Replying to PMs on a BlackBerry?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Replying to PMs on a BlackBerry?

Post by Gareth »

This may not be possible through the forum software, but I thought I would ask anyway.

When I receive a PM, the system sends me an email informing me of the contents which I am able to read. This ultimately ends up coming through to my BlackBerry which, if I'm away from my computer, I will read it on. What would be fantastic would be to simply click reply (on my BlackBerry) and start typing a response, rather than having to wait to get back to a computer, log in and type from there.

Like I said, it may not be possible, but just a thought.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'd love to have the same feature - but my blackberry mail is tied to my IBM Notes account.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

My Blackberry runs thru my exchange server (which I control) -- and I can tell you the issue isn't on the blackberry side. The board software would need to be able to transfer the email to a PM, which I don't think is possible.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I believe there were some initial experiments into that realm, however it did not seem to work out well. It would be convenient, however, no disagreement from me.

John P.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I think if you open up the PM's to an email protocol, we'd all be swamped with spamming robots.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

I too experimented some, and could not get it to work. The PMs are managed in-house, so to say, by the forum software. Being that a BlackBerry can only feed off an exchange server or the standard internet protocols, I don't see how one could get it to work, barring such a feature being programmed onto the forum side.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

John 5 wrote:I too experimented some, and could not get it to work. The PMs are managed in-house, so to say, by the forum software. Being that a BlackBerry can only feed off an exchange server or the standard internet protocols, I don't see how one could get it to work, barring such a feature being programmed onto the forum side.
Ah well - I really didn't want to do this anyway. Not! :roll:
Wendell

Zach

Post by Zach »

Why not just browse to SMF.com on the Blackberry web browser, log in, and just reply to the PM via the web based form?

Am I stating the obvious?
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Zach - fair point but:

1) The browser on (my) BlackBerry Curve is very slow and very useless making this an extremely painful task. Sure it CAN be done, but it's really tedious.

2) The reason BlackBerry users have a BlackBerry is to be able to send and receive emails as if they were just simple text messages. That's why it would be great to get the PM email notification, click reply, type what we want to say and click send. That's how it would normally work with an email, but the PM system here on SMF doesn't seem to allow it in this case.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote:Zach - fair point but:

1) The browser on (my) BlackBerry Curve is very slow and very useless making this an extremely painful task. Sure it CAN be done, but it's really tedious.

2) The reason BlackBerry users have a BlackBerry is to be able to send and receive emails as if they were just simple text messages. That's why it would be great to get the PM email notification, click reply, type what we want to say and click send. That's how it would normally work with an email, but the PM system here on SMF doesn't seem to allow it in this case.
+1 on both comments.

I have had a 7130 and now own a Perl. While my bb email is IBM, I also run Yahoo-Go which is pretty slick. It would be cool to be able to reply to pms via that venue.
Wendell

Zach

Post by Zach »

This would have been my experience 5 years ago with the first generation of Blackberry with a built in browser, the models that replaced the pager sized, text only devices. They were useless for browsing. Today I have a Blackberry 8830 with service in NYC by Verizon; the browser is very fast and quite useful, I use it all the time, and responding to posts or PMs is no problem. Also I can use the device tethered to my laptop as a cellular modem, and get online with it wirelessly, again with good performance. The Enterprise class connected devices (the ones that connect to a corporate back end Blackberry Enterprise Server on the same network as the corporate Exchange or Notes servers) get online by using the office's Enterprise server as a proxy, they don't get to the Internet directly. Meaning, you make a request, the service provider conveys that to RIM, RIM requests the data from your corporate network, they get the data directly from the connection made by the Blackberry Enterprise Server, then that data is transferred back to you wirelessly. If you go to www.whatismyip.com on your Blackberry browser in this configuration, you'll be shown the IP of your office BES server, not Verizon, for example. This might slow things down for you as well.