review format

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
gil3591

review format

Post by gil3591 »

guys, is there a way on this forum to have product reviews such as the ones on B&B? with the wealth of knowledge amongst our members i think it would be beneficial. i've found squire's blade reviews to be right on along with opinions i've received from members regarding brushes, soaps/creams. if we could expand on the way members give opinions on products i think it would do wonders for us all.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Nate

Post by Nate »

I second that motion. Although I am not familiar of B&B but I am familiar with Squire's blade reviews.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, That format, the one used at times on B&B, started here, and if you can access some of the earliest months of our existance you will see some. However, it was not continued over time, and I have to assume that there was some reason for that. I'm not trying to be negative about this, although I do know that some have voiced a preferance for our less structured approach to these matters.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It might be a good time to reconsider this option.

We have over 6000 members on the books and a huge archive. Looking for information about products via the Search function is extremely tedious and results in new threads trying to obtain such information.

If there were a forum for reviews, it would be easy to find the product evaluations and add to them or ask for updates.

In my own case, I put a fair amount of effort into writing a review of the Semogue silvertip brushes. The thread has been getting constant hits, but it is about to disappear from the page and most will no longer know that it is available. I would assume that most reviews done in the past are now out of sight and out of mind.

I don't know how they do it at B&B, but I would really like to see product reviews organized here in a manner that would keep them readily available.

- Murray
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I volunteer to be the review moderator. I too think this is a good idea. I've been here for almost 4 years and sometimes find the 'search' feature a tad tedious on occasion.
Contributing Member to the Cause
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I strongly support the idea of a review section. To me, it just makes sense to have a central repository of opinions about different products.

I also don't think it would detract from the forum discussions, but would store information in an easily retrievable way. I think people would still ask questions, share experiences, etc on the forum. But, when looking for a range of opinions on a certain product, the review section would be a great starting point.

But, honestly guys, shouldn't we feel bad about taking on B&B in the only category in which they out-shine SMF??!!!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

BeatlesFan wrote:I strongly support the idea of a review section. To me, it just makes sense to have a central repository of opinions about different products.

I also don't think it would detract from the forum discussions, but would store information in an easily retrievable way. I think people would still ask questions, share experiences, etc on the forum. But, when looking for a range of opinions on a certain product, the review section would be a great starting point.

But, honestly guys, shouldn't we feel bad about taking on B&B in the only category in which they out-shine SMF??!!!
the reviews on B&B are only as good as the fellows writing them. not to take anything away from them but i have found i frequently disagree with the findings on their reviews. i think the difference on this forum would be reflected by the vast experience and therfore legitimacy (maybe too strong a term) of the impressions in the reviews. i also think the reviews would negate the need for repetative topics. i don't want to sound negative or bored or anything else one may call it but how many times does a newbie post a thread, ( what's the sharpest blade?) or (what's the best razor?) only to get the same answers from us. i certainly don't want to be critical of anyone for asking or the effort taken by taking the time and patience to answer the questions.
Last edited by gil3591 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i don't see any harm in having a product review section. if someone chooses to use it, great but you don't have to look at it if you're not interested. so what's the process involved to get this accomplished? who makes the decision to have a new category on smf? we already have a volunteer to be a moderator. i'm a shave geek not a computer geek so i have no idea how this stuff works :oops:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, Vince would ultimately have to make that decision, and it would also be he who would have to physically create any new forum/mode. Vince exists in some sort of mysterious limbo or alternate dimension somewhere in Southern California ( chuckle )....and the arcane skills needed to make connection with him are known but to a few. I'm going to move this thead to the Forum Feedback section where it may be more likely that the admins. might see it.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It wouldn't be hard to make a Review Forum, but it would work just the same as any other forum in terms of posts and replies. It would be subject to the same awkward search function. Unless you are happy to post reviews there from now on, and leave past ones where they are, someone would have to go through all the old posts and move reviews into that forum, which will then be so full that it would be hard to find things! Such a person would have to be dedicated and have lots of free time. By the way, this place is powered by the free phpBB, not the expensive vBulletin, but we are not-for-profit like some sites. It doesn't permit quite such fancy things to be done.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i would think you would have to start a review forum from scratch. it would be necessary to have a uniform criteria so all similar products would be judged equally. as B&B, i would like to see an over all score for the product.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Vince is in the Matrix last I heard.
Contributing Member to the Cause
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Seems to me that it's not really feasible to go back over old postings and try to move them to the review section (except for a few obvious ones, such as -- for example -- Squire's blade reviews).

Rather, I think we should start a Review Section on a "going forward" basis.

From that perspective, even though we wouldn't have our prior history all collated in that format, we'd at least start building a new reference source from here on out. In fact, I think it would spark a flurry of new interest and posting activity, and fairly quickly we'd have all sorts of new product rankings and ratings to discuss.

IMO, starting a "Review" section would be a real improvement to SMF and, as such, it deserves serious consideration.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

BeatlesFan wrote:Seems to me that it's not really feasible to go back over old postings and try to move them to the review section (except for a few obvious ones, such as -- for example -- Squire's blade reviews).

Rather, I think we should start a Review Section on a "going forward" basis.

From that perspective, even though we wouldn't have our prior history all collated in that format, we'd at least start building a new reference source from here on out. In fact, I think it would spark a flurry of new interest and posting activity, and fairly quickly we'd have all sorts of new product rankings and ratings to discuss.

IMO, starting a "Review" section would be a real improvement to SMF and, as such, it deserves serious consideration.
+1
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I just wanted to "BUMP" this posting, as IMO the addition of a Review section is a very worthwhile proposal that deserves discussion and consideration. I hope others will chime in and contribute additional views. Thank you.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll ask the mods to consider it.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Search function works for me.
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Squire, you are too funny! I'd have thought that you -- YOU of all people -- would favor a Review Section!! You have contributed more than almost anyone else to SMF with those AWESOME blade reviews (for which I'd like to commend and thank you). I'd just like to build on your terrific work, and see similar reviews for creams, soaps, razors, etc. etc., all assembled in a central source.

Chris, thank you for passing it along for consideration.

Squire, again, a big "shout out" of massive respect for your reviews, which I greatly enjoy and admire. You are the man . . .
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Bump.

I know we've had a crisis with the site going down, but I hope this idea won't just quietly die. I sincerely believe it would be a great addition to SMF. I respectfully urge that it be considered.

Thank you.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We did consider it, but came to a different conclusion. No one is going to go through 464,000 articles to move the reviews to a new forum. Even if we say that from this point forward all reviews shall be clumped together, there is the consideration that it makes sense for a review of a brush, for example, to be in the brushes forum. I would suggest that anyone who is worried about their posterity should place the word 'Review' somewhere in their title so it will show up in a Search quite easily.
Sorry if this disappoints, but we have found the current system to work quite well. No review is definitive, and many are a simple personal take on an item. It is OK in our view to let the old ones settle to the bottom where those interested in years to come can excavate them if desired.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace