SpyFu?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
TorzJohnson

SpyFu?

Post by TorzJohnson »

When I access SMF from my work PC, the url leads to a site called SpyFu. When I do it from home, I don't see it - but I use Firefox at home. Hmmm, what is SpyFu? Well, a look at SpyFu.com displays a neat header that says:

"Spy on your online competitors" and "Download competitors keywords and adwords".

Since the search function is pretty much kaput, I can't see if this has been addressed or not. A quick scan of the feedback forum doesn't show anything. I'm just curious as to what's going on. :?:
Jim

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sounds like the DNS Changer trojan.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

drmoss_ca wrote:Sounds like the DNS Changer trojan.

Chris
Maybe, but no site except SMF gets this redirection. I forgot to mention that I normally just click my bookmark for SMF, but at work I don't have it bookmarked and I use Google.

I just tried it here at home, same thing. It only happens when you Google SMF and use either Google Search or I'm Feeling Lucky.

Some kind of shenanigans are going on, perhaps?
Jim

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Don’t do it by Google - just type it into the address bar. You don’t need to search for a site when you know the address already.

If you read the Google search results, it tells you right there that it’s giving you a link to spyfu - so don’t click on that link. What’s happening is simply that spyfu comes up when you search on our name - the same way that if your name accidentally matched that of a famous person, whenever somebody searched for you on the web they'd find the famous person instead.
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

Well, I don't normally do it by Google, I just happened to notice it when I did it.

Noobs who are just getting into wet shaving may come to SMF that way. And having a website that spys on SMF google traffic on behalf of some unnamed competitor seemed like something I should mention.

Oh well, if SMF ain't worried about it, I guess I shouldn't worry about it either.
Jim

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I just did a google search for shavemyface, and the spyfu link was the last one on the first page. The first link was to Corey's blog, from way back.

This has changed, because a few times in the past I've done the same search on google and the first link has been an actual SMF page.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Jim,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Something is definitely amiss here with the Google search function.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Jukkie

Post by Jukkie »

For a search of "shavemyface"

SpyFu appeared on the middle of page 4

"bronnley usa
6. shavemyface.com · shavemyface.com :: View topic - Bronnley is great | view site >> The US Importer of Bronnley is Wilkes Group. ... A few months ago, ...
3w.spyfu.com/Term.aspx?t=225608 - 90k - Cached - Similar pages"

Found THIS on the bottom of page 13

"eXTReMe Tracking
418, 0.56%, ht://3w.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php. 417, 0.56%, http:// pub9.bravenet.com/faq/show.php ...
extremetracking.com/open;ref2?tag=agacons - 57k - Cached - Similar pages"

shavemyface.com did not turn up within any of the 23 pages of search results. However, there were TONS of websites referencing shavemyface.com.

I searched "shavemyface.com" although didn't browse ALL the pages, however, I get the feeling that our website no longer turns up in google.

I did a search for "www.shavemyface.com" and SpyFu was the first result on the first page.

shavemyface.com
Stats For: shavemyface.com view site >>. Daily Ad Budget: N/A, Avg. ... 3w. shavemyface.com (108) · shavemyface.com. Other Domains Owned (26) ...
3w.spyfu.com/Domain.aspx?d=-40661695899825258 - 111k - Cached - Similar pages

EDIT: I didn't mean to link anything, don't click it, those are copy and pasted from the google search, I'll fix it, I gotta go to an appointment right now though. I'll take care of it when I'm back.

There ya go... "3w" means "www" and "ht" is "http". Hopefully that stops anyone from accidentally following one of those links and getting something installed, etc.