SMF Paypal Contributions

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
jpmac55

SMF Paypal Contributions

Post by jpmac55 »

One suggestion is acknowledging members that make Paypal contributions. Nothing fancy, maybe a simple thank you in a PM or email. :roll:
John
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Private acknowledgement is appropriate but I would truly hate to see SMF reduced to a system of "merit badges" based on monetary contributions. Contribute if you can, or not.
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'd be delighted to thank anyone who contributes, but I'm not involved in that side of it. The money goes to our owner, who makes up the difference himself between the contributions and the hosting fees - currently rather a large difference I might add!
Nonetheless, we are very grateful for any and all help that will keep us going. We can't be as fancy as some when we don't take money from vendors, but at least we feel we have no worries about our unbiased views of products.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jpmac55

Post by jpmac55 »

Thanks, Chris - I know its sometimes awkward stepping in for someone else.

I also PM'ed the owner just to make sure he received my contribution but he never responded. Maybe I am showing my age but I still believe in manners.

Happy to help out but I'd have to think about ever contributing again.
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well let me thank you instead if Vince. He doesn't take any part in the running of the site, but prefers to keep ownership and is willing to pay for the privilege. An odd arrangement but it sort of works. He filters his mail so that the many site generated e-mails aren't seen by him, so he won't even know there is a PM. I have difficulty getting through to him by e-mail and find I can snag him on AIM when I need to do so. As for having to think about contributing again, I suppose the thing you have to think about is whether you contribute in order to be thanked, or whether the contribution itself is a thank you for the site. Whichever it is - we thank you!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

Can I send a bunch of money to Mr. Anonymous for my own sub forum ?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No you may not! It seems that some forums charge vendors to belong, but we don't want to have a financial relationship with vendors. We know some great guys (and ladies) on that side of the business, but to be beholden to them would make suspect whatever the site says about their wares. It must be even more difficult for those forums that are run by vendors to keep an arm's length between the owner and the reviews.
You are welcome to donate if you wish, but this is voluntary. I won't know if you do, unless you tell me, and in that case I will thank you. But it won't give you any privileges beyond those of our other members, it just helps prevent the site disappearing one day when there is no money to pay the bills.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

jpmac55 wrote:Thanks, Chris - I know its sometimes awkward stepping in for someone else.

I also PM'ed the owner just to make sure he received my contribution but he never responded. Maybe I am showing my age but I still believe in manners.

Proper "manners" would be to not publicly dredge for recognition once you contribute... just my opinion.

I'm sure the Mods/Admins/Owners appreciate your contribution. I personally have a problem with how you've conducted your broadcast of "HEY LOOK AT ME I GAVE MONEY!"

Some people require external validation. Others don't.
Jason

Post by paddy »

on a slightly different, but related point, how much is considered an 'appropriate' contribution to make?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Whatever you can!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jpmac55

Post by jpmac55 »

Baloosh wrote:
jpmac55 wrote:Thanks, Chris - I know its sometimes awkward stepping in for someone else.

Proper "manners" would be to not publicly dredge for recognition once you contribute... just my opinion.

I'm sure the Mods/Admins/Owners appreciate your contribution. I personally have a problem with how you've conducted your broadcast of "HEY LOOK AT ME I GAVE MONEY!"

Some people require external validation. Others don't.
I respect your opinion but perhaps you are judging me for something I did not do wrong, the owner did.

When someone says "God bless you" after a sneeze, I say thank you. When someone holds the door or gives me a gift, I say thank you.

When someone accepts a "private" donation, I wonder why they don't acknowledge it privately or otherwise. A simple "I got it, thanks" would do.

Imagine if you sent a stranger like me a gift, wouldn't you be more satisfied if I acknowledged rather than ignore it? So contrary to what you think, rather than make a big deal of it, I sent a "Private" Message (PM) to the owner and guess what? Still no reply let alone a thank you.

Assuming you are following this so far, where am I saying "HEY LOOK AT ME I GAVE MONEY?" I even posted my original message in the Forum Feedback rather than the more popular forums as a simple suggestion.

Incidently, if you click on Shave My Face web site, PayPal contributions is the very first thing Vince the Owner has on his home page. Now we learn he has email and private messages blocked. Perhaps my second forum improvement suggestion is to answer those PM's and emails or state right up front that Vince the Owner ain't getting back to you.

Perhaps the best way to appreciate the way I feel is to contribute yourself. Maybe you'd agree with me that any validation is nicer than nothing at all.
John
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

jpmac55 wrote: I respect your opinion but perhaps you are judging me for something I did not do wrong, the owner did.

