Postings in the last 24hrs or some such?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
kaptain_zero

Postings in the last 24hrs or some such?

Post by kaptain_zero »

Just wondering if there would be be a way to add a button to search for posts made in the last 24 hrs or something like that. I sometimes log in and check for posts (lookng for a reply to something I've posted perhaps) but I don't have the time to read everything that's been posted at that time. The next time I log in, I have to go looking for those recent posts because the only ones I get are the ones that were POSTED since the last time I logged in which may have only been an hour or two before.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Sounds sortof cool,
I'll post this to the other mods/admins, see what they say.
John P.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

do what i do, which is go to the posts since last log in on the upper right, where the private messages await you (assuming you have logged in) and use that

sam
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Hi Sam,
do what i do, which is go to the posts since last log in on the upper right, where the private messages await you (assuming you have logged in) and use that
Yes, I do that but if I don't have the time to read all the new posts and log off, the next time I log on, I don't get the ones that I've not read from the last time.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

kaptain_zero wrote:Yes, I do that but if I don't have the time to read all the new posts and log off, the next time I log on, I don't get the ones that I've not read from the last time.
I have the same problem because I get most of my e-mail via Yahoo.

What I would like better than a last 24 hours selection. Is one that would lt me markmessages in the "since last visit" screen or mark all unread in that screen.

I have occasional problems with responses not saving (a lockup), then I need to close SMF, and when I come back I've lost the"since last visit" screen.
Joe
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Is this request still on the table for consideration or has it been "shot down in flames"? :lol:
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Dunno.
Will repost this to the other mods/admins, though (the guys who know how to do that sortof stuff, if it can be done)
John P.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

We will likely not implement this feature. To generate a list of ALL posts made within the last 24 hours would probably put a bit too much strain on our web server and I don't want to go there just yet.

The other issue is that as this site grows and activity increases, such a feature would actually provide minimal value. What good is there in listing over 500 posts that might have been made within the span of 24 hours? In all likelihood it would be too much for a user to take in. I mean, all one has to do is click whichever forum they are interested in and look at the top posts. All the most recent posts are always listed at the top.

In the end, yes this might be a useful feature for some but I estimate it will go largely unused by the majority and therefore I cannot justify the work required to implement it at this time. We might revisit this down the road if we get a dedicated hosting solution put in place AND come up with a way to provide better "filtered views" rather than just a list of posts made within 24 hours. All doable but it will just take time for us to get there.

Vince
:::Vince:::
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I should add that at the bottom of each forum category, there is a pull down menu option that will allow you to only show the topics for that forum that were created in the past 1 day. I ask that you give that a try and see if it fulfills at least part of your needs. The only down sides are that you have to do it for each forum that you click on and I think it might be limited to the date the topic was created...I'm not 100% sure...feel free to do some testing and provide more feedback if you can.

Thanks,
Vince
:::Vince:::
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Thanks Vince,
I wasn't sure what it would have entailed, myself.
John P.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

VinceFX wrote:I should add that at the bottom of each forum category, there is a pull down menu option that will allow you to only show the topics for that forum that were created in the past 1 day. I ask that you give that a try and see if it fulfills at least part of your needs. The only down sides are that you have to do it for each forum that you click on and I think it might be limited to the date the topic was created...I'm not 100% sure...feel free to do some testing and provide more feedback if you can.

Thanks,
Vince
To add to what Vince just said, one advantage you have doing this is that in each forum, on the right side, it states when the last posting was. Topics such as Skincare and Haircare typically don't get a lot of postings, sometimes not any in the course of a few days (sorrry Bastida and Gramps), that will eliminate a few topics you DON'T need to view in the last 24 hours.

I use a combination of that and the "New posts since last logon" but on aol, it sometimes comes up with a "no searches matched your request." Then I go to what I just mentioned above.

Just my .02 cents.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
mikey

Post by mikey »

hello admins and mods,

i know that this is an old thread but i was going to ask this question anyhow and came across this thread. so here goes:

any chance of reconsidering. both the srp and bnb forums have this feature with the button titled "today's posts". i can't imagine that it would take up that much server time as bnb seems to have many more posts per day than smf although i can't really compare as this feature isn't implemented here.

also, it is somewhat of a chore to have to look in each forum separately to see what threads have been recently posted to. it is much easier to hit one button and have a reverse chronological list of recent posts.

finally, is it really that much work to set up a search script to filter the last 24 hours worth of posts.

i hope you will reconsider (maybe put it up to a vote to get more user input).

thanks,
mike
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Sorry Admins.... I'm with Mike AND myself on this one.... please!?!?!

Regards

Kaptain "searchless" Zero [-o<
cjc15153

An inauspicious beginning

Post by cjc15153 »

My first post is a suggestion. In truth +1ing this suggestion is the main reason I joined.

I'm not sure how intensive a query it is to check for posts less than 24 hours old, but it is likely less intensive to run a query for threads that have been updated in the past 24 hours.

As a frequent lurker I wanted to see where the action was, and I didn't really care if people were talking about soaps or brushes or scotch.

I know B&B has this feature and I think that like 90% of the web, both this and that site are running phpbb. This thread http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &start=900 discusses a module that I think will do the trick.

Thanks for providing the forum.
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

So what's wrong with what we have??????????? Waaaaaaaaa!
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Actually, now that I've registered there is less wrong, because I can use the "Posts since last visit" query (which surely is slightly more intensive than a simple last 24 hours query).

A blanket search for recently updated threads would be more lurker friendly and some % of lurkers become newbs, so I still think it would be a useful addition and even benefit people who never used it.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

The problem with "posts since last visit" is that if you log in, check one or two msgs but have to log out or simply don't have time to read the new posts, when you come back, the remaining posts are not shown if you refresh the "posts since last visit" to get the latest additions. That was why I had put the request in for a simple search script to show all posts in the last 24hrs, read or not...

However, I do believe we may be flogging the proverbial dead horse.... Or to quote my dad.... "You can lead a horse to water, and if you can get it to stand on it's head, you've got something to show for it.....". Ok, so that quote had nothing to do with what we're talking about, but at least I got it off my chest. :P

I actually like SRP's new post search... it will list new posts since last visit and will also list unread posts that have not been updated since ones last visit. On the other hand it does not show your replies in threads as unread new posts, something SMF does and which I do like.

Christian
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's a remedy if you use Firefox. Use the "View posts since last visit" link, then quickly open all the interesting posts in separate tabs. If you find you have to log off, just go to the Bookmarks menu and choose "Bookmark all tabs". Next time you get on your browser, just use that bookmark to open all those posts right where you were.

Not perfect, but I do use this quite a bit.
--Bob--