Not getting routine email notifications

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
brothers

Not getting routine email notifications

Post by brothers »

As of the last several days I have virtually stopped receiving regular SMF email notifications of posts to subscribed threads and private messages. Is this happening to others or just me. Vince! is that you? Cut it out buddy, I was just kidding!! Seriously, can someone check something in the software, please?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't been getting e-mail notification of private messages, either.

(I'm not set up for e-mail notification of anything else.)

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Seems to be working for me. Checked your spam filters?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I changed my email address for smf notifications and havent had a problem since.....its been about a month now

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmm - I have never used email notifications...... duh is me!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have formulated a strategy, an experiment, really. I'm going to go into my settings and deactivate that one option, then after a while I'll reactivate the email notification option and see if that might work kind of like a "reboot". Can't hurt.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

fallingwickets wrote:I changed my email address for smf notifications and havent had a problem since.....its been about a month now

clive
Remember that when you change your e-mail address in your profile you will inactivate your account. I then get an e-mail to tell me and go and re-activate you. That's how I know the creaky old works are still managing to send them!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Yikes! Sorry for the bother Chris. It took a while (becks induced lag) to realize email alerts were off their mark. I don't even know why I have them on in the first place....the dayz of checking in every 3 minutes to see if someone has discovered shaving nirvana is long over :lol: Anyway, thanks a million for your help and time and everything else you do here

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's no bother - I'm just reminding others that they might be temporarily locked out if they change address. It's only one click for me to fix as long as I recognise the username (yours was no problem!), but a bit more hassle if I don't, as I then have to check that some evil bot hasn't snuck in.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I didn't change my email address, but I did change my preference requesting email notifications of private messages and responses to threads I was watching, or had posted in. And, I only changed the preference after SMF had stopped sending me any emails at all. I left it off for a day or two, then went back in and changed the preferences back the way they've always been. I still get nothing, no matter which preference I've marked. What can I say. I did find the notifications of new PMs to be helpful, for obvious reasons.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gary,
Your profile is set to receive e-mail notifications of replies. I have unset and reset this. I hope you will receive them again, but if you do not, let us know with a reply to this thread. If this is an issue affecting all users, it must mean a problem with the forum's smtp server, which is beyond my control. At that point I have to try to contact the (nearly) mythical Vince.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm appreciative of your checking for me. Either way, working or not, it's a small thing, and I'll adjust. Already have, actually. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

druphus wrote:On Feb. 2, 2012: I have always had the following option selected within my pofile:

"Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post."

Recently, all notifications have stopped. Has anyone else experienced this recently?
drmoss_ca wrote:On Feb. 3, 2012: I didn't think it worked at all. This version of phpBB is out-dated and is no longer getting any maintenance updates. We were promised last July that our owner was upgrading SMF to the current version 'before the end of the week'.

Chris
I just now located this exchange that took place more than a year ago. I now realize I've been a spoiled brat to have even mentioned something that is past history. My apologies.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Someone has done something, because the notification function is now working again, as of about twelve hours ago. To the administrator and the moderators who knew how to take care of such things, thank you. I hope neither I nor any of our members will ever take what you guys do for us for granted. You're the backbone of SMF and I salute you for your efforts!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on gary's sentiments....you guys are the B.E.S.T best......3467 thumbs up

clive