iPhone and SMF

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
i_shaved_something

iPhone and SMF

Post by i_shaved_something »

I haven't been posting much recently but still check SMF all the time via my iPhone, which use more than my PC these days. Love the iPhone, but certain issues I have specifically with SMF only:

-I'm a big fan of checking 'View posts since last visit' link. On PC, if I check that link, then click an unread link and read it, then go back to 'View posts since last visit', it shows me the previous list, so I can keep checking all the new posts, plus any new ones that come in, and keep going back and forth no problem. On iPhone, I can only view one post, then if I go back or click 'View posts since last visit' again, I get the 'no topics or posts met your search criteria' message, even though I never read the other new posts since last visit.
I have cookies enabled, and only seems to happen on this forum, not others I visit.

-A less nagging issue, when I reply to a thread or send PM via iPhone, I keep getting a 'invalid session' message. After submitting a few more times, it usually goes through. So not major issue but kind of a pain.

Anyone else using iPhone to surf SMF, is iPhone/Safari considered 'supported' here?
Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else having same issues, or if there's a workaround or setting I'm missing I'd love to know!
Can also provide any other details/screenshots if needed if interested...

Thanks!
Rob
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sounds like the version of Safari on the iPhone doesn't use a cache, but requests the page anew when you go back to it. I have used an iPod Touch very happily for looking at SMF when away, but I don't use the Posts Since You Last Visited button so I hadn't noticed that. Sadly, Rogers have no service where I live so I can't have an iPhone, which is a shame as MobileMe syncing has worked perfectly for me between the web, my MacBookPro and the iPod Touch.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

It's a phpBB problem. It affects a few forums I visit.
owenm

Post by owenm »

I use the site by iPhone all the time. I do not see the issue with the search not refreshing on going back. I have set it up with a bookmark to the search page (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/search ... d=newposts) which works for me unless I go from phone to wifi connectivity.
Cheers,
Owen
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm patiently waiting until the current technology is forced upon me, casually enjoying my older model cell phone, to use the archaic description, until (a) my old cell croaks, or (b) my lovely wife and daughter simply take matters into their own hands and force it onto me. A Samsung Behold is what I want. Whether that is a blackberry or an iphone or a tin can with a string in the bottom, is not something I've found necessary to know, but that's what I want, at least right now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

all i want is a phone that works in my kitchen!! :lol:

clive

p.s. took a peek at that samsung...looks very pretty
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.p.s today's most popular story in the NYT

Customers Angered as iPhones Overload AT&T