picking at nits

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
growler

picking at nits

Post by growler »

Sometimes folks post URLs that are incredibly long. As a result, everything in that particular thread expands horizontally, meaning on a small monitor like mine you have to scroll left to right and back again to read responses. Which is a pain in the neck.

I'd like to ask if we could maybe all use tinyurl (tinyurl.com). You can enter a big fat hairy URL and end up with one that is short, to the point, and doesn't expire.
p_man

Post by p_man »

Copy the URL you want and go to tinyurl. Paste into the text box and hit the button. If you're using IE, the tiny version is now in the clipboard. If you're using a real man's browser (anything but IE), you can copy the tiny version and paste it wherever needed.

(As an aside, you can spend a couple amusing minutes playing around trying to hit other tinyurls to see what else people have been linking to. Just replace one or two of the characters and see what - if anything - comes up.)

But why are people even displaying URLs? Let's also encourage folks to use the URL tags here to provide nice links.....

Dave C
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Dave,

Can you provide a quick tutorial on how to use the URL tags? I'm no dummy, but I can't get them to work properly for me. I wind up with the same exended length URL expcept it is now surrounded with URL tags.

Thanks in advance.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
p_man

Post by p_man »

For the url tags, the format is

text you want displayed here.

In the complete URL, include the opening http, colon, slash-slash.

Dave C