Permalink to individual posts?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Permalink to individual posts?

Post by drmoss_ca »

I would find it a great help when linking to a post to be able to do so right to the post, rather than the thread in which it resides. At present, the only way I can find to do this is to find the thread, see who made the post, look at all posts from that poster in his profile, then find that particular post in the pages of posts he has made, and copy the link to the correct post (it has a unique post number that identifies it in the URL).
Some forums have a 'permalink' to an individual post that allows the post to be linked rather than a link to such and such a thread and look half way down page four, which is awkward and inelegant.
Would anyone else like me to ask Vince about implementing this (if possible) here?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Scrapyard Ape

Re: Permalink to individual posts?

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

drmoss_ca wrote: Would anyone else like me to ask Vince about implementing this (if possible) here?
Yes, please.

I don't know if phpBB offers such a feature, but it sure would be nice to have.
~Greg
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Yes, we have it. Here's a link directly to my response to a guy who started a thread.

You get it by clicking the little document icon just to the left of "Posted" and the date and time of the post. For example:
[icon] Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Here's what it looks like---this is the link directly to this post:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 617#308617
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Why, thank you kindly! I hadn't noticed that. For others - you control-click (Mac) or right click (Windows) on the little document icon to the left of the line saying when the post was made above the body of the post, and select Copy Link.
Well spotted!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Hah! I didn't know about (I'm Windows) right-click, copy-link. Many thanks! I've just been clicking and copying by hand.