Forum

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Whistler

Forum

Post by Whistler »

Last night I was receiving the same error message "critical database error" when the forums went down over the holiday, also very slow load times and no access (3-6 hours) sporadically. One other thing I notice is my username and password is lost when there is a failed attempt to join the forum, lately this is happening on a daily basis.

Thank You
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Whenever the hosting server goes down you will have to re-login at your next visit. We definitely need a better hosting service, but as a free site don't have the resources to buy the best.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

drmoss_ca wrote:Whenever the hosting server goes down you will have to re-login at your next visit. We definitely need a better hosting service, but as a free site don't have the resources to buy the best.

Chris
who do you guys host with?
-- Ben
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Agreed Chris, just trying to give a heads-up if something is on it's way down.
Regards,
Marty

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Slartibartfast wrote:who do you guys host with?
Vince.

Ren :wink:
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Might I humbly suggest that a means for contributing to the upkeep of the site be established? This would help offset the costs of the server. We do this over at FPN and it works nicely. Contributing or not contributing makes NO difference in your membership. It's just one way to help support the site and would enable the acquisition of a better server.

[To be sure I'm not misunderstood, I greatly appreciated SMF as a wonderful, gentleman's community. It's because it's such a wonderful place that makes it tough when the server is acting up. As a Mod on FPN, I have some idea of what goes on behind the scenes and know it takes a lot of work to keep things going. I am very grateful to our Admins and Mods for the wonderful work they do. Furthermore, Vince's graciously providing SMF for us is just over the top - MANY THANKS! I just don't like to think of one person carrying the burden for providing for such a wonderful place. We all benefit, so we should all have the opportunity to help support it. Just my $0.000000000000001.]
Blessings,
Michael
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Michael, thank you for your post. May I get you to PM me and maybe I can take this to the other moderators for discussion? Vince, since the inception of this forum, has never asked a penny and has always insisted that he pay for it when even some of us asked to help offset the costs. We had thought of it as a club and he was like the guy that had the nice house and just wanted everyone to come over and hang out. But given that we are exceeding our expectation, the model of FPN you set out might be a great idea. Basenotes is the same way, some people contribute, some don't. Excess funds in a year could be used to prepay I guess, and we could discuss a charity if it was too successful.

Likewise, things have happened since this plan started, and people have moved, and families started. Anyway, I am always thankful that we are an understanding group when the forum has been down, and maybe we do need a new server or host.

Sam
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

I am totally in agreement with Michael. I am sure we all appreciate this community, which Vince has given us, enough to voluntarily contribute to its upkeep. Sam, please keep us apprised of any developments
Regards,
Al
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

As an admin on another forum, I have found that once people contribute to the forum fund they feel they are owed something. Like the saying goes "when in command, command" there is only room for one at the top and once people start donating? It becomes a problem.
Regards,
Marty

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Marty, that is why I want to talk privately with Michael. I also am at FPN and I dont get the impression that is the case at all. I think the contributions are low-key and anonymous, and it has more members than we do. Dustups seem so infrequent and I like how they runs things. Seems as though that group and ours is sympatico, maybe in appreciation of an art and artform that may not be used by the masses, but is still every bit as satisfying and functional as it ever was.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

PM sent, Sam.

Let me just say over on FPN it is clear that contributing entitles you to absolutely nothing. :lol: :wink: You do it just because you want to help support the community. From time to time some folks even have benefit sales, with a certain percentage going to support the site.

Of course, then FPN also has it's own limited edition inks which contribute to the support of the site also.
Blessings,
Michael