When someone says "God bless you" after a sneeze, I say thank you. When someone holds the door or gives me a gift, I say thank you.

When someone accepts a "private" donation, I wonder why they don't acknowledge it privately or otherwise. A simple "I got it, thanks" would do.

Imagine if you sent a stranger like me a gift, wouldn't you be more satisfied if I acknowledged rather than ignore it? So contrary to what you think, rather than make a big deal of it, I sent a "Private" Message (PM) to the owner and guess what? Still no reply let alone a thank you.

Assuming you are following this so far, where am I saying "HEY LOOK AT ME I GAVE MONEY?" I even posted my original message in the Forum Feedback rather than the more popular forums as a simple suggestion.

Incidently, if you click on Shave My Face web site, PayPal contributions is the very first thing Vince the Owner has on his home page. Now we learn he has email and private messages blocked. Perhaps my second forum improvement suggestion is to answer those PM's and emails or state right up front that Vince the Owner ain't getting back to you.

Perhaps the best way to appreciate the way I feel is to contribute yourself. Maybe you'd agree with me that any validation is nicer than nothing at all.
There mere fact that you started the thread at all is my indication that you prefer to broadcast your contribution, rather than taking solace in the simple fact that you contributed, with no thought of reciprocation.

You and I simply have a difference of opinion on this particular behavior. That's ok. You are entitled to be wrong, just as I am -- all depends on whom you ask. :wink:

I would not agree that any validation (we're talking about external, correct?) is better than none at all. But of course, qualifying that statement as such: subordinates need to be praised amongst peers for going above and beyond. A simply hobbyist website, however, to me does not qualify.

And you assume a lot. What makes you think I haven't already contributed? I just decide not to harp about it and make jabs at the owner/admin because I didn't get an "ATTABOY!"

But if it makes you feel better -- ATTABOY! :D
Jason

Post by drmoss_ca »

It probably won't be productive to continue this debate...

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Chris -- agreed. My apologies for steering this thread towards a combative nature. I'll bow out of this one.
Jason

Post by paddy »

My apologies for steering this thread towards a combative nature. I'll bow out of this one.
as my mother would say, "if you were sorry you wouldn't have done it". no need.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jpmac55

Post by jpmac55 »

Sorry for the disruptive turn this took.

The reason for posting in "forum feedback" was meant to be constructive. Some of us have less disposable income these days and I happen to think all the contributors deserve a simple & private thank you. I never was looking for public recognition for a modest contribution. When I didn't hear back from the owner privately or otherwise, I should have just let it go. Instead, I posted something but its intent took a nose dive.

What should have been the lead story was I contributed because I dig the site and wanted to help.

Anyway, I'll bow out, too.
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John and Jason, I appreciate you handling this like gentlemen. I assure you that Vince's unavailability can be a vexation to us mods. and admins. as well. However, I try and temper my annoyance when it comes up by remembering that he has single handedly bankrolled this forum from day one, and for that I'm grateful. Not being in a position to be all that helpful financially I am also grateful to those members who can and do help.
Regards,
Gordon
SRD

Post by SRD »

jpmac55 wrote:Sorry for the disruptive turn this took.

The reason for posting in "forum feedback" was meant to be constructive. Some of us have less disposable income these days and I happen to think all the contributors deserve a simple & private thank you. I never was looking for public recognition for a modest contribution. When I didn't hear back from the owner privately or otherwise, I should have just let it go. Instead, I posted something but its intent took a nose dive.

What should have been the lead story was I contributed because I dig the site and wanted to help.

Anyway, I'll bow out, too.
=D> Good job mate.
Dave
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hello everyone. I apologize for the extremely delayed response. I absolutely agree with the feedback voiced within this thread and I just want to say sorry for not being able to address this sooner. I did want to acknowledge donors but became overwhelmed with more pressing personal issues and was unable to follow-up. I really do feel bad about neglecting this site and the members but I just didn't have the bandwidth to follow-up with everyone.

Please know that the contributions really do help with the upkeep of this site and the upgraded service that we purchased. I'll try to come up with a way to acknowledge contributors soon. I'll also be giving a summary of the funds/account to our mods/admin team soon.

For what it's worth I believe in transparency when it comes to things like this and I'll try to work something out so that whenever someone makes a donation, the community is made aware (or at the very least the mods/admins).

Thanks and I'll be in touch again soon.

Best regards,
Vince

:(
:::Vince:::
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

would consideration be made to the powers that be to have a "members only" type section for contributor's.

nothing secretive, or on the sly but something to ackowledge a contributor........just a thought!

and i'm still new around these parts, so i hope not to offend anyone with my suggestion!
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !