What's Up With The Forum Look and Feel?

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
jww
Woolly Bully

What's Up With The Forum Look and Feel?

Post by jww »

I have noticed the past two days that numerous icons are no longer visible on the forum pages. For example, the little note graphic beside new threads when I select the "View posts since last visit" link, the "reply" icon at the end of every thread, and others that I can't fully recall at this moment -- partly because I can't see them any longer.

I have cleared my cache, rebooted a few times, and I am convinced that this may be something with the server or configuration??

Hope we get it fixed, because at the moment I can't reply to any threads - only start new ones ......
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have not heard anything about this. Maybe Chrs or Bruno have?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I had a member write to me about the same issue. When I logged in as him there was no problem. Likely a Windows browser issue - he was using Chrome and hasn't replied to my suggestion of using Firefox. Not often us Mac/Safari users have the advantage in web access!

Nothing has been changed by me in the back end. Vince might have been playing but I would have hoped to heard about it before he did so. I have lately been suggesting to him that he might consider swapping us to myBB, but I don't know if he has done anything at all about it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:I had a member write to me about the same issue. When I logged in as him there was no problem. Likely a Windows browser issue - he was using Chrome and hasn't replied to my suggestion of using Firefox. Not often us Mac/Safari users have the advantage in web access!

Nothing has been changed by me in the back end. Vince might have been playing but I would have hoped to heard about it before he did so. I have lately been suggesting to him that he might consider swapping us to myBB, but I don't know if he has done anything at all about it.

Chris
You nailed it on the head, Chris -- looks to be a Chrome issue -- how annoying. I have used Chrome for quite some time and never had any issues whatsoever - now suddenly this comes out of nowhere.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Glad that it worked. I used Chrome for a while, but after installing Little Snitch, I realised that Chrome, even when not open was continuously feeding data to Google. It would have 4 - 10 outgoing connections active and uploading all the time. I didn't like that and deleted it.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Vince can replicate the problem with Chrome on Windows. I will download and briefly reinstall it to see if it does the same on a Mac.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, it's the same on the Mac version of Chrome. Here is Safari:

and on Chrome:

So it's a Chrome problem for sure. Vince has filed a bug report with Google about the fact the last version of Chrome can't render GIFs properly. Probably has the pronunciation wrong.

Chris
I quit Chrome after taking those screenshots and dumped the app in the Trash. It still has 11 active connections uploading. Think I'll empty that trash!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sam wrote:I have not heard anything about this. Maybe Chrs or Bruno have?
Sam, yes I am using the Iron browser which is an offshoot of Chrome and am having the same problems mentioned.
I thought it was something funky with the forum so never really bothered inquiring about it. I am using the Pale Moon browser to reply to this and it works okay.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I dunno --- I have found FireFox slow and clunky for some time -- -kind of like IE, ergo the reason I moved to Chrome. Because I use multiple devices with Gmail, etc., I found the "google experience" consistent and very useful across platforms. Guess I'll have to think through an exception process for using the forum....... 8)
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There'll probably be an update to Chrome to fix it - we can't be only site in the world where it fails to render a GIF or two.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So here is the weird thing. The issue only shows up in chrome on my laptop. Chrome is working fine on both my S3 and iPad mini.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Perhaps those devices aren't set to automatically download the latest versions?

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I just hit quote and then delete the caption in order to respond in the meantime.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Esoteric83 wrote:I just hit quote and then delete the caption in order to respond in the meantime.
ditto......been doing that for ages ...i thought it was just me and the way i have my stuff set up and so i didn't say anything :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:Perhaps those devices aren't set to automatically download the latest versions?

Chris
Nope --- auto updates on all my devices including my laptop ..... what a pain having to use multiple browsers ..... <<sigh>>
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: What's Up With The Forum Look and Feel?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Does Chrome still play up, or are the images for the buttons in the new skin things that it can render?

Chris
Deleted my copy. Too many outgoing connections uploading to Google, even when the app wasn't running!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Re: What's Up With The Forum Look and Feel?

Post by VinceFX »

drmoss_ca wrote:Does Chrome still play up, or are the images for the buttons in the new skin things that it can render?

Chris
Deleted my copy. Too many outgoing connections uploading to Google, even when the app wasn't running!
I'm using Chrome now and it's working fine. I guess the new images that come with the forum are encoded with more up-to-date standards. Happy posting!
:::Vince:::