Search funcion not working?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
soulshine

Search funcion not working?

Post by soulshine »

Maybe due to me using Firefox? I keep coming up with "zero results" when searching common items like "Penhaligon's"

s~s
corporalgator

Post by corporalgator »

I think it's a forum bug. I got results searching all, but not when searching specified forums.
dmikel

Post by dmikel »

I'm getting zero results too and I'm using IE.
Mikel
Wisdom and goodness to the vile seem vile;
Filths savour but themselves.
William Shakespeare
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I just searched on Proraso and got some hits. Good, OK. Then I searched on Penhaligon and got zero. Oops. Looked again and realized all my Proraso hits came from today only. Maybe a database went bad earlier today and needs to be restored from backup?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

It is being looked into by the powers above.
Richard
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

rustyblade wrote:It is being looked into by the powers above.
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

rustyblade wrote:It is being looked into by the powers above.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Ren & Dominic,

Those last two posts were excellent!

Regards,

Bill

P.S. I'll be the third person to confirm that the highest of powers is looking into this matter.
Don't think......shave.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I was thinking more along the lines of our chief web guy. That's the server SMF runs off, it probably explains some of the slow response time you may be experiencing. I'm guessing one of the dual 5 1/4" floppy drives is malfunctioning again. Every night the database is backed up onto hardcopy "dot matrix". Don't let his looks fool you, he's badass.
Richard
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Now that's funny....

John P.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

rustyblade wrote:Image

I was thinking more along the lines of our chief web guy. That's the server SMF runs off, it probably explains some of the slow response time you may be experiencing. I'm guessing one of the dual 5 1/4" floppy drives is malfunctioning again. Every night the database is backed up onto hardcopy "dot matrix". Don't let his looks fool you, he's badass.
I see you've taken up smoking again, Richard. I thought your mom said you'd have to move out of the basement if you did that.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

drmoss_ca wrote:I see you've taken up smoking again, Richard. I thought your mom said you'd have to move out of the basement if you did that.

Chris

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Blessings,
Michael
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hello everyone,

I've tried fixing the search feature but it seems our webhost is somehow working against me. I tried rebuilding all the search tables and was successful for awhile until the entire set of tables became "corrupt" again for some unknown reason.

Instead of trying the same thing over and banging my head against a wall, I've decided to give google search a try. You will see the google search box on the top left corner of our forum header. It's setup to only search shavemyface.com.

Please give that a try and let me know if this meets expectations. If I get too much negative feedback I will continue to work on fixing the forum search feature.

Vince
:::Vince:::
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Seems to work - you can enter a search term and a username to restrict the answers a little.

I'm quite sure, Vince, that an appeal for donations would enable SMF to move to a faster and more reliable host.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

drmoss_ca wrote:Seems to work - you can enter a search term and a username to restrict the answers a little.

I'm quite sure, Vince, that an appeal for donations would enable SMF to move to a faster and more reliable host.

Chris
While I might consider moving the website, I don't plan on asking for donations. I'll do some research on a new webhost when I get a chance. I'll keep you all posted.

Vince
:::Vince:::