Still Cursed With Spam on Some SMF Forums

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Ouchmychin

Still Cursed With Spam on Some SMF Forums

Post by Ouchmychin »

After a month or so, I am still getting a long ad with many lines of sale offers, mostly travel related, on this forum and on the Selling forum. I haven't been able to find anything on my computer that is doing this. I'm wondering if it is only me or are others experiencing this. I don't want to format and reinstall everything just to cope with this. This is the only site I visit where this is happening.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I haven't seen this directly, but have seen evidence of it through Google searches (back when that worked!), and I don't believe it's your computer.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am coming directly to the site without a Google search. The ads stay on the same forums every time.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Ouchmychin wrote:I am coming directly to the site without a Google search. The ads stay on the same forums every time.
I haven’t seen it with my own eyes, but I believe you’re correct.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

If you would like to see it too, I can copy the top of my page coming into this forum and attach it to my next post.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I’m not an admin so I can’t do anything, but I think you should post a picture of what you’re getting.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There should be just a small box at the top right of the window with a Google ad in it. If this hasn't formatted correctly I would expect it to be a browser problem.
The only spam we get is from a few bots and even more rarely human sources that make posts and these get deleted as soon as an eagle-eyed moderator spots them.
Do show us a screenshot, and try a different browser.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I've noticed this site no longer comes up on a Google search. Or is it just the UK?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I get zero results when searching this site, whether from google.com or from the Google search box. The old search form works, sort of.
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

PeterS wrote:I've noticed this site no longer comes up on a Google search. Or is it just the UK?
See my "SpyFu" thread here in Feedback.
Jim