Slow Login and Spam

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Ouchmychin

Slow Login and Spam

Post by Ouchmychin »

On my computer, clidking on any topic or forum or the index results in a long >1 minute wait. I sit there every time. Also on some threads I get what looks like a long list of news items to choose from unrelated to this site and the actual thread is more than half a page down. I wonder if a spamer is trying to tie the forum up? I am not having this at other sites so it is not a problem with the DSL line or computer.

Edit: I just went out and logged onto the Shopping forum. i got almost a full page of travel "bargains" that I assune I could click on and something terrible would happen. This need to be investigated. Is it on your site or is it some form of malware on my computer? I used Spy Sweeper to look for and quaranteen any malware but it still happens.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Hi Pete

I'm not getting anything like this. SMF looks normal here. Speed is maybe a hair slower than usual, but I assume that's on my end. Definitely no spam coming through. (Unless our admins have fixed whatever-it-was already!)
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The problem may be with msn. I just logged on with Firefox and didn't happen. And my login times run 10-12 seconds so far. about like normal. I'm having some other issues with msn as my isp service (who isn't). They may be under some form of attack. My home page has local movie listings except for the only theater in our fair city (Pasco, WA). Those appear occasionally after I write a criticism to msn but eventually they disappear again. They do list Spokane theaters which are 150 miles away. Figures
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

SMF is especially slow today. Clicking a link in SMF to a post or to a topic takes about 30 - 60 seconds to load. It has been noticeably slower this week.

A few times, I got "no posts in this topic" when clicking on SOTD to post.

I just figure it's due to whatever is being done to index the old messages.

This is in both Firefox and IE on Windows Vista and WinXP. No issues with other forums or websites.

And no ads. Don't know about that.

Edit:

When I posted the above reply, I got this error:

Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Someone has been messing with the connections again in the SMF server room.

Richard
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Hoos wrote:SMF is especially slow today. Clicking a link in SMF to a post or to a topic takes about 30 - 60 seconds to load. It has been noticeably slower this week.

A few times, I got "no posts in this topic" when clicking on SOTD to post.

I just figure it's due to whatever is being done to index the old messages.

This is in both Firefox and IE on Windows Vista and WinXP. No issues with other forums or websites.

And no ads. Don't know about that.

Edit:

When I posted the above reply, I got this error:

+1, but I only use Firefox on Vista.
Blessings,
Michael
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

rustyblade wrote:Someone has been messing with the connections again in the SMF server room.

Wow! That's way more organized than I expected! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I agree, it is disgracefully slow. The hosting company that serves SMF is often slow. However, our mighty leader likes them, and is unwilling to accept donations to pay for hosting elsewhere. Perhaps if the membership bombarded him with offers of cold, hard cash he might change his mind...

Chris
Not me, stupid, Vince...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

It's wirth two cents to me!
Ouch
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I could not get in from about 1:30am till just now, around 6:00am....EPT.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
JimR

Post by JimR »

I am having similar speed and error message problems using Vista on Firefox. Is there anything I can do to help with this?
I use Tabbed browsing--should I stop?
I'm just wondering, because I didn't notice this problem when I first started posting here, a couple of weeks ago.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

drmoss_ca wrote:I agree, it is disgracefully slow. The hosting company that serves SMF is often slow. However, our mighty leader likes them, and is unwilling to accept donations to pay for hosting elsewhere. Perhaps if the membership bombarded him with offers of cold, hard cash he might change his mind...

Chris
Not me, stupid, Vince...

I often wondered about this. So, SMF is owned and financed by Vince. Seems like a mighty nice fellow. How does one contact him to express appreciation, etc.?
Blessings,
Michael
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Michael,

Do a search in the member list and you will find Vince as the #1 member. You'll find a link to PM him. I know he would appreciate your kind words.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Gah, if the forum is in fact slow more often than not, I will start the painful process of researching a better webhosting provider.

Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Vince
:::Vince:::
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Vince, what ever you did, it's running a lot quicker now. Maybe it's just your presence gracing the forum.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

AACJ wrote:Vince, what ever you did, it's running a lot quicker now. Maybe it's just your presence gracing the forum.
LOL...I'm still tinkering with stuff. We're not out of the woods yet.

Honestly, I think we just have too many posts for the webhost that is currently powering the site. I might have to prune some posts soon. Time will tell.

Vince
:::Vince:::
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My main concern is the strange lists of ads for stuff like travel bargains that I get when I click on some forums before the actual threads appear. The last time I went to the sale or trade forum I got a list of junk that was 90 % of the first page. Below that I got the regular forum. The funny thing is the ads are all monochrome black whereas the regular forum stuff has its usual shades of blue.
Ouch
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Ouchmychin wrote:My main concern is the strange lists of ads for stuff like travel bargains that I get when I click on some forums before the actual threads appear.
I'm pretty clueless about this type of stuff, but are you running Explorer on Windows? Have you tried something else?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am running msn on windows XP home. I believe msn is using explorer. I have tried firefox and so far haven't had the spam with that. However I reset the spam blocker and privacy to the highest possible and I did a Spysweeper sweep and checked all files for a virus with Avast, all to no avail. I haven't used firefox long enough to be sure it isn't really happening there. If it is in my computer I don't know what else to do unless it's, God forbid, REBOOT.
Ouchmychin