RSS Feed

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Mindflux

RSS Feed

Post by Mindflux »

Would it be possible to add an RSS feed to SMF? I know that vBulletin has a number of easy to install php scripts to scrape RSS. I read a lot of forums at work and I try to do it discreetly through RSS. Coming to a forum with a big banner and flashy colors doesn't bode well with the bosses.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Re: RSS Feed

Post by guenron »

Mindflux wrote:Would it be possible to add an RSS feed to SMF? I know that vBulletin has a number of easy to install php scripts to scrape RSS. I read a lot of forums at work and I try to do it discreetly through RSS. Coming to a forum with a big banner and flashy colors doesn't bode well with the bosses.
Hehehe.. Need to reorient that monitor! :wink:
Y'know, that's really a great idea. Could be on a forum by forum basis...
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

For the time being, SMF will not go the route of using RSS. It is a great feature and technology BUT as we grow I feel it is more important to actually have users hitting the website. RSS would basically eliminate the need to visit shavemyface.com. Well...that might be exagerating a bit but overall demand for such a feature is low and I don't see a great benefit at this point.

Vince
:::Vince:::
Mindflux

Post by Mindflux »

VinceFX wrote:For the time being, SMF will not go the route of using RSS. It is a great feature and technology BUT as we grow I feel it is more important to actually have users hitting the website. RSS would basically eliminate the need to visit shavemyface.com. Well...that might be exagerating a bit but overall demand for such a feature is low and I don't see a great benefit at this point.

Vince
You cannot reply via RSS. I think if the users still want to be interactive, RSS will not impact the board in a negative way.

If you are worried about ad hits or something, you can inject ads into RSS now.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I am not a computer person, so I will have to ask.

What is RSS?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

AACJ wrote:I am not a computer person, so I will have to ask.

What is RSS?
I believe the acronym means "Really Simple Subscription." It is a technique for flowing information to a "subscribers" RSS-enabled web browser or RSS application. Perhaps a simple example will make it simpler. The new Mozilla web browser (v1.06) comes with an RSS tool built on. This tool is already "subscribed to" the BBC World News. If you click on the tool icon, you get a drop-down list with all of the latest headlines as clickable entries. Click on the entry and you get the web page with the entire story. That is just one implementation Art. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Ron,
Thanks for the explanation, I honestly wasn't sure what it was either.
John P.
Mindflux

Post by Mindflux »

Bumping this back up after a full year in the depths of nowhere.

I know the official answer was 'no', but with other shave geek sites offering RSS I'm afraid that SMF will fade into obscurity for me. Rather than go through and have to search for new topics at each site I simply scrape the sites I am interested in for new topics. If they provide what I'm looking for I'll gladly chime in.

Just a thought...
singapura

Post by singapura »

A few years later I would again request an RSS feed. I tend to forget about fora that don't have a feed on my iGoogle page. B&B and TSD both have RSS feeds so why not this forum? I bet you get a lot more visits that way.
giammi

Post by giammi »

singapura wrote:A few years later I would again request an RSS feed. I tend to forget about fora that don't have a feed on my iGoogle page. B&B and TSD both have RSS feeds so why not this forum? I bet you get a lot more visits that way.
I would like to subscribe to the request to have a RSS feed.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Every September (except 2007) this thread gets bumped? Is September RSS month?
Richard
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

Would like to bump this thread again. Is there still a particular reason why SMF isnt RSS enabled?
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

As you may have noticed, we have had a number of technical difficulties recently. The owner of SMF, Vince, is a busy individual and is only here rarely. As a result, maintenance of this forum has been spotty. One of the moderators who has more experience with server software that most of us is about to start performing maintenance, hopefully, on a more regular basis. Once that has started happening, we might then be able to look at adding features such as an RSS feed.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

=D> Right on, thank you!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Just like wet shaving, our forum isn't state-of-the-art (and doesn't have to be), but the quality of posts and the people makes this place the best shaving forum on the net. I like this forum software for the simplicity and cleanliness. Other forums seem to be suffering from bloatware overkill with seemingly every option package of trinket add-ons installed and dozens of non-shaving related sub forums that makes it confusing to navigate.
Richard
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

guenron wrote:
AACJ wrote:I am not a computer person, so I will have to ask.

What is RSS?
I believe the acronym means "Really Simple Subscription." It is a technique for flowing information to a "subscribers" RSS-enabled web browser or RSS application. Perhaps a simple example will make it simpler. The new Mozilla web browser (v1.06) comes with an RSS tool built on. This tool is already "subscribed to" the BBC World News. If you click on the tool icon, you get a drop-down list with all of the latest headlines as clickable entries. Click on the entry and you get the web page with the entire story. That is just one implementation Art. Hope that helps.
I also didn't know what RSS stood for or what it is. I have RSS in my email choices but have never used it. Is it just for news headlines? If it's news why would it be a good feature for forum readers?
Sue
giammi

Post by giammi »

Sue wrote: If it's news why would it be a good feature for forum readers?
Sue
It is not only for news. You can use RSS for any blogs, news. forums etc.

With a RSS application you would subscribe to a feed and the application checks
regularly for some updates.

This way you can use one application for all your news,
forum updates etc. and don't have to change from one website to the other one to read
the last news.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Remember though, you only get a little snippet of the last few posted articles. More importantly for us, the only income SMF gets is from people visiting the site and clicking on the Google ads.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

drmoss_ca wrote: More importantly for us, the only income SMF gets is from people visiting the site and clicking on the Google ads.

Chris
This would seem a good point to again raise the issue of voluntary donations to SMF. With the number and quality of members we have and their loyalty to the site we could easily afford whatever we want/need and it seems patently unfair for Vince to have to foot the bill alone for something we all enjoy so much

Also, Chris Have the women returned to Tatamagouche?
Regards,
Al
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

hookem11 wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote: More importantly for us, the only income SMF gets is from people visiting the site and clicking on the Google ads.

Chris
This would seem a good point to again raise the issue of voluntary donations to SMF. With the number and quality of members we have and their loyalty to the site we could easily afford whatever we want/need and it seems patently unfair for Vince to have to foot the bill alone for something we all enjoy so much

Also, Chris Have the women returned to Tatamagouche?
I would gladly send a voluntary donation. And I am sure there are many, many others that would also.