade, cmd-click or right click works correctly, FWIW. I think they use a different version of vBulletin or phpBB...